How do you rig a 130 Genoea on an O’Day Mariner

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Fond memories there as the sailors, marinas, motel etc folk were very friendly. I enjoyed going there. First time I was delivering a boat and forgot dealer numbers when a game warden approached and apologized for the goof. He let that slide by as he was thoughtful, understanding and kind. I never forgot that.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
The folks at the Marina are just OK, I reckon. Sure, they're all friendly and helpful whenever I'm there, but not even once has anybody cleaned my boat while I was gone, even though the most casual observer can easily tell that she badly needs it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Often when I saw a boat in distress ready to cause or be damaged or in fear of sinking, I boarded to prevent that and then reported that to the marina. Last year I saw a hunter 23.5 with the boom banging in the wind and one halyard ready to go to the top of the mast. I boarded and secured everything reporting what I did to prevent further damage. I got a call from the owner screaming for being on board. It was a different story when I mentioned who I was. Offered to help on his boat but never took me up on it and the boat went else where.
However, a marina called me as one sailboat was about to sink. I inspected and later found the owner allowed ducks to build nests over the two cockpit drains with duck pooh floating in the cockpit that had spilled over into the cabin. Broke the lock with my big key or bolt cutter and drained the boat out proceeding to clear out duck pooh as well. Then after drying, went as far to clean again the inside leaving the laundry which I washed and dried neatly folded up leaving in the boat. Left the boat open for a couple of days to at least air out duck pooh smell. Owner came along and thought some one had broken in his boat until the marina advised otherwise. Owner came in following weekend to thank me and wanted to purchase a 28 footer. During that conversation, a call came in from TN as an owner had drilled a one inch hole into the hull and thru. Water coming in with owner's hand over hole being frantic. Asked buyer to wait while I took the call as this was an emergency. Temp stopped leak with a cork from owner's workshop I recalled on this 30 footer. No travel lift nor crane on that lake. I told prospective buyer I had an emergency with a 5 hour trip in front of me and had to go as this was an emergency. I apologized but buyer who lived in WVA went home mad. Thought sale was lost but upon return, found two cases of beer that I liked with a note saying I was now his dealer if I am willing to take the chance of loosing a sale when it came to emergency. That is who I am. The buyer did buy the 28 the following weekend.
One time on Kerr lake when flooded seeing a Hunter 26 being loaded with difficulty as the driveway was unleveled, made a suggestion and the boat loaded up properly to the surprise of the owner and prospective buyer . Then the mast lowering with much difficulty when I told them how to lower properly. The buyer was from out of state. when asked who I was, he knew me. Spent a couple of hours with him on prepping a the boat going to NY I think. Later a $100 check came in which I returned voided and only asked in return to help out fellow sailors. In other words, help fellow sailors in distress but that does not happen as much anymore. I am still of the older generation who believes in helping.