how to furl a genoa

Oct 28, 2014
Ericson 34 Brickyard Cove
I recently got caught with my 130 jib up in a high wind before I could roll it up to a more manageable size. On a broad reach, I let the jib sheet go to reduce the force on the sail but still could not roll up the furler. Finally had to use a winch which jammed, needless to say, not a pleasant day. Would I have been better off heading up into the wind to roll up the jib?
Aside from the obvious rule not to get caught in such a situation, what is the best way to roll up a jib in a high wind.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
You have to take the pressure off, point the boat into the wind, spill the air by loosening the sheet or go on a run and blanket the headsail with the main sail. I prefer a combination of the first two, not pointing enough to have the sails flap but enough that by loosening the sheet some I'm able to roll it in. Sometimes it takes the winch to assist but should not be forced. Sometimes you are running towards your destination with a brisk wind at your stern and you know that when you turn the boat to douse the sails that the wind intensity will triple so you may want to start reducing some sails gradually and using the main to blanket the headsail so you can roll it in some. I do not mind making the turn but the Admiral does not like it when the boat violently heels.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Gosh, that happens to us all. Our favorite technique is to head down and downwind. Less apparent wind. Heading upwind almost always means flogging, which is not good for sail.

Do NOT use a winch UNLESS your furler can do it. ProFurl can, but many don't "allow" it in their manuals. RTFM (Bruce - F stands for Funny!).

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I recently got caught with my 130 jib up in a high wind before I could roll it up to a more manageable size. On a broad reach, I let the jib sheet go to reduce the force on the sail but still could not roll up the furler. Finally had to use a winch which jammed, needless to say, not a pleasant day. Would I have been better off heading up into the wind to roll up the jib?
Aside from the obvious rule not to get caught in such a situation, what is the best way to roll up a jib in a high wind.
If you need to use a winch then something is wrong. You can actually damage the furler that way.

If the sail is partially drawing, though, it can significantly increase the difficulty of furling the sail. But if you truly "let the jib sheet go," as you said, then this suggests that something is wrong with your furler or the way it is setup and you should have a rigger look at it for you.

You could follow Stu's advice and sail the boat downwind, which reduces the apparent wind and also allows you to blanket the jib with the main. Or, head up to where you are close on the wind and take as much pressure off the sail as you can, though you don't want to flog it to death. You could try furling it as you bring the boat head to wind, though a tack. The main thing is to take the pressure off the sail. But if it is still hard to furl even then, I think you need to go over your furler and its installation.

Oct 28, 2014
I will practice turning down wind and letting out the main to blanket the jib. My concern is that the "admiral" will take the helm while I muscle the furler and down wind is the worry of an accidental jibe. By the time I rig a preventer in high winds, more trouble, that could ruin your whole day.

Apr 2, 2011
Catalina 27 Niceville, FL
Having low friction blocks on the furling line makes it easier to pull in manually.

Oct 28, 2014
the PO already installed the low friction blocks for the furling line, those nice black ones from Lewmar with the final block being a ratchet block.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Don't use the winch. Was on my friends hunter41 last summer and wind picked to 35+. Instead of bearing off, he insisted on trying to crank it in still going upwind as the eased sail is flapping like mad and twisting the geona sheets into huge knots. Furler got jammed and he tried to unfurl and refurl it which twisted the sheets even more has the whole sail was now out. It tore in the heavy wind. Guess who got to go forward and lower it the old fashioned way.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
You don't have to completely into the running. On a decent broad reach, you are safe (no real chance of accidental gybe) and you can let go of the genoa sheet without the risk of the sail flogging. If cannot furl the sail up to about 30 kt. by hand, there is something wrong with your furler.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Aside from the obvious rule not to get caught in such a situation,

tartansailboat: You're right, the best thing to do is anticipate the upcoming situation, which generally you can see coming but we've all been caught. Personally, I prefer to head up and come almost head to wind. As Stu J points out, the sail will flap around but if you're quick about it you can minimize the flapping. What I also like about is I can fall off and if I find I didn't roll up enough sail I can easily head up again and make a further adjustment or just roll up the whole sail. The process of heading down wind is tricky in heavy wind and then you have to turn around to come to closehauled. My wife wouldn't like any of that but the "head to wind" deal was easy for her to do.

I had a cheapo furling system and one time single handed I tried to force the situation and the line on the drum jammed. Talk about a mess. The sail was flapping itself to death while I was trying to secure the helm (no auto pilot). I bunched up as much as I could and wrapped a line around it to secure it as best I could in order to get back to the dock. I never made that mistake again -- short cuts don't save anything. In most cases they make a simple situation worse.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I hope you take this the right way, but your "admiral" needs to understand what is going on so she can work with you to help avoid the feared uncomfortable situation. Having her steer through the procedure, while you handle the sail, is a fantastic way for her to contribute and learn.... and re direct her wrath at you for making the boat too tippy or turning too fast.

Jan 10, 2015
. . Pensacola, FL
Was on my friends hunter41 last summer and wind picked to 35+. Instead of bearing off, he insisted on trying to crank it in still going upwind as the eased sail is flapping like mad...Furler got jammed and he tried to unfurl and refurl it which twisted the sheets even more has the whole sail was now out. It tore in the heavy wind.
Ditto on this. Two summers ago on my brother's Beneteau 39 we got caught in a wicked squall out in the Gulf of Mexico (shouldn't have been out there in the first place, but that's another story.) Same thing happened, with ripped sails the end result. It was ugly.

My wife still hasn't been back on a sailboat, and my current search for a boat is going over like the proverbial turd in the punchbowl because of that fiasco.

Oct 28, 2014
I must say, my admiral is a real trouper, loves (nice) sailing and wants to go out again, and in SF Bay during the summer, that shows real courage.

My concern about the down wind maneuver to furl in the jib, is that even with someone experienced at the helm, under those circumstances (sails flailing, wind blowing, sheets flying) an accidental jibe could occur, especially with the main sheeted out to blanket the jib.

Jan 10, 2015
. . Pensacola, FL
I must say, my admiral is a real trouper, loves (nice) sailing and wants to go out again, and in SF Bay during the summer, that shows real courage.
Brother, that's great! I've even offered to let my wife name the boat - even offered to name it after her - but she's still, ahem, less than enthusiastic.

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
There is a limit to luffing up to roll up the jib. With bigger sails, say a #1 genoa on a boat much over 30 feet, when the wind gets to a certain point the flapping sail generates enough drag that you physically can't roll it up without using a winch. And you also have the problem with the sheets tying themselves in knots, etc. You just about have to run off and blanket the jib behind the main, being careful not to jibe, or else bite the bullet, flog the sail, and use the winch. Obviously, better to roll up early and avoid the problem altogether.
As far as jams on the furler drum, they can usually be avoided by keeping some tension on the furling line as the sail is unrolled, making a tight wrap on the drum.

Nov 22, 2011
There is a limit to luffing up to roll up the jib. With bigger sails, say a #1 genoa on a boat much over 30 feet, when the wind gets to a certain point the flapping sail generates enough drag that you physically can't roll it up without using a winch. And you also have the problem with the sheets tying themselves in knots, etc. You just about have to run off and blanket the jib behind the main, being careful not to jibe, or else bite the bullet, flog the sail, and use the winch. Obviously, better to roll up early and avoid the problem altogether.
As far as jams on the furler drum, they can usually be avoided by keeping some tension on the furling line as the sail is unrolled, making a tight wrap on the drum.
With many furlers, I think, if you choose to "bite the bullet and use the winch" you may find yourself having to bite the bullet and replace the furler after you break it.

Why not bring the boat slowly through a tack and furl it quickly as your bow passes head to wind? Sometimes I reef the headsail this way. I don't have a problem with my sheets getting tied into knots any more than any other time I tack.

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
Well, you have a 26-footer, is that correct? With a bigger boat and bigger sails, the situation is a little different. Like I said, when the wind really picks up the average sailor cannot pull hard enough on the furling line to roll up a flogging sail. I say this from experience.

Oct 28, 2014
My boat is an 87 Ericson 34 with a mighty tall rig and originally hailing from San Diego, it has 135 jib that I user for the winter. I agree and glad someone else brings it up, in heavy wind letting the jib sheet go to let the jib fly free, and flog hopelessly around, threatening its own destruction, it is very difficult to furl that puppy in. In desperation, I did the unthinkable and used the winch to furl it it but needless to say, we were not very happy. Aside from the obvious, not to get into that situation in the first place, we are now practicing furling in the jib by heading into the wind and furling as fast as my limited strength will take me. The thought of heading down wind and letting out the main to blanket the jib sure sounds like the right way to go, but the danger of an accidental jibe gives me the willies. I sure wish Harken used a larger diameter drum on their furler. Also, does anyone know why Furlex can be rolled in with a winch or is that just another bubbemeister.

Nov 22, 2011
Well, you have a 26-footer, is that correct? With a bigger boat and bigger sails, the situation is a little different. Like I said, when the wind really picks up the average sailor cannot pull hard enough on the furling line to roll up a flogging sail. I say this from experience.
You are correct that I presently own a 26 footer. You are incorrect in assuming that I have not had experience on larger boats with furlers (including having previously myself owned a larger boat with one). I have not used a winch on these, either.

The Harken manual states that a winch should not be needed and that if one *cannot* furl without a winch then it means something is wrong with the system and/or one's technique. On the other hand, they do allow the use of a winch to make furling *easier* than otherwise on a system that one has confirmed is working properly.

From the Harken MK-III Unit IV manual. Note that this is a large boat furler and the context is "in heavy air":

"In heavy air it is best to ease the sheets slightly then pull on the furling line. Then, repeat the two operations until the sail is completely furled. This puts much less strain on the sail and rig rather than letting the sail luff excessively. The furling line should pull readily. The amount of force required is related to the amount of wind. If the sail will not furl, or if furling requires a great deal of effort, there is a problem with the system. Consult the Troubleshooting Guides on page 29. Do not use a winch to force a system to turn. You may use a winch to make furling easier, if you are certain that the system is operating properly."

Claygr

Feb 10, 2014
Catalina 387 Milwaukee, WI
+1 for sailing downwind to furl the genoa. We don't let the main out to blanket the jib because that won't be effective unless you are sailing almost dead downwind and we never want to get that close to an accidental gybe. It is enough for us to reduce the apparent wind by going to a deep broad reach. And if we had a wind shift or a steering error that produced an accidental gybe, the consequence would be negligible if the main is on a close reach trim.