How to Fix Throttle Creep?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
And the mystery deepens...
I disassembled the pedestal further to analyze the "drill and tap" procedure and I found the screws! They are on the bottom of the control tier! Why, I got no clue. I believe it's the "bottom" because, in it's original orientation, the part number that is cast on the inside is readable, aka not upside down.
I have thought about taking the part to a machine shop and having them remove the control handles, flipping it over and reinstalling them. But that would put the throttle on the opposite side {left) of the binnacle and after 40 years of ownership, I don't think my aged brain is going to re-learn a new system. So, I'll just have to make sure I get the tension correct the first time..
And on that note, any one know where to get the "nylon tipped" screw Kloudie mentioned?
The screw that came out of the hole looks to be stainless, and is too short for any meaningful adjustment.

Thanks for your patience Guys.

May 27, 2004
I didn't see that item on their parts list, but I guess a call to them on Monday will do.
Thanks,
G.

May 27, 2004
Thanks for the pic jrussnogle. I concur, that is the OEM clamp on my 2GM20F.
And, yes, I found that clamp on the initial survey of the system.

I adjusted it to a point that I thought was enough to make a difference. It didn't. I looked at it again, but felt that additional tightening might do damage to the cable. That's when I posted the original question.

Tightening the screw on the throttle shaft has helped somewhat, but it needs a little more adjustment to stop the problem.