How to deal with idiots on the water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2011
dhays said:
If there is any way that you could install a RAM mic for a radio, it might be a good idea. I have a VHF in the cabin, but I've only actually used it there at the nav station a couple times (and that was to just listen to the weather forecast for the next day). OTOH, the RAM mic in the cockpit is always being used.

Of course, with a new-to-you boat, spending additional money on other "stuff" is probably difficult at the moment, but some day...

I only have one VHF. One of the things on my list of "wants" for the boat is a handheld VHF to use as a second.
If I may offer a suggestion for your Santa list. I have an older model that is similar to this. This is what I keep for emergencies and in my ditch bag. Mine isn't this fancy but I like easy especially for guests that may or may not remember what they were told if something drastic happens. Buttons are fairly easy to remember or easy to describe. SC

http://www.standardhorizon.com/inde...C181DE69A09BC8877EA&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0

May 25, 2004
Catalina 27 Carlyle Lake
Well, my response will probably be unsatisfying to those who are still young enough to have any testosterone.

I have become resigned to stupidity on the water. I never assume ANYBODY, even sailors, will manuveur correctly. And, I just don't allow myself to get steamed about it anymore. Just ruins my day, doesn't do a thing to the idiot. I think many of them just enjoy getting a rise out of you. I'm looking forward to retirement in a few months, when I intend to sail only on weekdays.

My advice ... manuveur to stay clear just as you do in good defensive driving, stay under power in narrow channels, focus on the feelings of sun and wind in your face, and relish in the thought that selfish behavior usually brings it's own reward.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I have always made way for people that are working, truckers, boatmen, store clerks, highway work crews, whatever. I figure that i am just playing and I can give way and still enjoy my day. If you have a depth sounder explore outside the marked channel, you may discover that there is more water than is used.

Dec 4, 2010
hunter 31 tampa area
We were out last weekend and a big cruiser came blowing by and we dropped in a hole as a result. Rigging did a dance. My buddy looked at me and said, " I guarantee that was a boat from New Jersey." It was!

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
I have to agree with Clevispin,Ross and Stu with their gentle suggestions that you should stop concentrating on who is an idiot and find a way to have a great sail where you can. There will be idiots wherever you go, and they will be in the forefront of every experience if you put them there........ decide to be a most considerate sailor, assume nothing and learn to see the bigger picture.

We sail in San Diego harbor and if we wanted to, each and every sail could include many encounters with mean, stupid, ignorant, novice or arrogant skippers but we use clues to decide who we might need to give way to (fenders flying, enormous wakes) and we enjoy the ride. Life's too short... look for the good instead..... am I wrong to assume you take terrible drivers on the road very personally as well. Maybe make a slight attitude adjustment instead, it does work. :)

BTW, did you really mean that you carry a gun on board and would fire a warning shot with it??

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Clevispin wrote....
.... focus on the feelings of sun and wind in your face, and relish in the thought that selfish behavior usually brings it's own reward.

love this.......:)

Apr 10, 2011
'94 Macgregor 26 S 26S CA North Coast
RRanch,
All the above reactions have been thought of by just about any boater/sailer at one time or another. However, if you fire a weapon at someone it better not be a warning shot, because there is a lot of folks who would think your opening the ball, and will chase you down and shoot back. Releasing a line in the water is a method that may catch the wrong vessel. Many years ago I had my boat peppered by shotgun blasts from some pissed off duck hunters I did not see in a small boat hidden in the reeds of a channel. I put several scoped rifle rounds into thier bow at and below the water line. They had no other alternative than to start, and keep, moving to keep the bow up. Legally I could have used deadly force, which could be used against you if you pop off a few rounds. Nowadays, every reaction has potential for legal ramifications
so cover your butt by not turning over your bank account to some idiot that says you caused him mental anguish, or slipped and fell on the deck when his prop got fouled. The radio and the camera are great. If you alerted other boaters and asked all who see the idiot to call in.....I think would be the safest plan of attack. I also got a bogus assault charge dropped when a camera proved it was self-defense. Keep your blood-sugar where it needs to be, keep your head and keep your freedom. If anything like that happened to me 18 yrs ago, there'd have been blood in the water........now I'm to old to do prison and there's a wife, kids and grandkids that could better use what little bankroll I have, instead of giving it to some "slip and fall shyster". Whatever you do.......go stealth, no loud noises that attrack attention, no profiling on deck so everyone sees you have a gun and mean business, or let anyone see you shoot that beach rock with your Whammo sling shot, and remember....your kids will be watching and learning. Just think and smile.....knowing that idiot is going to meet another idiot and eventually one of them will be sunk and one will be in prison. And the cycle of idiots goes on and on. Don't get caught up pard.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Too bad they don't turn it into some sport and let us shoot paintballs at them. I often think that it should be legal to be able to shoot PWC operators with them as a game!

Seriously, People are going to act stupid. Then there are those people who are already stupid and now they are drunk. Both things are really bad combinations.

Best offense is a good defense. Position yourself and your boat so that you have options. Report them when you can.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
I am quite convinced that the same people that are crazy on the water are also the ones in cars on the roads. Take your half of a two lane road down the middle, blow through red lights and stop signs, ignore the lines painted on the roads, drive with no regard for the posted speed limits, carry a radar detector to avoid speeding tickets, take the express line at the grocery store with a basket full of stuff.. It is a rather long list of traits that we see everywhere.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
For many years we sailed our C22 and then C25 out the Oakland Estuary, almost a good hour out to San Francisco Bay from our marina. There were freighters to dodge, pilot and work boats that threw up HUGE wakes, ferries, jet skis and the usual assortment of small, medium and large powerboats doing their best to show how stupid they were by throttling up just below plane and creating the largest wake they could 'cuz they hadn't understood that there's slow, medium and fast: slow works, fast works but medium is just horrible for anyone and everyone around them. There are also no wake zones all over the place, but do they care or even know? Who knows.

In addition, and perhaps regardless of this type of nautical traffic, many folks serenly sail in and out of this estuary. Calmly and confidently. No shooting, no nastiness, just fun sailing in windy but protected waters.

What makes it work?

A couple of things:

1. Learn how to deal with a LARGE wake from a boat that is passing you. Altogether too many mostly smaller sailboats turn 90 degrees into the wake and get violently jostled. All you really have to do is a 20 or 30 degree turn and PARALLEL the wake to the waves in line with your boat's fore and aft. Instead of a violent corkscrewing motion if you don't turn at all 'cuz the waves are hitting your quarter, and instead of the violent and jarring bow digging into those waves, the boat will just rock some side to side in one plane, you keep your teeth and your rigging intact and then just resume your course. It's about as "hidden" a maneuver as the midships spring line and I still don't get why so many sailboat skippers just don't get it. If you're sailing with quartering sea, it s*ucks, right? So you either go to a beam reach or a run to deal with the wind waves. Same thing with passing powerboat wakes. Learn how to do it, and your life gets real easy, real quick.

2. Stop with the "right of way" nonsense. As suggested, chill and enjoy the ride.

3. Learn how to do #1.

4. Leave your guns and paintballs and attitude at home. Man, listening to this drivel about clueless powerboats skippers makes me think that the accusers have too much testosterone, you know, the same thing they accuse the OTHER GUY of having.

Safe sailing. Have fun out there. Motor away from congested areas, you'll get to the good cruising grounds quicker and in a better frame of mind.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
For many years we sailed our C22 and then C25 out the Oakland Estuary, almost a good hour out to San Francisco Bay from our marina. There were freighters to dodge, pilot and work boats that threw up HUGE wakes, ferries, jet skis and the usual assortment of small, medium and large powerboats doing their best to show how stupid they were by throttling up just below plane and creating the largest wake they could 'cuz they hadn't understood that there's slow, medium and fast: slow works, fast works but medium is just horrible for anyone and everyone around them. There are also no wake zones all over the place, but do they care or even know? Who knows.

In addition, and perhaps regardless of this type of nautical traffic, many folks serenly sail in and out of this estuary. Calmly and confidently. No shooting, no nastiness, just fun sailing in windy but protected waters.

What makes it work?

A couple of things:

1. Learn how to deal with a LARGE wake from a boat that is passing you. Altogether too many mostly smaller sailboats turn 90 degrees into the wake and get violently jostled. All you really have to do is a 20 or 30 degree turn and PARALLEL the wake to the waves in line with your boat's fore and aft. Instead of a violent corkscrewing motion if you don't turn at all 'cuz the waves are hitting your quarter, and instead of the violent and jarring bow digging into those waves, the boat will just rock some side to side in one plane, you keep your teeth and your rigging intact and then just resume your course. It's about as "hidden" a maneuver as the midships spring line and I still don't get why so many sailboat skippers just don't get it. If you're sailing with quartering sea, it s*ucks, right? So you either go to a beam reach or a run to deal with the wind waves. Same thing with passing powerboat wakes. Learn how to do it, and your life gets real easy, real quick.

2. Stop with the "right of way" nonsense. As suggested, chill and enjoy the ride.

3. Learn how to do #1.

4. Leave your guns and paintballs and attitude at home. Man, listening to this drivel about clueless powerboats skippers makes me think that the accusers have too much testosterone, you know, the same thing they accuse the OTHER GUY of having.

Safe sailing. Have fun out there. Motor away from congested areas, you'll get to the good cruising grounds quicker and in a better frame of mind.
and that my friend is called the path of least resistance....and it works very well of other things in life....good post Stu!!!

regards

woody

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
OH BOY! We have been sailing on Lake Mead for decades. 99% of the time we enjoy our outings. It's a big lake but it seems that a lot of power boaters just have to come by for a look. Many times alcohol is involved. I have nearly been rammed, had empty bottles tossed at me and broken on the deck and generally been threatened. The rangers will arrest these folks if caught but they are spread thin with 500+ miles of shoreline. By and large boaters are pretty conscientious. It's the idiots that ruin it. I have seen 12 year old kids driving 454 ci power boats pulling adults water skiing. I have seen a jet ski go through the side of another boat. I have seen boats run aground on the beach at full speed. I think these folks probably drive on the road the same way they boat. My wife was a nurse for many years at the local hospital and she saw some horror stories, mostly stupidity mixed with alcohol. You need a license to drive a car, you need a license to fly a plane, you even need a license to get married. Any Idiot can buy a boat and become a public menace with no knowledge or proper training. I could go on but, That's my rant. Fair Winds and Full Sails....

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Wasn't advocating for licensing. Don't need more govt regs. At the least require a little knowledge when registering water craft, like which way is the pointy end.:eek: Ya can't fix stupid. Lake Mead being a national park. A boat can be impounded for violations, DUI, reckless driving, etc. by the Rangers and you have to see a federal judge. Fair winds and full sails...

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA

What makes it work?

A couple of things:

3. Learn how to do #1.

Excellent post Stu. Those are great tips about manuevering down a narrow passage (like our estuary). I just think about what I'm going to do and stay out of harms way. Your point 4 is on the mark, if I worry too much about others and react inappropriatly, I will become them.

So with that being said Stu, its safe for you to be out on the estuary this weekend. I am helping my friend Cliff on Boundless with his first haulout and bottom job over at Svendsens. You don't have to worry about Alchemie acting up. If you're not up to anything, stop by and we can meet face to face since we're such close neighbors.

Allan

Sep 20, 2011
Ranger 29 Corpus christi
I think the people reading this now are getting me wrong. I'm not going to go shooting at anyone but in case noone watches the news people do get killed fairly often in South Texas on the water by drug smugglers and illegals. Everyone needs protection and it is perfectly legal. I don't have a bad attitude either. I never drive over 65 and I move out of the way for cops and truckers on the side of the road. My parents taught me some respect for the law I guess. I don't get stressed on the water either and wakes don't bother me at all but right is right and wrong is wrong and people need to obey the laws and rules on the water. It would make a better day for everyone. I just didn't know what to do for reporting idiots. I know in the Navy we called the local authorities or coast guard when people got really stupid. Or just ran them over. Can't do that in my little boat. I don't have the legal defense fund of the US Navy either. I do have a camera and a cell phone though. And a radio. I liked those ideas. Did I mention I was a cop for a while too? I like to obey the law.

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
here's the deal...you can take photos, or call the CG, but bottom line that's not going to change a thing. Sure, there may be some satisfaction in the guy getting his due, but you probably won't even know if it actually happened, assuming it does (and I doubt it) and it certainly won't have any lasting effect.

Don't stess yourself out over the idiots, either on the water or anywhere
else for that matter, or you will definitely be overstressed. :cussing:

I can't really take my own advice, but last time I was out every boat I saw tried to kill me. Some days are like that. Best to just smile, wave a friendly gesture, and hope karma really exists. :D

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Stu.....The stuff above the line that said "Seriously,......" was said in jest. That is why the seriously line was in there.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
The problem we face is that we (the good guys) are constrained by the law but they (the bad guys) are free to run rough shod over the world. I think that our best response is to behave like skunks. Mind our own business and be able to respond defensively when we must.

Status
Not open for further replies.