How to remove 2 1/2 retaining nut?

Jun 20, 2021
Beneteau 343 Fort Lauderdale
This is new but it didn't seat right on the outside hull. It's recessed and none of my tools can get a grip on it.

Ideas? I keep thinking there must a sleeve like socket that would mate with it to tighten and loosen, but searches are empty.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Since the boat is a Beneteau, the nut is probably metric.

Large sockets can be purchased at an auto supply store, like NAPA. Get a deep socket.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
Oh. That's a tough one. Even a socket might not have the space to fit. A hammer and screw driver to drive the nut off might work but you risk stripping it. I'm sure someone with more experience will comment soon.

Jan 11, 2014
Oh. That's a tough one. Even a socket might not have the space to fit. A hammer and screw driver to drive the nut off might work but you risk stripping it. I'm sure someone with more experience will comment soon.
Unless the OP is planning on sealing the hole with fiberglass, this leaves the problem of installing a new through hull.

It look like the through hull is surrounded by a pan, it may be necessary to enlarge the hole in the pan to get a socket to fit.

Jun 20, 2021
Unless the OP is planning on sealing the hole with fiberglass, this leaves the problem of installing a new through hull.

It look like the through hull is surrounded by a pan, it may be necessary to enlarge the hole in the pan to get a socket to fit.
I think he meant the old "tap the nut to create to create rotational force" trick. I'd get out the grinder, cut it off and buy a new one before destroying the fiberglass.

I could sacrifice the surface creating the recess as it's just a facade to cover the cover the hull. I suspect a trip to the hardware store is in my future to find a giant pliers or similar.

Jun 20, 2021
Jan 11, 2014
As tempting as they may be, any kind of pliers will run the risk of damaging the nut. Use a deep set socket.

Jun 20, 2021
Off base question, but if it is new how did it get tightened in the first place?

I hand tightened it using a screwdriver to push it. Now, the silicone has hardened, so that technique won't work. I think I identified some tools at Lowe's so I'll go pick them up tomorrow.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Have you soaked the nut and threads in PB Blaster or another of your favorite penetrating lubricants? After that has had time to work and has been repeated a time or two, have a helper insert an appropriate tool/device/flat thing into the through hull opening from the outside so it will be less likely to rotate when you work on the inside where the nut is located.

The "tapping" with a hammer and a chisel might be the best choice because the nut is depressed in a difficult to reach area. Note: Even happy music might not make it less depressed.

An oscillating tool with a metal cutting blade might work in two ways......(1) carefully enlarge the "liner" or pan that is around the nut (dust mask and goggles required) and use one of your tools to turn the nut OR (2) carefully cut the nut. After one relief cut the nut might move. It will definitely move after two or three cuts! Avoid the threads unless you plan to replace the through hull.

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Nov 3, 2018
Cape Dory, Albin 300ms Motorsailer, Vega Baltimore
If it’s a through hull there should be “ears” on the outside. You can get a stepped through hull wrench or just use a piece of flat steel the same size as the opening from a big box store. Turn the through hull from the outside with something jammed against the nut on the inside and you should be able to screw it off.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
snip
I'd get out the grinder, cut it off and buy a new one before destroying the fiberglass.
snip
:plus: What he said. Just grind the head off from the outside where it's easy to work. Then tap it out.
(The reason for the recess is no core where the fitting is. Solid glass is thinner.)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
How about a crow’s foot set for a ratchet? I‘ve used them for many tight places where a socket is too short.