How to deal with idiots on the water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhays

Aug 2, 2010
Catalina C400 Gig Harbor, WA
If I may offer a suggestion for your Santa list. I have an older model that is similar to this. This is what I keep for emergencies and in my ditch bag. Mine isn't this fancy but I like easy especially for guests that may or may not remember what they were told if something drastic happens. Buttons are fairly easy to remember or easy to describe. SC

http://www.standardhorizon.com/inde...C181DE69A09BC8877EA&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0
Good suggestion, thanks. My Mom uses something like this when she is Kayaking. I think hers has a built in GPS receiver that can send location along with DSC.

(I'm an old fart. My Mom just happens to be older still...)

Dave

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
Even motoring out has it's problems. While motoring inside our marina I had an ass in a 50ft motoryaght running right up my stern, remember I only have an 11hp inboard here, he had twin 400s and was throttling up. He figures I'm smaller and should move over, which I grudgingly did just a tad to starboard, and placed me right up on a sandbar. The buoy was marking 8 ft but I begged to differ as I was still a good distance outside it. The aforementioned ass kept on going, but a kindly old gentleman with a Gibson had no problems helping me out.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Have a good camera or video recorder and call the local authority. A picture is worth a thousand words.
.... and simply send the pics, and your documented narrative, to several national and local boating insurance underwriters. If you 'hit' the right underwriter, it will be much worse than the CG's wrath.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Ever had some knucklehead tailgating you at 75 down the interstate? probably the same fool.

Sep 6, 2011
dhays said:
Good suggestion, thanks. My Mom uses something like this when she is Kayaking. I think hers has a built in GPS receiver that can send location along with DSC.

(I'm an old fart. My Mom just happens to be older still...)

Dave
That is all mine does. Position, SOG, etc. I'd be worried if you were older than mom! That would be a break in the time continuom. :) SC

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Even motoring out has it's problems. While motoring inside our marina I had an ass in a 50ft motoryaght running right up my stern, remember I only have an 11hp inboard here, he had twin 400s and was throttling up. He figures I'm smaller and should move over, which I grudgingly did just a tad to starboard, and placed me right up on a sandbar. The buoy was marking 8 ft but I begged to differ as I was still a good distance outside it. The aforementioned ass kept on going, but a kindly old gentleman with a Gibson had no problems helping me out.
I'm torn on this one. Why did you move over? He was overtaking you.

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
A friend of my wife's family had a Ranger 29 at the CC municipal. What is the name of the previous owner of your boat? what marina are you in now? I was at Marina Del Sol, then CC Municipal then when I was up on the waiting list moved to Port Aransas Municipal where I am now.
I gotta tell you I have been sailing there for 3 years and never had a problem with anyone. I am very easy going though. I agree some people need shooting but probably not in a pleasure boating situation. This is not a huge boating area. If I had a real beef with someone I would find out where they are slipped and meet them at their dock. Violence definitely has it's place but I think grace is a better way to live.
Also I give those working on their boats in the bay the right of way no matter what my "rights" are.

Sep 25, 2008
Ever had some knucklehead tailgating you at 75 down the interstate? probably the same fool.
Sorry about that Ross, but you gotta see it from my point of view, I was in a hurry!

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Sorry about that Ross, but you gotta see it from my point of view, I was in a hurry!
Decades ago when I took driver's ed, we were taught to "keep right except to pass". Notice how many people enter the highway and immediately move to the left-most lane regardless of what the flow of traffic is doing?

Just gotta go with the flow. Good to leave the left-most lane open for us individuals who are running a little late. If not, we will just pass you on the right - you know, the open lane...

Remember, these rules are not absolutes in the universe. Obeying them, at least in spirit, makes life better for all. Be tolerant to those who have not quite learned the details yet.

Sep 25, 2008
Decades ago when I took driver's ed, we were taught to "keep right except to pass". Notice how many people enter the highway and immediately move to the left-most lane regardless of what the flow of traffic is doing?

Just gotta go with the flow. Good to leave the left-most lane open for us individuals who are running a little late. If not, we will just pass you on the right - you know, the open lane...

Remember, these rules are not absolutes in the universe. Obeying them, at least in spirit, makes life better for all. Be tolerant to those who have not quite learned the details yet.
They give tickets for driving in the left most lane in Texas. Here it's called the passing lane. the other lanes are driving lanes. I am a slow poke cause I am tired of paying tickets. But the people driving in the passing lanes are breaking the law just like the people speeding or following too closely.
I agree with following the spirit of the law instead of being a ritualist about it. The colregs actually have a provision for following the spirit. No matter what happens and who's 'right' YOU avoid a collision.

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Stupidity is contagious.
Avoid it 'like the plague' and you'll usually be OK

Rich

Sep 20, 2011
Ranger 29 Corpus christi
Here in Lubbock, they keep having public service announcements on tv and radio telling people to stay in the left lane on the loop and do the speed limit unless exiting. They say because too many accidents were happening because of people in the on ramp not yielding to people in the traffic lane. I got hit by one of them a couple years ago. The speed limit is 65 which is what I was doing, and the nut just creamed me on the right. We were driving our big red crew cab F350 and never even saw him coming. It totaled my truck and he never even slowed down.

Anyway, I don't believe anyone is responsible to move over for an overtaking boat. The proper thing is to hold your course and speed right and let them worry about going around if they can right. If they can't oh well. But I do understand. Ships understand this. Some pleasure boaters don't and would just run you down. I probably would have moved too. Not much choice.

Jan 14, 2011
tanzer tanzer 28 bathurst nb
when you get ready to change boat, a sudden course change while being overtaken would do it , the overtaking boat would be responsible

JVB

Jan 26, 2006
Schock Wavelength 24 Lake Murray, SC
rrranch.....around here the mile long channel gets loaded up with yayhoos on everything from kayaks to jetskis to 65 foot cigarettes to 100 fishermen day boats. Some sailors insist on tacking out to the ocean in this traffic without realizing that a lot of the hot rods just don't know the rules of the road that they think they own. Choose to chill out and enjoy your quiet motoring experience out to less populated waters before you start your sailing.
Don't contribute to the congestion in a busy channel by tacking or moving slowly. Take a direct course. Motor or motor-sail to get the flock outta there in minimum time. You'll have fewer conflicts.

Sep 25, 2008
Here in Lubbock, they keep having public service announcements on tv and radio telling people to stay in the left lane on the loop and do the speed limit unless exiting. They say because too many accidents were happening because of people in the on ramp not yielding to people in the traffic lane. I got hit by one of them a couple years ago. The speed limit is 65 which is what I was doing, and the nut just creamed me on the right. We were driving our big red crew cab F350 and never even saw him coming. It totaled my truck and he never even slowed down.

Anyway, I don't believe anyone is responsible to move over for an overtaking boat. The proper thing is to hold your course and speed right and let them worry about going around if they can right. If they can't oh well. But I do understand. Ships understand this. Some pleasure boaters don't and would just run you down. I probably would have moved too. Not much choice.
It looks like you have your mind made up. And if that's what you believe "I don't believe anyone is responsible to move over for an overtaking boat", you'll keep having 'idiots' run into you in your F350 and 'idiots' run you down on the ICW. I hope you see the common thread in this long line of idiots finding you, YOU.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
looks this tread has come full circle ........

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Clevispin wrote....
.... focus on the feelings of sun and wind in your face, and relish in the thought that selfish behavior usually brings it's own reward.

love this.......:)
yup, need a "like" or thumbs up button!

Status
Not open for further replies.