hot water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

patrick e. boole

i have a 1987 catalina 30. the water line that comes from the water pump to the hot water heater has a inline, i am presuming check valve that is leaking. someone sugested a back flow preventer. is there a difference between the two. would anyone know where i can purchase a backflow preventer. west marine didn't have anything but a check valve.

R

Roger Noble

one and the same

Patrick: A "backflow preventer" and a "check valve" are one & the same. Be sure to check the inner diameter of your hose when measuring. Roger Noble C-30 "Amazing Grace" Lake Travis, Austin, Texas

F

Frank

Backflow preventer

If you are wanting a device that stops (minimizes) backwards flow then a check valve is what you want. The check valve does have some small amount of back leakage determined by the tightness of the seal. The term "backflow preventer" usually denotes a device that positvely stops backflow so as not to contaminate an upstream source. The backflow preventer is usually an assembly that consist of two check valves in series with an automatic bleed off valve in between them. If the flow is going the correct way everything works. If the flow tries to reverse both check valves seal and the drain valve opens draining the space between the valves. There are some simpler devices for garden hoses etc. Buildings chemical plants etc. use such a device so that if the city water pressure drops below building or site pressure the contaminated water will not (can not) contaminate city. Sorry about the detail Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.