How long should a Mushroom mooring anchor last?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hi Guys,

I'm also in Mt. Sinai. Like NYSAIL I also use OldMans. I've had the same mooring anchor since 2006. I just received a bill for new chain and pendants. That happens every few years but I've never had to replace the anchor.

FYI to anyone who is interested, the Town of Brookhaven sells and manages the mooring permits. The town regulations require that the moorings be pulled each year. They also list the requirements for a mooring (based on the size of the boat) and who can drop and haul the moorings.

Mickstr - are you an MSSA member? If not, you should join! Let me know if you want more information. We do lots of cruises, races, sunset sails, and other fun sailing things.

Barry
And we're waiting patiently for the mooring applications to be put on-line.....

Greg

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Hi Guys,

I'm also in Mt. Sinai. Like NYSAIL I also use OldMans. I've had the same mooring anchor since 2006. I just received a bill for new chain and pendants. That happens every few years but I've never had to replace the anchor.

FYI to anyone who is interested, the Town of Brookhaven sells and manages the mooring permits. The town regulations require that the moorings be pulled each year. They also list the requirements for a mooring (based on the size of the boat) and who can drop and haul the moorings.

Mickstr - are you an MSSA member? If not, you should join! Let me know if you want more information. We do lots of cruises, races, sunset sails, and other fun sailing things.

Barry
Thanks Barry! Thought about joining last year but never pulled the trigger. Friends with Carl John who kept bugging me!

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Update from the OP... I went to Ralph's today and checked out the anchor. It could use a bit of work, but certainly doesn't need to be replaced. I found a local welder who will fix it up for $125. Funny the guy in the marina told me that in the 5 years he's been there, only 2 folks took the anchor for a repair! Everyone else bought a new one. Hmmm, $125 repair, $600 replace. Sorry, no contest for me!