How to Fix Throttle Creep?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
My 2GM20F Yanmar has developed throttle creep.
If I set the revs at 2800, it slides down to 2100 or so on its own.
Anyone have a permanent DIY fix?
Thanks.
G.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Thanks.
G.
Have you checked the throttle cable for any mechanism to restrict the cable's movement?

May 27, 2004
I found one "clamp" so far. It seems to hold the outer casing to the engine.
I haven't altered anything, pending suggestions/solutions.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Look inside the binnacle housing. What manufacturer of your binnacle?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Different model boat here, but as Stu suggests, our Edson pedestal has a friction device that adjusts the throttle cable movement so that it holds the throttle setting.

May 27, 2004
It,s a Edson binnacle. I will try the clamp adjustment this weekend.
Thanks guys.
G

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
My clamp was on the cable between the engine and transmission. My throttle did the same thing. It didnt take much to fix it. I had to back it off because it made my throttle to stiff.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
There may be a nylon-tipped friction screw in the pedestal under the compass. The screw would bear on the axle between the control handle and the arm where the cable attaches. the friction clamp as twalker shows could be anywhere on the cable but is often placed close to the engine. picture is of the clamp on my cable:
Throttle Friction.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Thanks.
G.
I had that problem on my O’Day 322 with the same engine and an Edson pedestal.

I tried all sorts of workarounds (bungee cord, nylon wire ties, etc.) until I bit the bullet end opened the top of the pedestal. That required me to remove the compass to get to the throttle tension adjustment.

CDE2CE2D-34C7-4326-9A84-2B2C9BFA5546.jpeg

This is not my pedestal, but it illustrates what you are looking for...the tall screw that tightens down on the throttle shaft. You don’t need to remove this part, just expose the guts of the pedestal.

On my boat, the screw was a short hex-head bolt, IIRC. You don’t want to over tighten it, but I snugged mine down just a little, and it now holds the throttle just fine.

Greg

May 27, 2004
Thanks for all the info. I'm heading to the boat tonight for a little T Day R&R and to work on the solutions provided. I'll report back on Monday with results.
Hope every one ate well! :biggrin:

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Thanks for all the info. I'm heading to the boat tonight for a little T Day R&R and to work on the solutions provided. I'll report back on Monday with results.
Hope every one ate well! :biggrin:
Hope if you added a crimp along the cable, you didn't make it too tight. I made that mistake on my O'Day 322, and now I need to replace the throttle cable because I crimped the outer part too much and bent it too much out of round... Now (thanks to Greg (Tally Ho) I know the proper way to handle it... oh well...

May 27, 2004
Hi Guys. Thanks for all the comments and especially the pics.
The holidays sorta got in the way of fixing the throttle but...
I was hoping the clamp on the engine was gonna be the fix.
WRONG! My bracket mount has no adjustable screw.
So, I removed the compass figuring there must be a tension screw on the shaft.
NOPE. It looks the same as Greg's pick, except there is no screw and no hole where a screw might have been.
So I'll have to resort to Plan C. Of course I have no idea what plan C is yet.
Drill and tap a hole in the binnacle shaft mount for a screw?
Put in a different clamp on the cable engine mount?
Smear the cable with 5200? Uh, maybe not.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Dec 28, 2015
My clamp was farther back on the cable near the transmission. It was just clamped on the cable and not attached to anything else like a mount.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I remembered reading a recommendation to place the friction clamp at the pedestal end of the cable for the best operation. Putting the clamp at the engine can cause the cable to flex excessively and cause the inner cable to press against the outer casing and bind.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
You are right Rich- Originally my clamp was near the engine. I moved it up the cable to where where it comes out of the bottom of the pedestal. Works much better

Dec 28, 2015
I remembered reading a recommendation to place the friction clamp at the pedestal end of the cable for the best operation. Putting the clamp at the engine can cause the cable to flex excessively and cause the inner cable to press against the outer casing and bind.
I'll move mine aft. Probably better access there anyway .

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Smear the cable with 5200?
In other systems we used to use pine pitch dissolved in alcohol. You wipe it on the line, then when the alcohol evaporates, the residual pine pitch is on the line causing additional friction...

OK, do bear in mind I'm telling you this in the same vein that you suggested 5200.... I would not do this on a fuel cable on a boat. (There are indeed other applications where this works..)

I have no clue where you make the adjustment on your cable ....

dj

May 27, 2004
Thanks Guys.
OK, I get the vibration issue and it's a good point. I'll have to source an appropriate "clamp" that can be mounted under the cockpit sole. Any ideas on vendors?

Otherwise, I think drilling and tapping a hole in the pedestal/shaft mount will be my only option. I'll have to "dry run" the drilling operation so that I don't ruin either the pedestal or the throttle shaft...

Dec 28, 2015
Yea all it is is a piece of channel with fabricated set bolt to pinch down on the sheath causing resistance with the inner rod.

• Helpful