How much bottom paint on my older 27'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2009
Newport MKIi 30' Channel Is. CA
Good Morning, I am sure one of you can tell me if one gallon on Zspar B90 will do the job on my 27', At $244 a gal I'd like to know if I can save the cost of anotheer Gal. Also If you have a recommendation for another paint to use in the So Cal area, Id like to hear it

Thanks Buzz "The Vital Spark"

Attachments

Jul 28, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake George NY
In my experience one gallon will cover just shy of two full coats, this is on a 1987 Catalina 27 fin keel, assuming the keel is the same the bottom area is the same for all model years.

edit - just noticed your picture, that is the fin keel (same as mine), One gallon should be just fine.

-Eric

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
IMHO.... you don't need that high falutin' bottom paint in Calif.'s cooler, lower fouling waters. not for $250+ per gal anyway.
My last bottom paint job, three years ago, I purchased Interlux bottom kote from the yard chandlery at about $150 per gal.... a little more than you'd pay on line.... but.... you can return what you don't use for credit against your yard bill. A gallon was plenty for 2 coats and an extra layer on the leading edge of the keel and rudder.

Most everyone in this area uses hardshell paint, cause we leave the boats in the water year round.....Having a reliable diver wipe the bottom clean once a month (not scrape, please) will extend the life of the paint significantly. That means less haul outs and no need for fansy smansy paint.

Jon_E

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina 27 Marina del Rey
IMHO.... you don't need that high falutin' bottom paint in Calif.'s cooler, lower fouling waters.
Joe, how long do you go between haul out's for bottom paint? I'm in MdR and have been going about three to four years between haul outs. Just curious. I clean (wipe) my hull myself about every 2nd or 3rd month depending on time of year... no diver.

As I understand it, the nice part about an ablative bottom paint is that if you use the boat often (once or twice a week) the friction of the water over the hull is enough to keep the hull clean; no diver needed to wipe the bottom. I don't use it though, so I can't say for certain.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
As I understand it, the nice part about an ablative bottom paint is that if you use the boat often (once or twice a week) the friction of the water over the hull is enough to keep the hull clean; no diver needed to wipe the bottom. I don't use it though, so I can't say for certain.
There is no anti fouling paint legal for use in California that does not require in-water cleaning when used in a saltwater environment, be it hard, ablative or otherwise. Further, most sailboats cannot achieve enough speed to clean an ablative paint, regardless of how frequently the boat is used. That's just the reality of the situation.

That being said, one sailor's acceptably clean bottom is another sailor's intolerably foul hull.

Status
Not open for further replies.