How long is your boat commute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lugeman

looking at my bouy as i post

That's how close I've got here in Muskegon. When I have the boat hauled out for the winter it doubles my commute to the boat up to 2 blocks. The season may be shorter than down south but Lake Michigan is 15 minutes out the channel or just hoist the sails and scoot down Muskegon Lake( bout 4 miles before a tack). Life is good!!!! Pray for Wind, Lugeman

tweitz

Oct 30, 2005
Beneteau 323 East Hampton, New York
short commute

We are pretty lucky, the boat is about 150 feet from the house. Of course the house is a second home 120 miles from the other house.

Aug 15, 2006
Beneteau 373 Toronto
Toronto Islands

My boat is at a club on one of the islands in Toronto's inner harbour. Fifteen minutes from home to the tender, 12 minutes on the tender and I'm there. There are two ways out of the harbour to the lake proper, takes about twenty minutes the short way, then you can sail 150 miles east, 25 south or 25 west without much of anything in the way. Of course, you can only do that from May to October. I went to visit the boat on Saturday and almost died of frostbite. Wind and snow coming off the lake at 20 knots, wind chill of -10C, 14F. Not quite spring yet.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
One of my reasons for relocating

I live 4 miles from where I slip my boat and 3 miles from its home on the hard. To both locations most of the trip is at 55. To the hard has no stops, the slip has one short light. I often encounter literally no traffic on the way. It takes me 5 minutes - once it took me 7 minutes when I got stuck behind a sight seer. Out of the harbor mouth I have a minimum 40 miles before I would be forced to tack. I find that to be plenty of room for day sailing. The big problem here is the weather. That wide open lake is great, but it can get pretty damn rough. Having only limited experience on this body of water, i don't yet know all its characteristics, but I can see that L Ontario should be a good cruising lake with so many destinations under 60 miles.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
85 Miles on I 95

From Westport, CT to Mystic is about 85 miles 1 1/2 to 3 hours depending on I 95 traffic. You can always depend on I 95 traffic. We pretty much live on the boat for the weekend so it's not to bad, besides we like the sailing in the Mystic area

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
10 Min. drive

The boat from my house as the crow flies is 2.75 miles,driving in the car its 5 miles and after I leave the dock to get out of the marina past the first buoy to get the sails up is 1/2 mile then nine times out of ten I have three directions to sail in for a while before a tack. I get home from work and shoot right down to the boat and go for a quick sail all the time cause its so easy to get out and back in.

RobG

Jun 2, 2004
Ericson 28 Noank, Ct
45 min drive

37 miles all highway (usually light traffic) except the last three scenic miles. From our mooring at the end of the Mystic River in Noank we have beautiful views and can sail off of it and be in the protected waters of Fisher's Island Sound or just a few NM into Long Island Sound to the west or Block Island sound to the east. On snotty days we can head north up the river for three NM of some interesting sights. I love this area.

Apr 24, 2006
Hunter 33_77-83 Mandeville LA
what else to do on a Friday night

We live in North Mississippi. It is 250 miles to Mandeville LA. Takes about 4 hours with stops for supper and provisioning. As Nice N Easy will tell you, Lake Ponchartrain is worth it. We try to go at least every other week. More during summer. We have been doing it for almost two years. We really love our 1981 H33. Love the bayou also.

Status
Not open for further replies.