how to furl a genoa

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Yes, with an accidental gybe the force would be very large with the main sheet let out. Don't gybe. But it is still the best way to cover the jib and take pressure off so as to allow it to be furled quickly and with the lowest force. Oh and don't gybe.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I have an AP - makes it pretty darn easy to keep the wind where I want it. I take the traveler all the way to leeward and ease the main as previously described. I don't attempt to furl either my genoa or jib going to windward unless there's no wind.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
I think that the technique a sailor uses depends on the capability of the crew - I've got to know our limitations and my wife knows her's. In the 2 or 3 situations where I had to roll up the jib we were sailing close hauled so quickly going to almost head to wind was an easy and quick option.

The thing that bothers me about sailing downwind with inexperienced folks at the helm is a situation called "sailing by the lee", which is very easy to stumble into. I almost "bought the farm" on a race boat when the skipper decided to let his girlfriend drive. I was standing on the cockpit seat watching the crew try to untangle a mess on the bow. I saw the driver start to get into "sailing by the lee" and gently corrected the tiller with my foot and explained why. About 5 minutes later, for some reason I took a step backwards and the next thing I saw was the end of the boom flash by at eye level!! Scared the crap out of me and I wasn't wearing an inflatable life jacket, which I purchased as soon as the boat docked.

Last edited:

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
My wife still hasn't been back on a sailboat, and my current search for a boat is going over like the proverbial turd in the punchbowl because of that fiasco.
That made me spew my coffee :)

I agree that on a normal day it's a simple matter of heading up to take the pressure off and furl away. In my experience however, if you get caught in too much wind the genoa can be difficult/impossible to furl even in full irons. At that point, hindsight is 20/20.

I like the idea of heading downwind and using the main to block. I imagine it would need to be fast and well timed, with the main already well out to the side.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
The only time I've winched the genoa in was tough conditions. We were close hauled motorsailing in a channel when the sheath on the furling line gave way. We suddenly went from a stable ride into the chop to a full genoa in 20-25mph winds. That skinny inner core is incredibly slick and small. IIRC, it required 6 turns on the winch to get enough grip to move the line.

The furling line? Yeah, it was on the list for replacement when we returned home in two days. Instead, it was replaced at our next stopover. And that was a walk to the store.

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
I favor going down wind to furl in heavy weather. Not always, just usually. The key in doing so (and using the main to blanket the jib) is not to accidentally jibe. Consider 3 conditions: fluky wind, waves, sailing by the lee.

In heavy winds, often the wind is comming from a relatively stable direction. Not always, but often. If so, you can watch the direction and be OK.

Waves are really tricky. Let's face it, experience rules when the waves are running. If your helmsperson is not confident, this might be one of the times when you go into the wind. Sailing downwind with a swell can allow the accidental jibe. As skipper it is your job to make the call. By the way, heading up in heavy waves can also be a real problem, the boat will load up really fast.

Sailing by the lee is the biggest issue for the accidental jibe. But, it doesn't have to be. Get a feel for where your boat becomes unstable. 160* or so? With practice you can get really good a judging this. One of my favorite things is to run wing on wing without using a pole. When you get the feeling for this you will have more confidence in using the main while running downwind to furl the jib. Practice in light air, and increasing wind speed till you feel comfortable.