How to determine the regatta class of a 309

Feb 12, 2020
Catalina 309 Winthrop, MA
Hi,
I would like to take part in a regatta in Newport with my Catalina 309 and I was wondering how to determine the class numbers that I need to put on the main sail.
Are they standard for the Cat 309 or I need to higher somebody to measure the boat and rank it in a specific class?

Thank you for your help.

Take care.

Andrea

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
The sail numbers are usually the build number by manufacturer say if you had the 550th 309 built you'd put 309. But that being said I couldn't find out mine so I just made up a number and checked pages of local phrf#'s to make sure no one else in my area had that number

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I think you are referring to a PHRF number required for sanctioned races, if so you must be "rated" (measured etc.) by the local PHRF governing body.
Welcome to PHRF Narragansett Bay | PHRF of Narragansett Bay
True. However, many production boats already have their phrf #s developed by good race committees. You do NOT have a "one-off" unique boat, you have one that is substantially if not identically the same as a Catalina 30, CY made 6200 of them! You may want to find out if the RC already has your phrf developed, usually with adjustments for folding props, different sized headsails and furlers. Worth giving it a try first.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
From US Sailing. This should give you an idea of your PHRF handicap rating. As for the sail numbers, those come from your Hull ID Number.
catalina309.jpg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
In addition to the above look at the NOR. Many times this will include PHRF rating info especially if they are trying to attract boats out of their PHRF rating area. If not there, contact the race sponsor (Or organization) for those details. All PHRF races that I know of have a sanctioning organization that is part of USSA.

May 7, 2020
Catalina 309 Keyport
Hello! I just joined this group and am happy to be part of this forum!

I purchased a BEAUTIFUL 2010 309 last year and plan to race her this year (pandemic permitting). Is a rig with in mast furling rated differently?