Homeland Security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
I am about frustrated with Homeland Security but not for the standard reasons. For the last month they have some kind of craptraption of a boat next to me in the slip. This thing is an inflatable with an aluminum deck house and deck. It sticks out 20 feet into the channel and leaves me 2 feet of clearance between me and it. This makes docking and leaving a real experience when the current is setting you to the North which is the side they are on. Worse part of it is they haven't moved the thing in a month.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I'm planning on dragging this boat over the border into Canada late this summer, and launching near Toronto. I've heard it's wise to request (and hopefully receive) some sort of documentation that the boat crossed the border by land, ...
IIRC, there's a whole "cottage industry" of small, trailerable boaters in your area that have set up either a website or links to various agencies, since they do take their boats across the border on a regular basis. A Google search on "bringing trailerable boats across the Canadian border" is sure to find it.

Jul 28, 2012
Hunter 410 San Blas,Mexico
Good advise ... I will let the dogs sleep until I show up. I have recently crossed from the BVIs to the USVIs on my brother's boat with ease, but the customs people deal with sailors daily. I do understand the need for international security. Canada and the US has shared the world's longest unprotected boarder and both countries should be proud. Being NAFTA countries, boarder movement should be simple, however security has become big business with the resulting power issues. All part of the experience.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
I'm planning on dragging this boat over the border into Canada late this summer, and launching near Toronto. I've heard it's wise to request (and hopefully receive) some sort of documentation that the boat crossed the border by land, as a boat with NY registration and a US ensign flying off the stern may bring questions from customs/immigration. Best to have some sort of documentation, I would think.

I've only ever crossed into Canada by water (bigger boat; not the Mac), so this will be a new experience. :neutral:
I live in Canada and have hauled a boat back and forth across the border a number of times. It is usually easier clearing when coming in on the water as the agent you are dealing with will most likely have experience with boats and the requirements.

I've crossed into the US in January taking the boat to Florida for 2 months and asked for something to prove when and where I crossed with the boat in case I was stopped while on the water. They refused, I asked to please stamp my passport, NO!! they thought I was up to something ?? So I took a series of photographs of the rig and credit card receipts as proof of how we got to the Keys and were many miles away from our truck and trailer.

You might contact the Trailer Sailors Association, they can provide a lot of advice, http://www.trailersailors.org/, they have US & Canadian members.

good luck, Bob

Attachments

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
Thanks Roger. Being Canadian I don't have assess to the USCG until I enter US waters, but I think that contacting them in advance of entering is good advise. I know that it is not difficult, but I would like to have my ducks in a row as some of the regulations are different. I am making similar arranges in preparation of entering Mexico from the US if anyone has any advise, it would greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob
Bob, I obtained the required oil notice at a West Marine for free, just a peel and stick plastic label. I think the "garbage plan" notice is only required for quite large boats or those used in charter.

If you have a connection with a sailor in the US perhaps they could mail you one?

Bob

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Thanks Roger. Being Canadian I don't have assess to the USCG until I enter US waters, but I think that contacting them in advance of entering is good advise. I know that it is not difficult, but I would like to have my ducks in a row as some of the regulations are different. I am making similar arranges in preparation of entering Mexico from the US if anyone has any advise, it would greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob
http://www.rockypointonline.com/customs.htm

http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/2813-bringing-your-boat-to-mexico

I think re-entering the U.S. from Mexico will only be slightly more daunting...

Apr 13, 2009
Irwin 33 St Pete, FL
Bob, I obtained the required oil notice at a West Marine for free, just a peel and stick plastic label. I think the "garbage plan" notice is only required for quite large boats or those used in charter.

If you have a connection with a sailor in the US perhaps they could mail you one?

Bob
All that is required for that boat is a garbage placard. They are usually available right next to the Oil placard at the same "price"
It just has the distance limits and type/size of garbage that can be discharged overboard. The garbage plan for vessels over 100 ton or passenger vessels is just a statement that declares how garbage is handled onboard a particular vessel. e.g. http://www.gl-group.com/pdf/Garbage-Management-Plan.pdf

Jul 28, 2012
Hunter 410 San Blas,Mexico
If you want to experience the "best" sailing in Canada, maybe the world, make the long haul to Vancouver, Gulf Islands to Desolation Sound. On second thought, probably easier to charter. Just be aware of why it is so lush and green. I have probably started a regional dispute here.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Garbage and Oil Placards

Save some $, look up the text of the placards online (West Marine catalog) and type up your own. They don't have to be made out of plastic and cost $15! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.