How to change Trailer tire with Boat on Trailer?

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
my 2,000 # sailboat is sitting on its dual-axle trailer (LoadMaster 5 Starr. 2011 ) . (4 tires , 2 axles. ) At haul out in October, we noticed the port rear tire has a slow leak and is losing air. I pumped it up twice and after a month the air pressure is down. significantly. The boat is on the hard at the marina . I intend to buy 2 new tires . the questions are:

question 1: how to change out the bad tire for a new one, with the boat on the trailer ?
(the only thing I have is an old scissors jack and some wood chocks. ) do I have to hire a mechanic ?

question 2: is it worth paying the marina crew $$$ to put the boat in slings for a couple hours to change out the tires ?

question 3: has anyone used the trailer coverage on a Boat US policy ?

thanks for any advice you have. I want to get this rig on the road in march 2024 for a long 600 mile road trip and I sure don't want a breakdown at the side of the interstate.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I frequently get flat tires with our 25' Oday when it's on the trailer . As such I carry a three ton jack anytime I trailer . Ichose a bottle jack that lifts tfrom the axle . Much less pumping and there is room to remove the tire without the jack in the way . Loosen the lugnuts slightly before begining to lift the trailer .

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
Harbour Freight has a selection of 3 ton floor jacks starting around $100. When I tow, I keep a jack, spare and lug wrench on my vehicle.

Safety tip: Leave the trailer hitched and break the torque on the lug nuts prior to lifting. Use the jack for lifting only. A small block of wood between the jack and axle will help prevent slippage. Be ready with concrete or wood blocks to support the weight. Change the wheel. Tighten the lug nuts. Lower the trailer and finish torquing the lug nuts.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You change the same as any other trailer with a tippy load. Use a jack that is rated for the estimated trailer and load weight. Block the wheels on opposing side and leave the trailer attached to the tow vehicle for additional security. Use an assortment of blocks to support the jack at it's proper level to keep vertical movement minimal. I used a car style scissors jack for my beach cat, but the total package with boat and trailer was less than 1,000 lbs, so you're gonna want a more robust jack. I also had a bottle jack that was rated for 2k but the scissors jack was easier to set up.

The important thing is horizontal stability and minimal vertical movement from the jack. That's why you need a coup]e of wide wooden blocks to create a stable base pad for it.

You should NOT pay the yard to do this....unless you're a total klutz. If you choose to call roadside service instead of DIY, I'd still learn how to do it, and you might find an RV service store more helpful. Besides helping you choose the correct size jack and accessories (like safety gear and jack stands, etc) they can most likely walk you through the changing process as it might occur on the road rather than in your driveway. But you really want to learn how to do it, even if you have a tow package on your car insurance. I highly recommend you practice changing the trailer tire in security of the yard or your driveway once you get your gear. BTW, keep everything in a box or canvas bag once you've assembled you change kit. Good luck, have fun.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It is a good idea to support the trailer frame with blocks and to chock the tire on the other side.
I'd spray the lug nuts with something like PB Blaster for a few weeks, if possible, before. Just a little squirt on the nut. You may want to have a torch on deck to heat the nuts if they won't budge. Past that - I'd probably call in the pros.
When I bought a new trailer I think the builder recommended jacking the trailer up and blocking it for winter layover to take the pressure off the tires. And I suppose it would be easier on the suspension.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Suggest you take it to a trailer place and have them inspect the wheel bearings before travelling any distance...

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
You could also buy a pair of jack stands...try Walmart or Harbor Freight. Probably easier to use, and possibly more secure than wooden blocks.

I have about 8 of them. I use four of them to hold my Miata up when I rotate the tires and change the oil at the same time; also when the car is in winter storage. So probably would work for you to jack one axle up while you have the tires replaced.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
There's lots of good advice already on questions 1 and 2 so I'll talk about 3. I'm in Canada, not the U.S., but I expect the insurance situation is similar. I keep my boat on a trailer and tow it every time I sail, so I have on-trailer coverage included in my regular policy. However, when I bought the boat I had to tow it cross country for several days to get it home and I got a "rider" for additional coverage. Anyway, the point is, yes, you probably can add coverage for your 600 mile road trip to your existing boat policy. (I'm sorry, I've forgotten the details about the additional coverage I got but I think it had to do with theft. I was worried about the whole rig being stolen while I was asleep in my motel room.)

Speaking of the road trip, I second @kloudie1 's advice about the wheel bearings. It sounds like that trailer hasn't been used for on-road work for some time. If that's the case, I'd say you should probably just replace all the wheel bearings before your road trip. They're not expensive and it's not much additional work once you're in there inspecting them, anyway. I also keep a wheel bearing set in my tow vehicle in case road-side replacement becomes necessary but that's probably overkill, in your case.

Oct 31, 2016
Catalina 25 Watertown, MA
Blaylock American Metal EZ-100 Wheel Chock- Amazon $78

First loosen the lug bolts, then place the chock under the good tire, and then roll the trailer with boat up on the chock. Takes less than 10 mins to change a tire. Practice first, you don't want to be doing something for the first time on the side of the highway with traffic inches from you. Must do this on flat ground and once up on the chock, block your tires and leave the trailer hitched to your vehicle.

I would not recommend a cheap floor jacks. Several reasons. First, even though they are listed as 2 1/2 or 3 tonne, they are not. I've blown out 2 cheap jacks in short order. I now use a 4 tonne professional jack, $700.

Second, never rely on a floor or bottle jack, you must use jack stands. I have 4, 4 tonne stands. Floor jacks will blow out when you least are expecting. (ask me how I know)

Third, never over jack a trailer with boat loaded at one point on the frame. With 5 inch beams, you will twist and distort the trailer frame. Jack one point behind the back wheel just enough and place a jack stand. Then jack in front of front wheel and place second jack. Rinse and repeat until tires off the ground.

More background. A duel axel trailer with 5 inch frame has typically 3500 lbs axels, and a gross load of 7000 lbs. This includes boat and trailer. Trailers are typically ~1000 lbs, leaving up to 6000 lbs for the boat. I have found most trailer sailer boats weight in an almost 1.5 times their published weight. For example my Catalina 25 is published at 4550 lbs, but the actual weight (without gear, motor, empty tanks) is 6800 lbs.

Summary, take your time, safety first, practice.

Oct 31, 2016
Catalina 25 Watertown, MA
Road trip advice. 2 years ago, I did a 3 day, 1100 mile marathon in winter up the east coast. Never again for other reasons. But I was prepared. After rebuilding the trailer (new axels, 3750 lbs each, new springs, new disc brakes/hubs hydraulic over electric, new lights (led) and wiring, new high quality load D tires. In addition to a spare tire (also new), I brought along a complete extra disc brake hub (with bearings), grease/grease gun, e-z tire chock (see above), 4 tonne floor jack, 4 jack stands, extra brake fluid, tire chocks, basic tools, emergency safety sign, road flares and finally, BOATUS trailer insurance. Thankfully, I never needed any of it.

One item that I see all the time is people using old under rated tires, trying to get that last mile out of them. Trailer tires fail from rotting in the sun, not from use. I would never run tires more than 2 or 3 years old for a long trip. Purchase good quality properly rated trailer tires. Do not use non-trailer tires, old tires, or cheap bargain basement tires. And carry a new spare. An old spare is useless when you most need it.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
If your carry a spare wheel then it is also worth having the jack, wrench, blocks and knowledge to be able to use it.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
There's lots of good advice already on questions 1 and 2 so I'll talk about 3. I'm in Canada, not the U.S., but I expect the insurance situation is similar. I keep my boat on a trailer and tow it every time I sail, so I have on-trailer coverage included in my regular policy. However, when I bought the boat I had to tow it cross country for several days to get it home and I got a "rider" for additional coverage. Anyway, the point is, yes, you probably can add coverage for your 600 mile road trip to your existing boat policy. (I'm sorry, I've forgotten the details about the additional coverage I got but I think it had to do with theft. I was worried about the whole rig being stolen while I was asleep in my motel room.)

Speaking of the road trip, I second @kloudie1 I also keep a wheel bearing set in my tow vehicle in case road-side replacement becomes necessary but that's probably overkill, in your case.
Same:plus::beer:

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Make an appointment with a tire shop, buy a 12v tire pump, pump the tire, drive to tire shop with boat on the trailer and let them replace the tire. Buy and carry a hydraulic jack.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Jack up the trailer from the frame, not the axle. I'd recommend a floor jack. I have had two Harbor Freight jacks - a 2.5 ton and an aluminum one. Both do the job. The big steel one is much more stable and has more height. I consider bottle jacks for emergencies only due to instability.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
thanks for all the great advice and suggestions.. I do have a ViAir 12v tire pump, tire iron, a grease gun and a scissors jack (made for a 6000 # chevy 3500 ). ( and of Course PBBlaster. ) I'll look into borrowing heavier equipment. Glad to know I don't have to pay the marina to put the boat in the travel lift to change the tire.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
I didn't see this mentioned so I will. etrailer sells wheel/tire assemblies. I replaced the assemblies and kept the old ones as spares. I don't trust the old ones for long hauls but to get off the road they are fine.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
For a trip that far from home you should carry a spare wheel and trailer insurance for your boat in case your tow vehicle breaks down. With the tandem trailer you should be able to pull the good wheel onto a 2x6 lifting it high enough to replace the flat wheel with the spare. The last time I went looking for new tires for my trailer I found that it was cheaper quicker to buy new wheels with the tires.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Jack up the trailer from the frame, not the axle. I'd recommend a floor jack. I have had two Harbor Freight jacks - a 2.5 ton and an aluminum one. Both do the job. The big steel one is much more stable and has more height. I consider bottle jacks for emergencies only due to instability.
Why would want to jack up the trailer from the frame instead ? The axle is made to move vertically . The frame is not. Lifting from the axle is the same as the tire going over a bump . Lifting from the frame means stressing a singular point in the square tubing. Lifting from the axle spreads the load to the proper attachment points . Just how the trailer was designed .