How to keep a Bimini top with split backstay cut outs from leaking when it rains?

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I’m sure that I’m not the only one that has a bimini top that has a split backstay that goes thru it.
I have zippers were the slits in the material are, and then covered by Velcro flaps to prevent rain water entering the slits. The issue is that the one inch circular cutouts where the backstay cables past thru allows rain to enter. I have used racket balls that I cut in half drilled a hole into the center and cut a slit along the side to wrap around the cables. Then I slid it around the top of the Bimini cable openings. This keeps most of the rain out, however eventually it gets thru and starts to drip thru the cable strands.

I know this it a petty issue, my Bimini and enclosure is 100% dry everywhere except for this annoying dripping when ever it rains.

my crazy setup keeps most of the rain out however I can’t seem to stop it from leaking from around and thru the cables themselves.

I see other Bimini tops with cones made out of material that are wrapped and tied to the backstay.
this setup appears to leak even more than my crazy set up.

I can’t believe that with all the advances in technology today nobody has come up with a solution to stop the rain from get thru the cable cut outs.

I was thinking about somehow attaching a sponge or piece of fabric soaked in ptef waterproofing and wrapping the cables in hopes to water proof them.
realy don’t think this is going to work. Still looking for a good solution.

How do all of you keep the rain out of the cut outs? Any designs that really work?
Anyone have any ideas.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have the cone thingies. Ya don’t set your martini or rum under the drips.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
How do all of you keep the rain out of the cut outs? Any designs that really work?
Anyone have any ideas.
We have the cone shaped sunbrella stitched onto ours like you mentioned. There’s a small zipper on the side of the sunbrella to fit around the stay, and a drawstring on top to tie it tight. Actually works pretty well - I’ve never really noticed any drips underneath the stays.

1616033499186.jpeg

(Excuse the excessive spider webs)

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Davidasalior,

Your photo just gave me an idea

my issue is that rain water seepage thru the backstay cable itself and not really around the cut outs. I can get a pretty good seal with racket balls that I place where your cones are. It looks like you have shroud covers on the backstay.
I think that if I use over sized shroud covers that the rain water that leaks thru the cable will hopefully stay within the shroud cover and continue to run out the bottom of the turnbuckles.

I think this might work

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
I also have the shroud covers on ours and that seems to let the water run down the backstay. At least I've never noticed any drips. :cool:

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
There is a reason why some expressions are just so spot on ... "White people problems" comes to mind. I guess that I'm basically astonished that people have even put thought into solutions for this. ;)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We have the cone shaped sunbrella stitched onto ours like you mentioned. There’s a small zipper on the side of the sunbrella to fit around the stay, and a drawstring on top to tie it tight. Actually works pretty well - I’ve never really noticed any drips underneath the stays.
(Excuse the excessive spider webs)
:plus:

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Get a plastic lid (like from a coffee can or from the mate's Tupperware). Make a hole in the center just a tad bit smaller than the backstay. Cut the lid from edge to center hole. Slip it over the stay and down on the canvas. Maybe caulk the cut.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
My C310 has the cone shaped fabric covers that wrap around the stay and tie off. The trick is to wrap the fabric a few times and tie it tightly. They don't seem to leak, at least not enough to notice.
DSCN0100 2.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Try hot glue. Heat up the cables with a BBQ lighter and melt hot glue into the stands around your racketballs. Candle wax should also work.

-Will (Dragonfly)