How much Deck Paint for H34 ?

Jun 3, 2018
34 Hunter & 26 Classic Hunter 34 / Classic 26 East Hampton NY
hi. im 40 days in on my major over hall. 40 days straight. 13 hour days. I just need to know how much deck paint ya think i need ? Cockpit included. Im past braking point. lol Its chalky up on deck. not trying to go full joe pro like I have been for the past 2 months. Just to brighten her top up ... Cheers .............. will post video and pics.. stopped videoing because how many times can you watch me hand hammer a 30yr old rusted keel ??

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
painting the deck ( including the cockpit, whole top ) is near the top of my to do list. I estimate there is near to 550 sq ft.
Depends on the paint- Which paint are you planning to use? One coat? We have trouble getting two part paint here in Canada these days- I was thinking of Pettitt and using the Pettitt Performance enhancer. The Pettitt website has a quantity calculator- I think it requires a gallon for 600 sq ft. - i guess one coat. I look forward to seeing your videos. I have the same chalkiness.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I think you are talking 350-400 square feet, so whatever paint brand/coverage that will do that …. Just a "guesstimation" based on dimensions.

Jun 3, 2018
If your gelcoat is just chalky, and not worn through. Why not just do a good buff and wax instead of a repaint?
Shes in need, very dry , chalky . Looks past just a buff . Thanks for these video links !!!! Will watch.
Here are a couple of threads on this.

Topside Paint or Wet Sand & Buff?

Restoring faded colored gelcoat; best fast option

Tips For A Great Buff & Wax

Below is a picture of my 35 year old gelcoat after a wet sand and a good polishing.
View attachment 153289
View attachment 153288

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Shes in need, very dry , chalky . Looks past just a buff . Thanks for these video links !!!!
That is why I started with wet sanding before buffing. As long as the gelcoat is not worn through you should be able to bring her back.

Jun 3, 2018
That is why I started with wet sanding before buffing. As long as the gelcoat is not worn through you should be able to bring her back.
How long did it take you ?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
How long did it take you ?
I only did my deck, and am waiting until our next haul-out to do the hull. I spent a couple of evenings going over the boat filling any holes in the gelcoat where deck items had been removed (mounting holes for our missing teak eyebrows, and old dodger canvas snaps and brackets) MarineTex white matched pretty well.
Marinetex.jpg
Then once the Marinetex was cured, my son and I spent one Saturday removing any rust or other stains from the gelcoat, and Wet sanding with 1000 and then 2000. When we were done with the sanding, we rinsed the deck thoroughly, washing away all of the white gelcoat residue, and let her dry off overnight.

Then on Sunday we did the multi stage buffing.

ps. I would suggest a short stool, and some knee-pads or a foam mat, or your back and knees are going to be hurting by the time your done.

Jun 3, 2018
I only did my deck, and am waiting until our next haul-out to do the hull. I spent a couple of evenings going over the boat filling any holes in the gelcoat where deck items had been removed (mounting holes for our missing teak eyebrows, and old dodger canvas snaps and brackets) MarineTex white matched pretty well.
View attachment 153306
Then once the Marinetex was cured, my son and I spent one Saturday removing any rust or other stains from the gelcoat, and Wet sanding with 1000 and then 2000. When we were done with the sanding, we rinsed the deck thoroughly, washing away all of the white gelcoat residue, and let her dry off overnight.

Then on Sunday we did the multi stage buffing.

ps. I would suggest a short stool, and some knee-pads or a foam mat, or your back and knees are going to be hurting by the time your done.
Thanks for the encouragement and tips. I power washed the top today. Holy cow ! Dont park your truck or car anywhere near the boat. Another 2 hours power washing my truck. lol . Im just going to throw a single coat of wax on depending if it chalks up bad. Its White ! Power washer was the real deal mega powered. She's looking good. Thanks again everyone with all the great tips and info.

AloHA