How small is too small for ocean sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
I think the smallest boat to sail round the world was under ten feet, i think it was about eight feet long. I know it was home built by a russian. Chay Blyth, attempted the 1965 round the world race, in a 30 foot production bilge keeler, got from the uk to south africa, and gave it up in the indian ocean, went back to south africa, he didnt even know how to sail when he left the uk, of course, he said, he thought the boat overturning, was just part of sailing. John ridgeway reached brazil in a 30 foot production boat, in the same race, he gave up, because the chain plates were pulling through the deck, well their were no chain plates on his boat, just plates under the deck, holding the rig up. Robin Knox johnson won that race, first ever to single hand round the world non stop, in a 32 foot boat. It was a heavy built wooden boat. some us kid sailed round the world in a very small boat called The Dove, a film was made about it, i think he was about 21, and the boat, wasnt more than 26 foot.

Oute a few oysters in the 20-25 foot range have sailed round the world, its not so much the size of the boat, but the component strenghth. It just so happens, bigger boats, tend to have stronger components. Bigger boats also, can sail, when smaller boats, cant, and in a smaller boat, you could find yourself stuck in a storm, and running on the bare poles, for a couple of days.

The thing a lot of people dont realise, is that windspeed near to shore, creates high steep waves, but out at sea, those waves, while still the same height, are less steep, a thirty foot wave, near the shore, would terrify you, it would be very steep, and at risk of breaking, out in the middle of the atlantic, a thirty foot wave can be a gentle up hill, then a gentle downhill, the biggest wave recorded in the atlantic, was around 120 feet, by The Reporter a weather ship stationed off greenland.

But if i wanted to go to the virgin islands from where you are, i would go down the inland waterway, to florida, then sail over from there. Island hop all the way over. Only problem is, as a you citizen, us gov wont let you stop in cuba, so you have to do the longer passage, via the bahamas.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 35 Staten Island, NY
Great discussion, mainly because I've often thought about this question as it would relate to my O-322 and its potential for sailing to Bermuda. The 322 is said to have a stability rating of 1.96, with anything under 2 the minimum for bluewater-worthiness. And I totally agree with the view that's it's more the skipper and crew than the boat.

Pete
s/v EmmieLou (O-322)
Little Silver, NJ

i41937

Jan 23, 2012
O Day 28 Southport
Your boat is satisfactory, if well maintained and provisioned. I have sailed an O'Day 22 to Nassau and beyond, the key is the weather pattern for you proposed trip, the return forecast to FL is the most important factor.

Feb 1, 2006
oday 22 on trailer Asheville NC
O'day 22 Stocking Up 4 Coastal Cruise?

Hi All, I would like some experienced advis(c)e on prepareing my 79 O'day 22 masthead rig for coastal cruiseing and what to stock up on food and water. I noticed Maine Sail in your comment to ridesroadking1 on 01-20-2012 on sailing from MI to VI, mentioned having sailed on an O'day 22 in days gone by.

David S

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Asheville NC

Hi All, I would like some experienced advis(c)e on prepareing my 79 O'day 22 masthead rig for coastal cruiseing and what to stock up on food and water. I noticed Maine Sail in your comment to ridesroadking1 on 01-20-2012 on sailing from MI to VI, mentioned having sailed on an O'day 22 in days gone by.

David S
- - - - - // - - - -

David if you are sailing a 79 O'Day 22 I gather you cannot afford an appropriate boat for coastal sailing.

Just pick a big lake and do not take an O'Day 22 for coastal sailing. Been there that is why I got a O'Day 26 and found out that is not really best in a storm. So, I moved up to a Blue water boat albeit small.

May I recommend just coming down to Lake Hartwell on the South Carolina Georgia line. It would be about 80 miles plus but it would be a safer venture until you can afford a boat to do what you like in safety.

Think safety for your mothers sake. Yes you will get replies that others have done what you want to do in that boat, but because others jump off Whitesides Mountain in a hang glider does not make it safe.

Since I bought a blue water 28 I am selling my O'Day 26, price is neg. Has a trailer. More appropriate for what you are thinking.

Many obituaries do not make head lines.

Drag your boat south for a year or two until you get the shekels to get an appropriate boat...

Ed K

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Ed is right for once. Those that are lost are not around to tell their tale. ( just joking Ed :))

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
PS. Don't buy Ed's boat unless you see it with your own eyes. I'm not sure it exists.

Dec 26, 2009
Oday 22 cleveland
Here's some fun.

http://www.clevelandmemory.org/manry/

http://flash.ulib.csuohio.edu/cmp/manry/video.html

Here's the book he wrote, available I think for free.

http://www.clevelandmemory.org/ebooks/tinkerbelle/contents.html

This sailboat use to be on display at the Western Reserve Historical Society.
For whatever reason, they sold it for just about nothing, Hell.....I wish I knew it was up for sale. For the very cheap - almost scrap value, I would have loved to own her.
She was a little known history maker. I still might try to track her down.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Here's some fun.

http://www.clevelandmemory.org/manry/

http://flash.ulib.csuohio.edu/cmp/manry/video.html

Here's the book he wrote, available I think for free.

http://www.clevelandmemory.org/ebooks/tinkerbelle/contents.html

This sailboat use to be on display at the Western Reserve Historical Society.
For whatever reason, they sold it for just about nothing, Hell.....I wish I knew it was up for sale. For the very cheap - almost scrap value, I would have loved to own her.
She was a little known history maker. I still might try to track her down.
That's a great site Kevin. Thank you for posting it. I have his book in my collection and have read it many times. I thought of mentioning Robert Manry in this thread and neglected to only because he didn't build his boat from scratch, which he probably could have done. Just the fact that he added an enclosed cuddy to this small boat and prepared it for an ocean cruise is an amazing feat by itself. Surely, Robert Manry can be put into the same class with people who did extensive cruises in small boats such as Nathaniel H. Bishop and John MacGregor.

I would have loved to have owned "Tinkerbelle" myself. Micro boats with small cabins have always fascinated me.
Steven Ladd had his boat "Squeak" up for sale about two years ago but I think he was asking too much for it.

Dec 26, 2009
Oday 22 cleveland
Yeah, I was always in awe, of this story as a kid. I remember seeing the boat on display at Cleveland's Crawford Auto Museum. I read somewhere, the boat was sold for about 1k. I would have loved to own it for that price.
On another note, I sure am enjoying our 60 degree weather here... There were a few crazies "in boats" fishing Lake Erie today. Smooth as glass it was. Last year at this time we had about 15 inches of snow on the ground!
Kev.

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
Yeah, I was always in awe, of this story as a kid. I remember seeing the boat on display at Cleveland's Crawford Auto Museum. I read somewhere, the boat was sold for about 1k. I would have loved to own it for that price.
On another note, I sure am enjoying our 60 degree weather here... There were a few crazies "in boats" fishing Lake Erie today. Smooth as glass it was. Last year at this time we had about 15 inches of snow on the ground!
Kev.
I thought the lakes froze in winter. I was in cleveland a few years ago, and took a tour of an old lake cargo ship, and they said the season was may until december. I also flew into Detroit from Holland, and we flew over the lakes, this was february, and the lakes were white. I knew it was the lakes, because you could see houses round the shores, and docks, but the water was white.

Status
Not open for further replies.