How long is your boat commute?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul H

Nov 2, 2005
- - Ohio
Like Tsehum Pete, I live in Alberta (Red Deer),

and my boat is moored in Vancouver. I will fly occasionally, but this cost usually prevents us from other goodies for sailing. The drive takes about 9 hours, but with good conversation (about the boat, and what we're going to do) makes it seem not so long. We sail close to 50-60 days per year, sometimes more. Once off the jetty, the world is our oyster...too many places to list that are available to us. A place where we frequent is Poets Cove...aptly named, as it would take a poet to adequately describe the place. Cheers...

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Not bad

1) 15 miles from our home. About 4 blocks from work to the launch. 2) About 30 minutes. But I can walk to my boat from work and get a launch that takes me to it any time I want. I have been known to have lunch on my boat. 3) Never more than 40 minutes. Sometimes I have to deal with a drawbridge. 4) Same as Maine Sail; Some of the best cruising grounds in the world. With the way the wind funnels around some of the islands here in Casco Bay, sometimes you do not need to tack at all. Tim R.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Mel we had a barrack like that in the Philippines

We said we were fifteen steps from the beach. fourteen normal steps and one very long one off the cliff. ;D

P

Paul

Milwaukee

It's 8 mi or 15 min from home to boat; 2 mi or 5 min from work to boat. Lake Michigan is right outside the breakwall. So is Milwaukee harbor, good sailing on days when the Lake itself is too angry. Of course in winter, the commute for sailing is much, much longer.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Too long...

but not as long as some of you. 52 miles with traffic, about 1 hour. That is until my slip close to home opens at the end of this year, or beginning of '08. Then it will be 15 minuets. San Diego South Bay is just 5 minutes out of my marina. It takes about 1.5 hours to get to the Coronado Bridge and into North San Diego Bay. Then another two hours to the ocean. Once I get the boat up in Oceanside, the ocean is about 5~10 minutes from the marina depending on how fast I want to get there. From Oceanside, 4 hours to Dana Point to the north, about 6 hours to Mission Bay to the south, and about 10~14 hours to Catalina depending on the wind direction.

M

Merrythought

Not Too Far

I live 7 miles and 15 minutes from the boat. The marina is on the Chesapeake Bay across from Annapolis. I pass the marina going to and from work or while running errands making it all too easy to find a reason to stop by the boat when I should be doing other things.

F

Fred

That's why I got the H26

It's on the trailer outside the kitchen window. Commute time 15 seconds. When the boat is on the buoy, it's 15 minutes drive and 5 minutes row, but hard to work on the boat with no power or water. Nice to sit in the cockpit and watch the otters, though. With a ten year old who home schools, house, work at home job, and other distractions, it's hard to get a couple of hours to work on the boat. It's easy to get a half hour here and there, so if the boat is close by, I spend more time on it. Also, the H26 is almost as low maintenance as my glass canoe.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
BrianD, How long to Hawaii, Wake Is. Guam,

Cabo San Lucas? ;) ;)

Jun 14, 2004
Ericson 29 Biddeford, ME
Not bad but too far

Yeah, Great Question 1) Boat is a little over 20 miles from the house. 2) About 40 minutes, beautiful drive though. 3) About an hour and 15. 4) I am cruising right from my mooring, most of the time sailing right on or off. Depending on which direction I go and the wind I usually have to tack within a mile or so. Mooring is right in the heart of Casco Bay Maine, a treasure trove of beautiful islands and scenery.

T

Terry Cox, Belle-Vie, P42

Takes about 45 minutes to drive the light...

traffic 35 mile trip. The marina is on the Swinomish Channel with a north or south exit. Too narrow to sail. South entrance about four miles to sailing waters and north exit about an hour. Either exit opens up into San Juan Island cruising grounds. Terry

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Land locked

Although Lake Ontario is 1 hour away, Lake Huron 1 3/4 and Georgian Bay 1 3/4 hrs., we chose to go the Georgian Bay and the 30,000 Islands for the spectacular scenary, multitude of anchorage locations and amazing sunsets. We've been in this area for 20 years on land and 20' power boat, but this is year 1 on our own boat. The other great thing is this is all fresh clean water and warm enough for swimming July and August. 1) 150 kms. or 100 miles 2) just under 2 hours, but to be reduced once I find all the country back roads to avoid towns etc. 4) it's around 10 nm to motor and another 4nm to open clear water for sailing and then 6-8 hours across the Bay? Below is the link to our Marina on Google Maps. If you click the Satelite button and scroll way out you'll see the area we will be in. Scott H33 Sunset Chaser

S

sailsman10

backyard

My Catalina 34 is behind the house about 20 steps to the dock. It don't get a lot better than this.(unless a hurrucane is blowing this way) Terry

S

Scott

Our boat is close to home ...

We can drive to our county park marina which is less than five minutes from home. Our house overlooks the lake we sail on and the marina is probably less than a mile away. That's on the plus side! Unfortunately, I work 50 miles from home (an hour usually, but often worse) so evening sails after work are not normal, unless we plan on getting home early. Lake Hopatcong is generally narrow and only a few miles long, so we are tacking within five minutes of raising the sails. Sometimes, if I don't hurry, I raise the main, hank on the genny and then run out of room and have to tack before hoisting her (when I'm the both the bow man and the pit crew). Upwind, we are generally tacking at intervals of no more than five minutes! Downwind, we might get a 30-minute run averaging 5 knots if the wind can push us from the starboard quarter (heading south) or the the port quarter (heading north) for the length of the lake. I am soooo ready for having more room, but the convenience of being on the lake so close to home is a pretty strong influence. On the other hand we do have the ski boat to keep us happy close to home when we move the sailboat to another location. Within a two hour drive (light traffic), we could have options from Barnegat Bay in New Jersey, Raritan Bay and New York Harbor, Long Island Sound out as far as Milford, and the Hudson River up to Haverstraw (this might be our closest option). I could be in Keyport 20 minutes after leaving my office but the Jersey Shore is out of the question for my wife ... she hates the traffic. Long Island Sound may be the most attractive location but I am also concerned about the traffic. Haverstraw, on the Hudson may be our best option and we are thinking about this location the most, since it may be the easer drive for us to make from home.

Jun 16, 2005
- - long beach, CA
how far/long

14 miles/25 minutes from house to boat - ten minutes from slip to sailing in the Outer Harbor of Long Beach, CA.

D

Dennis

350 Short Miles

We live NE of Atlanta and drive 350 miles to Niceville, FL. Been doing it for 5 yrs and not tired of the drive. We have wonderful sailing and wonderful friends at the marina. We try to make the drive every 2 weeks if the weather is going to be good for a 2 or 3 day weekend. + a week vacation around the 4th and any other chance we get we go.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
Not bad

My boat is about 35 miles from my home. It takes me (no traffic) about 45 minutes to get to the dock. The boat is much closer to my office; it takes me about 15 minutes to the boat from work, although it has taken 25 minutes during rush hour. Once I am aboard, it doesn't take long to get sailing. It's about a five minute motor to where the river opens up to Branford Harbor. The harbor is protected from Long Island Sound by a couple of islets, but you can sail in the harbor. If you want to motor out to the Sound (where the wind is better), its another 5 minutes. As much as I love sailing, I don't know if I would have my own boat if I had a long commute.

L

Lowell Irwin

300 miles & 6 hours

We drive 6 hours one way from Ohio to Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. The drive is certainly worth it! The lake is huge, deep and beautiful. Water quality is great. The facilities where the boat is docked are perfect in every way. Well maintained with all the amenities you could wish for at a marina. But the best part is the friends we have made. Maybe it's the Southern hospitality and graciousness that still influences people in the area. Whatever it is, boating in the South with fine friends, great food and wonderful weather is where we will sail for many, many years to come!

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Behind the house

Looks like sailsman and myself are the two most fortunate in this regard. My boat is tied up to the dock, 15 or 20 paces from the rear deck. I sure feel for you commuters, and feel very fortunate to have this setup. Of course, when a hurricane is on the way, ?????????????

K

KATIE

Boat time

3 hours, That's to get to the boat, another hour for stops! But Life is good when I get there!!! Katie 28.5 Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.