How hard is it to replace a prop annode while the boat is in the water?

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Many variables affect the life expectancy of bottom paint. Listen carefully "THE LIFE EXPECTANCY OF A BOTTOM PAINT DEPENDS ON LOCATION".
Clearly you do not understand how anti fouling paint works.

The biocide in anti fouling paint leaches out at a proscribed rate that is determined at the factory. Nothing you do (short of taking the boat out of the water) can change that. That is the case regardless of whether you are in freshwater, saltwater or something in between. And the paints are designed to last 2-4 years maximum. If you are only getting light slime at 7 years with zero in-water cleaning that means your fouling rates are so low that you could probably get away using house paint. Or no paint. But at 7 years your anti fouling paint does not have any useful biocide left and hasn’t for several years at least, regardless of what it looks like when you haul the boat.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Clearly you do not understand how anti fouling paint works.
My understanding is that ablative anti-fouling paints continuously exposes a new, biocide rich surface as the surface paint slowly sloughs off the hull. New surface = new anti-fouling agents. You could say that the thicker the application of ablative paint, the longer the life expectancy. That's only my understanding which does not make it a fact.

Your explanation of how a bottom paint slowly releases its biocide over a period of time and then becomes inert seems to be a description of a hard bottom paint. Again, my understanding and not a fact.

If you are only getting light slime at 7 years with zero in-water cleaning that means your fouling rates are so low that you could probably get away using house paint.
I know the waters around here are bloody cold in the summer and even colder in the winter. I have no knowledge of fouling in other areas but you may be right about our area being low fouling. HOWEVER, there are several boats in our marina which are heavily attached to their docks by marine growth indicating there is some fouling going on here.

Feb 26, 2011
Your explanation of how a bottom paint slowly releases its biocide over a period of time and then becomes inert seems to be a description of a hard bottom paint.
Ablatives do this as well. If they did not, these paints would be ineffective while the boat is not actively moving and this is obviously not the case.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Ablatives do this as well. If they did not, these paints would be ineffective while the boat is not actively moving and this is obviously not the case.
Got to wonder if that surface coat of bottom paint and all the attached growth is ready to slough off after several months of sitting at the dock and not moving. Take the boat out for a sail and there goes the growth along with that thin layer of spent bottom paint.

We put a fair number of miles on the hull each summer which also assists in cleaning.

Feb 26, 2011
Got to wonder if that surface coat of bottom paint and all the attached growth is ready to slough off after several months of sitting at the dock and not moving. Take the boat out for a sail and there goes the growth along with that thin layer of spent bottom paint.
Of course frequent use helps keep fouling to a minimum regardless of paint type. But in places where fouling is an actual concern, regular in-water cleaning is a necessary part of boat maintenance. Sailboats typically do not move at speeds high enough to remove much fouling growth, regardless of what their hulls are painted with.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
In a word, "NO". Shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I finally got around to diving under my boat. Looks like the anode is in good enough shape to last me through the season.
Yep, if you’ve made it this far into the season with that much left you’ll make it to the winter with no problem.