how to fix this? 1975 oday 22

A

Anomymous 163294

After you address your damage on the nose, thoroughly inspect your mast, standing rigging, chain plates, anything that may be affected by a hard collision with a dock. The sudden stop at speed would put considerable stress on the tall aluminized pole standing 30' in the air. A lot of strain was taken by everthing aboard when that boat collided with whatever caused that damage. Keep in mind that masts flex in both direction, do there was strain on the forestay, as well as the backstays, when the masthead, sprung back against the stretch it put on the backstays.

-Will
upon further inspection as you suggested. here is what i found. and by what you have suggested , i am assuming that this happened when getting smoked in the front end? or is this caused by someone overtightening ? i also went to where the backstay attaches and its solid no cracks , not loose.

Attachments

A

Anomymous 163294

the white spacers between the deck and hardware will all be takin off. as i do not see this as original layout. i will be using butyl to seal it all up after.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
assuming that this happened when getting smoked in the front end? or is this caused by someone overtightening ?
Couldn't say, both could be the culprit, a hard jibe with a strong wind, time... From what I can see in the picture, it doesn't look like a significant issue. Others, with a more experienced eye, may see it differently.

Rebedding with butyl tape is a good idea.

-Will