How long can I run 15HP outboard continuously?

Jun 11, 2020
Hunter 29.5 Northport
We have a 1998 Johnson/Evinrude 15HP (J15RLECR) that is in good shape on our Catalina 25. We usually run it for about 20-30min at a time until we can set sail. However, we would like to cruise through NYC and plan on needing to be on the motor for awhile (at least through East River, probably more).

I am wondering how long we will be able to run the motor continuously. Any thoughts?

-Kyle

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
We have a 1998 Johnson/Evinrude 15HP (J15RLECR) that is in good shape on our Catalina 25. We usually run it for about 20-30min at a time until we can set sail. However, we would like to cruise through NYC and plan on needing to be on the motor for awhile (at least through East River, probably more).

I am wondering how long we will be able to run the motor continuously. Any thoughts?

-Kyle
All snarky comments asside...(although I enjoy snarky) I assume you are asking for advice on ways to determin how long you can run your motor on a tank of gas.

I would empty out your gas can, then put a quarter gallon or less in and then run it in gear at 2/3 throttle until it runs out of gas. Time it and see what you can do on 1/4 gallon. Then fill up your tank and see how many quarter gallons you hold and figure if you run at half throttle instead of 2/3 you have at least that much time per tank (or gallon or what ever you like best).

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
All of the above. I’d get an extra tank, unless you don’t have a long term use for it. Do you have a friend or slip neighbor who would lend you a spare tank? You would need to have the right fuel hose connector, but if it’s an aftermarket tank you can buy a proper tank connector for a lot less than the whole setup.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Going up the East River you need to time your transit to go with the tide/current. This cuts how long it takes a lot. On our last transit we passed Hunt's Point doing 13 knots over the bottom according to the GPS, though we were only doing something like 7 through the water.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
As someone who might have given a "snarky" reply, let me clarify. I understood the question to be about running the motor for long periods of time and if it would damage the motor. So, answers along the line of "so long as you are feeding it gas, it will run" are in line with the question.

On the other hand, if the question is about how many hours can the motor run on X gallons of gas, the answer I gave was kind of snarky and off base.

Motors built for marine use are generally designed to run long and run hard.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If it were me and was I simply wondering about what kind of reliability and performance to expect with a 20 year old motor that's been adequately maintained, I'd take pay a professional mechanic for a check up and diagnostic report. If I had no idea the level of maintenance from previous owners.... I absolutely would have a professional look at it.... And once you decide to go... then you'll want to carry enough tools, spare parts and repair manual... just because you never know. Spares like fuel filter, thermostat, plug, oil change gear, etc. will give you some confidence.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Reading your original post it seems to me you are asking if that motor is designed to run for long time periods, like all day or so.

I've run outboards for entire days without a problem. I've done this for several days in a row. If yours is in good shape it should be fine.

It's your motor, so you should have some idea of how well it runs, does it start reliably? Has it been giving you problems? You need to answer those questions. If the motor is and has been reliable, go for it. Bring enough fuel, perhaps a spare impellor and know how to change it.

Enjoy the trip!

dj

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
As long as you got gas. Strap a 5 gallon can to one of the stanchions and refuel when needed. We run an old 2 stroke 9.8 Nissan So we also have to mix in the oil when refueling our 3 1/2 gallon main tank. It burns approximately 1GPH. On a trip in the Long Island Sound one morning we started the engine and the starter cord broke, but since the engine was running we figured we would fix it at our destination. We had to take care that we refuel early so the engine would not die so we motor sailed and motored for about seven hours and before we left the boat at a mooring in Northport we had replaced the starter cord.

Jun 11, 2020
Hunter 29.5 Northport
Thanks so much for the great replies! All were spot on. The motor starts reliably every time so we are pretty confident in it. That said, some great thoughts on getting a checkup and having spare parts. We will definitely have spare tanks ready to go.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Our pair of outboards that power our dive boat ,Mercuries have a warning not to run at full throttle for more than 8 hours of continous use . I would suggest learning how to replace your waterpump . Always carry a spare

Jul 6, 2017
Hunter H 41DS Hampton, VA
Use the Navionics app to find out exactly when slack tide is at Hell Gate and other locations and ride the current and plan your trip accordingly.

It wont take but a few hours to run up the East River from Wall Street into the LI Sound. its less than 20 miles.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
I've worked on the East River in small motor boats and motored into Hunters Point at LWS in my H23.5 with a 9.9 hp Honda. If you are late to enter you may not come out! The currents are 7+ knots and they don't call it Hellgate for nothing. I've seen eddy's that would spin a 30 foot boat like a dinghy. Just running with the tide is not necessarily a safe passage. Slack tide in and don't dwaddle.

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
Definitely get it looked over by a mechanic, I lived in NYC for 20 years and have taken many boats up down and around the Hudson/East River and LIS. East River is not a place you want to lose power. Make sure to use the tide to your advantage or you may be traveling at -2kts at full throttle!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
As long as they have clean gas and cooling water, forever. Not diesel forever, mind you, but a long time.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Before you fill the boat with spare parts, get Tow Insurance coverage. A sailboat is an almost perfect Hybrid, no engine you sail, no wind call Tow BoatUS.