How to change Trailer tire with Boat on Trailer?

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
I realized the jack I keep on my vehicle had never been tested. It was a gift, sort of. I jacked the trailer/boat at the starboard side of the axle. I am letting it sit. So far, no bleed down.

Mine has been sitting a few months due to surgery and the like. I should have blocked it but didn't. My new tires are no longer round. I guess it will bounce for a just few miles. I hope so!

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Why would want to jack up the trailer from the frame instead ? The axle is made to move vertically . The frame is not. Lifting from the axle is the same as the tire going over a bump . Lifting from the frame means stressing a singular point in the square tubing. Lifting from the axle spreads the load to the proper attachment points . Just how the trailer was designed .
You can bend the axle/crossmember and cause your camber to be out of wack. Many trailers have a small amount of prebend in this crossmember so it ends up straight when the trailer is loaded

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I bought new tires for the Hunter trailer and I was going to try and swap them one at a time with the boat/trailer loaded. I don't have anything sturdy enough to lift a 12000 lb boat and trailer axle safely. I am going to wait and hope we get enough rain to fill the reservoir, launch the boat, and take the empty trailer into town to get them done. I just hope they don't pop between now and splash time.

Last edited:

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
You can bend the axle/crossmember and cause your camber to be out of wack. Many trailers have a small amount of prebend in this crossmember so it ends up straight when the trailer is loaded
I called a LoadRite dealer. Mine, single axle under 1000 pounds is jacked from the axle near the leaf spring.

Anything larger is something else. Personal research is the key here.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
You can jack from the axle or from the frame, just don't do anything obviously stupid, like jacking far away from where load is applied. When I'm only removing one wheel I generally jack from under the spring. On the other hand, when I put the whole thing (trailer and boat) up on blocks last winter to remove the axles, I jacked from the frame--again, being mindful of bending loads, which are by far the most likely to cause you grief if you don't think it through.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
thanks for all the helpful hints. I'm going to get boat US to change out the slow-leak tire. get the yard to then launch the boat from their travel lift and drive it into her slip. then take the empty trailer for overhaul to the trailer place in town. check and r/r/ the bearings hubs spindles etc. the post and link to the story about the boat trailer having good well greased bearings but one smoking and damaged spindle and hub that broke down in seattle. (on the freeway at 11 pm, on the way to 2 week vacation in the san Juans convinced me )