Hood 810 Roller Furler

FredS

May 11, 2020
Catalina 27 Dorchester, MA
My Hood 810 Line Drive Furler is jamming in both furling and unfurling. Does anyone know what may be the cause and what the fix would be?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Possible furler jamming when furling and unfurling causes that come to mind are are halyard wrap and furling line wrap. To mitigate halyard wrap read this article How To: Avoiding the Halyard Wrap - Sail Magazine and to mitigate furling line wrap keep some tension on the furling line while unfurling and on the leeward sheet while furling.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Additionally, make sure the drum and the halyard swivel both spin freely. These should be flushed with fresh water occasionally - can spray with WD-40 before flushing if it's really dirty in there. Also, make sure the furling line is in good shape, though problems with the line usually result in it slipping when trying to furl the sail in.

Let us know what you find. If you need some new parts, I have a complete 810 LD sitting in my garage that works but looks its age (see below) - seeing as you are local to me, you're welcome to it.
CAM00167.jpg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My Hood 810 Line Drive Furler is jamming in both furling and unfurling. Does anyone know what may be the cause and what the fix would be?
“Jamming” meaning what? Furling line is jammed in the drum? Halyard wrapping around the forestat?

Not sure we can help without knowing what the symptoms are…

photos?

help us help you !

Greg

FredS

May 11, 2020
Furling line is not jammed. When I’m letting the sail out, it just stops and I have to go back and forth a few times to get it loose. Then, when furling the sail, I got it about 3/4 furled and could not get the drum to turn at all. I could unfurl it, but could not completely furl it. I tried turning the drum by hand and it just wouldn’t turn any more. I will check the Halyard. Could it be bearings?

FredS

May 11, 2020
Hey dmax, Thanks for the offer. When I figure out what exactly is wrong, I may take you up on that. Which side of the bridge are you?

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
It looks like the same one - yours is in better shape cosmetically.

May 22, 2020
Pearson 303 Casco Bay
I have the same furler and experienced the same symptoms so last winter I took the whole thing apart, figuring that it couldn't get more broken than it already was.

When I took the bearings apart, it appeared to me that the balls were alternating stainless steel and some kind of plastic. The plastic balls were considerably smaller than the stainless balls. I assumed this was from from wear, the effect being that the larger balls would ride up on top of the smaller ones and jam, preventing the bearing from rotating.

Still figuring I had nothing to lose, I replaced the balls, regreased, and put everything back together which was a fiddly, finicky task, but it operated like new until I found the corresponding single line furler drive unit at a salvage outfit and replaced the continuous line drive unit.

I still have the continuous drive unit, but it sounds like dmax has one much closer at hand for you, if needed.

FredS

May 11, 2020
So, it was just the bearings in the drum that needed to be replaced, not the ones on the foil?

FredS

May 11, 2020
It looks like the same one - yours is in better shape cosmetically.
I don’t know. My drum is open on the sides and if I don’t keep tension on the continuous loop lines, it falls off the drum. Your looks like the drum is enclosed with windows where the furling lines enter the drum.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I don’t know. My drum is open on the sides and if I don’t keep tension on the continuous loop lines, it falls off the drum. Your looks like the drum is enclosed with windows where the furling lines enter the drum.
I see that now, I do have smaller openings, I never had the line fall off the drum (I always try to keep tension on it when furling) so maybe it was an improvement they made.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The manual says that the bearings are a combination of alternating SS and Delrin bearings.

greg

Attachments

FredS

May 11, 2020
Thanks everyone! I solved my problem today! It turns out the problem was Halyard wrap. My sail didn’t go up high enough and the angle of the halyard coming out of the mast was way too narrow. I lashed a 6” pennant between the tack and the top of the furling drum which allowed me to raise the sail by 6”. This increased the angle of the halyard to about 60 deg. from the mast, which will make it impossible for the halyard to wrap around the stay. Thanks for all the feedback.