How to install pad eye on v-berth ceiling for infant lee cloth attachment point

Feb 16, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Bellingham
The title sums it up. I tried some dent puller suction cups as attachment points, but they don't stay attached. I'm worried that if I screw some pad eyes into the ceiling above the V-berth, that they may not be structurally strong enough to hold the lee cloth (which is simply retaining fabric screen to keep our young 'un from tumbling onto the sole), expecially when our daughter chooses to lean into/on it. I don't want to be left with some unsightly holes in the ceiling and still no successful lee cloth attachment point.

My boat is a 1993 Hunter Legend 35.5.

Any thoughts?

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Attach a pad eye to a nice piece of mahogany with though bolts and install it with 4200. That way you can remove it later without leaving a hole.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Try thinking of options that ruled out attachment to the ceiling . On my boat I used a length of 3/8" line in the lee cloth's seam for support. The line had hooks on each end that I clipped to a couple of small folding pad eyes attached to the forward bulk head and a dinette backrest aft. Rarely used it at sea, because the pilot berth was the "hot" bunk and a lee cloth wasn't needed. But It worked really well when I had friends with kids that need a nap while out day sailing. You could insert a closet hangar pole if the toddler was really active. Then you'd have a playpen.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Putting a “padeye” that is secure means drilling a hole and backing plate. The backing plate would be unsightly in the middle of the fore deck.

If you really want to do this try attaching a piece of wood to the inside surface with 5200 adhesive caulk or Epoxy.

A better idea might be to get a playpen that you put the baby into. Collapsible so you can take down and store. When set up it will sit in the VBerth well back from the edge. And be self supported.

I would be careful to keep things soft sided. And padded. When you deal with that surprise 4ft wake from the container ship passing by, every thing that is not tied down or stored inside the boat will go flying inside the boat.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Are there hand holds in the ceiling? If so use some nylon webbing and a buckle to support the lee cloth. We do that for our adult sized lee cloths. Loop the webbing from the lee cloth up through the hand hold and back down to a buckle.

Feb 16, 2021
Try thinking of options that ruled out attachment to the ceiling . On my boat I used a length of 3/8" line in the lee cloth's seam for support. The line had hooks on each end that I clipped to a couple of small folding pad eyes attached to the forward bulk head and a dinette backrest aft. Rarely used it at sea, because the pilot berth was the "hot" bunk and a lee cloth wasn't needed. But It worked really well when I had friends with kids that need a nap while out day sailing. You could insert a closet hangar pole if the toddler was really active. Then you'd have a playpen.
Thanks Joe, the problem is we don't have any adequate attachment points to attach such a line to. Trying to figure that part out...

Feb 16, 2021
Are there hand holds in the ceiling? If so use some nylon webbing and a buckle to support the lee cloth. We do that for our adult sized lee cloths. Loop the webbing from the lee cloth up through the hand hold and back down to a buckle.
No hand holds nor any other attachment points unfortunately... there is a sill, but I would have to drill through or into it in order to attach anything to it.

Feb 16, 2021
Putting a “padeye” that is secure means drilling a hole and backing plate. The backing plate would be unsightly in the middle of the fore deck.

If you really want to do this try attaching a piece of wood to the inside surface with 5200 adhesive caulk or Epoxy.

A better idea might be to get a playpen that you put the baby into. Collapsible so you can take down and store. When set up it will sit in the VBerth well back from the edge. And be self supported.

I would be careful to keep things soft sided. And padded. When you deal with that surprise 4ft wake from the container ship passing by, every thing that is not tied down or stored inside the boat will go flying inside the boat.
I like the idea but 5200 seems a bit too permanent.

Feb 16, 2021
Attach a pad eye to a nice piece of mahogany with though bolts and install it with 4200. That way you can remove it later without leaving a hole.
This seems like the way to go - solid enough to support the kid's weight, but removable without leaving a scar. I like it!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
In/on the headliner of my B323 I was adding additional rope clutches to the outside cabin top. In the process I thru- bolted eye straps in the ceiling of the head, using the rope cltch bolts alread in place.. These were mainly to attach a shower liner to make a shower stall in the head.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
but 5200 seems a bit too permanent.
I just understood it was for your baby girl. Nearly Permanent for attachment points seems reasonable. At least this way they will be “nearly “ indestructible.”.

Feb 16, 2021
In/on the headliner of my B323 I was adding additional rope clutches to the outside cabin top. In the process I thru- bolted eye straps in the ceiling of the head, using the rope cltch bolts alread in place.. These were mainly to attach a shower liner to make a shower stall in the head.
I like the creative multipurpose solution. I unfortunately don’t need any additional hardware on deck anywhere near where I need the attachment points.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
why not attach a nice vertical plank with eyebolts to the anchor locker at the bow, and have a plank running on the beam across the entrance to the v berth is ? then divide v berth into 2 sections with a phifertex lee cloth. remove plank at v berth e ntrance when you want adults to enter...

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
In my last boat I installed a lee cloth on a settee with a piece of 1" stainless tubing running the length of the settee with this style of brackets. I would put one end of the rod in the round bracket then lift over the U bracket and drop it in. It was very secure and kept the kids in the bunk. It was easy to roll up and it slipped under the cushion for sitting. No attachment to the deckhead required.

Feb 16, 2021
I like all the input, much thanks to all. We just got back into our home port, and many projects have made themselves apparent. My instinct regarding the lee cloth install is to go with 3M 4200 on some pieces of wood and attach eyelets to the wood as suggested by @jssailem and @MikeHoncho. It seems once the kids outgrow the need for the restraining lee cloth, 4200 would be removable without leaving a mark. Or am I fooling myself? Is 4200 a good thing to use here, or is there something better to use to adhere wood to the v-berth ceiling that could later be removed without leaving a mark?

Last edited: