How to remove 2 1/2 retaining nut?

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I looked through an older online Groco catalog. I didn't see a socket offered and I don't think 2 & 1/2 inch is the correct size socket.
The Groco site says the nut is 2.28 inches.

Various nice tools suggested here but the useful ones are more expensive than the part. The whole fitting with the nut can be had for $55 and just the nut for $16.

I'd probably try holding or turning the mushroom end with a thru hull tool (homemade if necessary, think an appropriate diameter piece of galvanized pipe with slots cut for the thru hull's internal "ears") and jamming the nut or knocking it around with a chisel. Worst thing that could happen should be that the nut gets so damaged the thru hull needs to be ground out as some others have suggested anyway..

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021
Beneteau 343 Fort Lauderdale
I ground out my thru Hull and it was really in there. I was impressed at how well it sealed and adhered to the hull. In hindsight, I should have just added more sealant to what was a minor gap, but peace of mind is priceless.

Jun 20, 2021
Beneteau 343 Fort Lauderdale
What angle adaptor did you purchase to adapt the thru hull fitting to the valve?
Here's the part I ordered:

I bought the rest on Defender.com but they didn't have a 45 degree elbow.

I'm really hoping to call this done tomorrow.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Use an oscillating tool with a metal cutting blade to cut off the thru hull threaded portion. Then cut vertically into the nut on both sides to effectively cut it in half. Don't cut into the fiberglass, just get close. Now use a chisel or screwdriver to hit into the slot you just cut and the nut will break in two. Push out the rest of the thru hull fitting, might need to twist it to break it free. IIRC a new thru hull comes with a new nut. My local boat yard said they have hundreds of old nuts laying around since a seacock doesn't use the nut. You should consider a real seacock if it will fit if that is what you are doing.

• Helpful