How To Illuminate Mast and Spreaders At Anchor?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Anyone else find these "lights" annoying when at the dock? We have them everywhere at all times of the night. Mostly power boaters lighting up decks, hulls, water. Some settle and pleasant others...……………..you can read a book three docks over. Harbor Master gets to the bright ones most of the time. Had a friend/dockmate that had one of these "lights" next to him and all night long blue light in his boat. After several hints to the owner we all got together and confronted him. No more lights on his boat, well at least he didn't turn them on. Sometimes we have to help people be courteous or considerate
You and @thinwater too, that's not what I'm talking about, at all. I'm talking about subtly illuminating my mast and spreaders so they can be seen in an anchorage, in particular, a crowded anchorage, like the Great Salt Pond on Block Is., so I can find the boat on a long, dark dinghy ride back, and so others can see me. Not talking about some low-life, ghetto bling thing.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
1594850375551.png

birds of a feather flock together. if going to harbors like this are your thing then i suspect no one will care if you have your subtle mast and spreaders lit in a non ghetto, non low life way. no one here is thinking natural setting. i get it.

the people that like the wild places are few. where i anchor i'm always along. the veiw of a dark sky and twinkly water will be fine.

me, i have no need to light my boat. i just like it that way, and i'm too cheap to spend my money on mast illumination. got a brand new spinnaker though.

just had a thought. the facing upward spreader lights could help seeing the spinnaker at night for the trimmer. i'll have to think about this.

i would never ever ever go to the harbor in the photo. nothing of interest for me.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Well, I like variety. Block is crowded and a lot of fun - if you like people, and fun - and Tarpaulin Cove is beautifully quiet and serene (unless the CG decides to moor overnight). To each his own.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Like in most things, the difference between tasteful and 'bling' is a matter of proportion and scale. Subtly done and subtly used, these light can be cool, even if they are not my cup of tea. Out alone in a cove, or hosting a soiree at the dock, sure. We had a guy with more money then sense buy a 50ft+ Jeanneau and ticked every lighting option box on the order form. Left them all on all the time, every night. Ridiculous.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Left them all on all the time, every night. Ridiculous.
Wait a minute. That is harsh. How else can he regularly remind everyone else that he has more money than they have?:poop:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Like in most things, the difference between tasteful and 'bling' is a matter of proportion and scale. Subtly done and subtly used, these light can be cool, even if they are not my cup of tea. Out alone in a cove, or hosting a soiree at the dock, sure. We had a guy with more money then sense buy a 50ft+ Jeanneau and ticked every lighting option box on the order form. Left them all on all the time, every night. Ridiculous.
Agreed. I confess I've had trouble finding my boat at Block Island after a night out. Plus, I think as you've said, doing this subtly, can be very cool and classy. In addition to thinking about this, I've purchased a 4-channel RF remote with a 12VDC receiver; I just have to decide which things to energize with it. :)

Oct 31, 2016
Catalina 25 Watertown, MA
SC Law

SECTION 50-21-85. Conditions for operation of vessel displaying blue light; operating procedure in presence of such vessel; violations.

A person shall not operate a vessel displaying or using a rotating, strobing, flashing, or intermittently reflecting blue light unless a duly commissioned law enforcement officer is on board.

• Helpful

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks for that.... if I'm reading between the lines, it is only a problem if you use these lights while underway. Is that how you interpret the warning?
I don't interpret it that way. If you are anchored the lights regs still apply. A waterline or underwater blue light could be mistaken for a law enforcement vessel, due to wave action.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I don't interpret it that way. If you are anchored the lights regs still apply. A waterline or underwater blue light could be mistaken for a law enforcement vessel, due to wave action.
So stick with white and you should be okay... ??? (for anchoring)