• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

How does a roller furler work?

Apr 23, 2017
O'Day Day Sailer 3 Lake Nockamixon, Pa.
I recently purchased a new to me boat and the roller furler has a single line. I thought they had to be spring loaded, but it appears not.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 LE Havre de Grace
No, not spring loaded. You use the sheets to unfurl, and the furling line to furl. Be sure to furl it so that the sheets wrap around the sail about 3 times, and cleat the furling line, to prevent it from unfurling itself in a storm.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Be sure to furl it so that the sheets wrap around the sail about 3 times, and cleat the furling line, to prevent it from unfurling itself in a storm.
Very important! Another club member lost his head sail to the wind a few weeks ago. Very expensive mistake!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
When you unfurl the head sail the single line is wound around the furling drum, furling unwinds the line from the drum and winds the sail around the foil.

Apr 23, 2017
O'Day Day Sailer 3 Lake Nockamixon, Pa.
I had thought they were spring loaded and wondered about this on the boat I've bought.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Very important to ensure that the sail will not unfurl when not intended. I have heard there are some boat yards that will not permit boats on stands unless the roller furled jibs are taken down. You should also see if there is a place to insert a pin in the drum that would prevent unfurling. Many people advocate additional fastening.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 Shoreacres, TX
You should also see if there is a place to insert a pin in the drum that would prevent unfurling.
I use a longish flat blade screwdriver to keep, the drum from moving when we have named storms come in. I also tie a few sail ties around the furled jib. If it’s going to blow much over 50kts everything comes down.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
One thing you will want to check is that when the jib is furled tight that there are still a few turns of furling line left showing on the drum. If not, in a high wind she may furl tighter and you will have no line left with the sail still not 100% furled. An easy fix, if not, but an unimportant one.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
One thing you will want to check is that when the jib is furled tight that there are still a few turns of furling line left showing on the drum. If not, in a high wind she may furl tighter and you will have no line left with the sail still not 100% furled. An easy fix, if not, but an unimportant one.
I had to readjust my CDI a few times to get that right. My continuous Seafurl 810 doesn't matter.