How does a roller furler work?

Apr 23, 2017
O'Day Day Sailer 3 Lake Nockamixon, Pa.
I recently purchased a new to me boat and the roller furler has a single line. I thought they had to be spring loaded, but it appears not.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
No, not spring loaded. You use the sheets to unfurl, and the furling line to furl. Be sure to furl it so that the sheets wrap around the sail about 3 times, and cleat the furling line, to prevent it from unfurling itself in a storm.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Be sure to furl it so that the sheets wrap around the sail about 3 times, and cleat the furling line, to prevent it from unfurling itself in a storm.
Very important! Another club member lost his head sail to the wind a few weeks ago. Very expensive mistake!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
When you unfurl the head sail the single line is wound around the furling drum, furling unwinds the line from the drum and winds the sail around the foil.

Apr 23, 2017
O'Day Day Sailer 3 Lake Nockamixon, Pa.
I had thought they were spring loaded and wondered about this on the boat I've bought.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Very important to ensure that the sail will not unfurl when not intended. I have heard there are some boat yards that will not permit boats on stands unless the roller furled jibs are taken down. You should also see if there is a place to insert a pin in the drum that would prevent unfurling. Many people advocate additional fastening.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
You should also see if there is a place to insert a pin in the drum that would prevent unfurling.
I use a longish flat blade screwdriver to keep, the drum from moving when we have named storms come in. I also tie a few sail ties around the furled jib. If it’s going to blow much over 50kts everything comes down.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
One thing you will want to check is that when the jib is furled tight that there are still a few turns of furling line left showing on the drum. If not, in a high wind she may furl tighter and you will have no line left with the sail still not 100% furled. An easy fix, if not, but an unimportant one.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
One thing you will want to check is that when the jib is furled tight that there are still a few turns of furling line left showing on the drum. If not, in a high wind she may furl tighter and you will have no line left with the sail still not 100% furled. An easy fix, if not, but an unimportant one.
I had to readjust my CDI a few times to get that right. My continuous Seafurl 810 doesn't matter.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I have a somewhat related question. I have a hank-on head sail but I'm considering getting a roller furling head sail. One thing that's holding me back is that I use the fore-stay and a gin pole to raise my mast (it's a trailerable boat). I've done the calculations on the fore stay and it can easily manage the load, but I'm unsure if a roller furler would be as strong. Does the stay go all the way through the furling mechanism, or does the mechanism itself have to carry the tension load? I'm a bit worried about overloading the furling mechanism if I use it to raise the mast.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
I have a Profurl NC32 on my boat and the headstay goes all the way through, including the turnbuckle. Other brands do too but you'll need to check. Perhaps someone who has the same boat as you do will chime in and tell you what they have and how it works for them. Or check in your area. Good luck

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Thanks, @Claude L.-Auger . It makes sense to me that the head stay would go through the furler to some kind of fitting that attaches to the deck. But I've never had the opportunity to examine one up close.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Tedd
As Claude has shared, there are different types of furler designs. You will need to explore them to find one that fits your specific boat design. Note that furlers add weight to the forestay. Being that you trailer the rig with the mast down you could have add considerable weight that you will need to manage when setting the mast and rigging.

If on the other hand you set up your boat and leave it in the water rigged and ready to go form a dock, then the hassle of handling a furler and all the added parts to your forestay might be tolerable.