How are lines run to cockpit for 150% genoa from roller furler?

Jun 2, 2004
Macgregor 26X Lynn, MA
I've had a hank-on jib on my 1996 MacGregor 26x since I bought her new. Now, approaching 70, I'm looking into purchasing a CDI roller furler with 150% genoa sold by Blue Water Yachts (roller furler currently not available to order due to out of production). BWY recommends and only sells the 150% genoa which would appear lines need to go outside the sidestays.

I haven't been able to find a sailing picture yet that shows that configuration (although could be in picture 2 below). I saw YouTube videos but one stated they had a 115% genoa which is probably what is in picture #1 below. The sail and lines would be inside the sidestays which is how the jib works now. I'm guessing the deck hardware needed per BWY is in the picture #1 that I boxed in red below. I'm not sure if I have the expertise / ability to hook them up to the boat. Any recommendations on hardware installation and how the lines run to the cockpit with 150% genoa?

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Does the 26x have winches on the cockpit coming?

if not, I don’t know how you could run the sheets outside of the shrouds and then up to a cabin top winch.

I found this photo and I don’t see primary winches on the coming.

IMG_2808.png

Greg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I used this fairlead to run the lines outside the stanchions
1701525426017.png

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Sailboatdata.com shows the 26X as a fractional rig which normally wouldn't suit a 150%. If you want a 150% you would probably have to add a turning block for the sheet somewhere on the gunnel and work out a lead to the cabin top winch or add cockpit winches. The lead to the winch would have to be fair and at the correct angle to prevent overrides. In other words it's kinda a long way to go to set up the boat in a way that it may not have been designed for.
You've had the boat and presumably enjoyed it. Why would you change it? That 115%, or whatever it is, in the picture sheets in very tight. The 150 will not. You may lose pointing ability. And the 150 may overpower the hull causing you to use too much rudder, make you uncomfortable, may require the use of winches to trim it and generally make it less fun to sail. A 150 is generally for light air or racing. The sail was conceived for masthead boats with fin keels and crew to put on the rail. It helped that the IOR rule didn't penalize for the extra sail area.
In the pic with the red box drawn I believe those cam cleats are for the halyards. The sheet appears to go through a block on a track (I kinda lose track of it in the pic) and then back to a cleat by the companionway. Normally a sheet would have a fair lead to a winch and then to a cleat but maybe a winch isn't needed on this boat.
Perhaps BWY could guide you in the rigging since they don't sell anything but 150%'s. Are they an exclusively McGregor dealer?
Or you could go to a sailmaker and have a 110 made for a furler and install a furler. I'm certain they could hook you up with a rigger.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Lots of good advice already. First, I would say that a roller curler for your foresail is a great idea. I would get one with a 110 sail if it were my boat

On a fractional rig like yours, the mainsail is the dominant sail. I you want more power at low wind speeds, I would investigate a mainsail with more area aloft - a "squarehead" with battens - with a sailmaker.

Another option for sailing off the wind in low winds is an asymmetric spinnaker. We find it easy to roll up our 110 genny, and deploy our asymmetric while under way. And it easily doubles our speed in light winds (often from 2 knots to 4 knots). Rigging is simple, you just need a block on each side of your stern for the sheet,, and an arrangement for the tackline at your bow. Of course it doesn't let you point close to the wind, but the 150 will only work well sailing close to the wind, while an asymmetric is good from about 65 degrees off the wind down to running wing on wing with the main.

• Helpful
Jun 2, 2004
Macgregor 26X Lynn, MA
Appreciate the responses and suggestions. Yes, Blue Water Yachts specializes in MacGregor parts (boat no longer in production) and my winch is as in picture #1. Some of the concerns with the 150% genoa on this boat are same as mentioned. I will inquire next with BWY on rigging of lines from 150% genoa. Fortunately, I'm still agile enough to go to the bow to secure the standard jib after lowering.