Homeland Security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Since trading our privacy for security is currently such a hot issue, a homeland security story should be topical even if from a few years ago. Some of you may know of the oceanographic cruise my son and I made in Strider in 2009. If not, you can read about it here:

http://www.cruisingonstrider.us/images/SciencePlan.pdf

http://issuu.com/pointseast/docs/september_issuu

http://www.cruisingonstrider.us/RVStrider.htm

Canada wouldn’t let us into their waters without research permits obtained through the State Department so we were sampling and putting a portable CTD instrument over the side just on the U.S. side of the border in the Grand Manan Channel near Eastport. A ship went by and I heard them call the Coast Guard and report that a sailboat was doing something strange out in the channel.

A while later, I heard the Coast Guard calling for the vessel fishing in Grand Manan Channel. Since we weren’t fishing, I didn’t realize that they were calling us. Not long after, I saw the big bow wave of a boat heading towards us from Eastport and realized what was going on.

The Coast Guard put a man aboard who ran through the whole safety checklist, flares? Check. Oil placard? Check. Life jackets? Check. We got a “No discrepancies” boarding report a, “Have a nice day.”, and they were off.

However, right in the cockpit was this device, the CTD which measures salinity, temperature, and depth. Lowering this over the side is what the ship thought was fishing.

Down below was our small lab with racks of water samples in bottles and bottles of chemicals and chemical hazard gloves sitting on the counter.

This was all taking place in the middle of May which isn’t exactly cruising season in that part of the world. Just being there in a sailboat would be a bit suspicious. Despite being prompted by the report of a boat doing something strange, THEY NEVER MENTIONED OR ASKED ABOUT ANY OF THIS! It was like they just didn’t see any of it. They ran down their SOP checklist like it was a July weekend in Portland and headed back to Eastport.

You know, much as I value privacy and minimal government intrusion in my life, there are bad guys out there and I would like to think that all this stuff might at least have prompted a question.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Roger,

Sounds like a non-story to me.

These coasties see everything imaginable afloat. And they are good reads of people. And I'm sure they had their stabilized binocs on you for a while observing on the run-in. And they got it 100% right. Why make a deal about it?

Nov 29, 2011
Douglass & McCloud Thistle East of the Hudson
I think the Coasties tend to think of sailing folk as mostly harmless. Strider doesn't look like the sort of boat a smuggler or lobster poacher would use, and the boarding party probably fairly quickly deduced that you were: American, sober, passably competent on a boat, & hadn't been observed any jettisoning of contraband.

It's a little like the cop pulling you over for a rolling stop. If you are polite, sober, don't set off any red flags, and the computer passes you and the car, it's likely to be "be more careful next time".

If you are black, hispanic with an accent, middle eastern looking, act paranoid or your boat looks seriously out of place then they are all over you like a cheap suit.

I sailed a bullseye last October through Woods Hole at slack tide and headed down Vineyard Sound and a CG patrol boat came out of Little Harbor, and came close aboard, slowed, looked me over, and sped South. I'm sure they figured oh, just another bearded old coot, not radiating incompetence, the forecast is decent, let's get going.

As for the gizmo lashed to your steering pedestal, he probably thought that was just another bit of arcane sailboat hardware. He was afraid to ask, suspecting that you would reply "That's the turtle for the gollywobbler" or some such thing, and didn't want to admit that whatever the answer, it would be meaningless to him, not knowing the difference between a fuel polisher and a gronicle.

MSter

Apr 12, 2010
Sabre 38' MK II Oriental, NC
I'm surprised you didn’t at least get a "So what are you guys doin out here anyway?"
MSter

Nov 29, 2011
Douglass & McCloud Thistle East of the Hudson
I'm surprised you didn’t at least get a "So what are you guys doin out here anyway?"
MSter
The answer is "just out for a sail" 99% of the time, so why ask?

On my wife's first introduction to my family's style of cruising, there was a day when the weather wasn't very good. We had a good breakfast, hoisted the anchor, had a vigorous sail thrashing around the island, and at the end of the day came back to the same anchorage. To this day she insists we might have had as much fun rowing ashore and exploring the island, or staying below and reading a good book.

She doesn't sail with me often, but she lets me go, so it's OK.

Nov 22, 2008
As for the gizmo lashed to your steering pedestal, he probably thought that was just another bit of arcane sailboat hardware.
And the boxes of small bottles stacked in the quarter berth (not visible in the photo but quite evident at the time) and rack of chemicals with hazmat gloves?

I wasn't expecting a strip search but I thought they might at least ask a question.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
I've seen this many times in "similar" organizations, of promoting people to their highest level of incompetence..

Jul 28, 2012
Hunter 410 San Blas,Mexico
Hi Roger. I am preparing to sail down to Pacific coast from Canada to Mexico and I would like to ensure that I have the proper documents to avoid any issues. What do you mean by an oil placard? I believe that i also need a printed garbage disposal plan. What does that entail? Would there be anything else that one might ordinarily think to have?

MSter

Apr 12, 2010
Sabre 38' MK II Oriental, NC
BB
I'm used to dealing with the ultra inquisitive Border Security agents who will ask all kinds of questions, eg what's in the cooler? why only 1 life jacket in the car ? (when there are two people), both CG and Border security are part of Homeland Security.
Chris,
You're referring to " The Peter Principal" a well documented practice of promoting a person to a position beyond their capability.
Mster

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I think the Coasties tend to think of sailing folk as mostly harmless. Strider doesn't look like the sort of boat a smuggler or lobster poacher would use, and the boarding party probably fairly quickly deduced that you were: American, sober, passably competent on a boat, & hadn't been observed any jettisoning of contraband.
Only dumb/uninformed Coasties would ignore a boat because it's a sailboat.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...na-Island-Highlights-New-Trend-167334865.html - While the article calls this a new tactic, it isn't. "Smuggler's Wind" is a great book about smuggling drugs on sailboats written by a man who was actually doing it.

Nov 22, 2008
What do you mean by an oil placard?
I suggest you ask your local USCG Auxiliary for a courtesy inspection before you leave. They will give you a decal which you can point to if the USCG comes along side. If all they are interested in is doing a safety inspection, they will let you go. If they think you might have a "cargo", they might still board you though.

Jul 28, 2012
Hunter 410 San Blas,Mexico
Thanks Roger. Being Canadian I don't have assess to the USCG until I enter US waters, but I think that contacting them in advance of entering is good advise. I know that it is not difficult, but I would like to have my ducks in a row as some of the regulations are different. I am making similar arranges in preparation of entering Mexico from the US if anyone has any advise, it would greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob

Nov 22, 2008
I don't have assess to the USCG until I enter US waters, but I think that contacting them in advance of entering is good advise.
Yikes! Don't do that. Let sleeping dogs lie. Research entry requirements, sail to a point of entry, and contact U.S. Customs. Be prepared for a lot of crazy and pointless stuff. I cringe when I hear my Canadian friends describe what they have to go through to cruise in this country, at least away from the border areas. It makes me embarrassed for my country.

(Rephrased for careless word choice and to avoid pushing hot buttons of my country is always right patriots.)

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
No doubt. I was "touring" with my buddy last year, "The Slimey Limey", and My GOD! Immigration chased us all over the east coast until I tried to convince him to lose the Union Jack off of the rail. A HELL of a fine man, career military, never in trouble, 70 years old, etc., and you would think that they were chasing Carlos The Jackal. Homeland Gestapo disgusts me. They worried this poor man so much, that if it were me, I would have dropped trou. on the capitol steps, and hightailed it somewhere else.

Absolutely unbelievable..

(Stash the Maple Leaf).

Kordie

Aug 7, 2011
Beneteau 393 Cruising Baja
I entered San Diego from Mexico. It couldn't have been easier. Customs guys were really friendly.

I had a lot more grief just transiting through LAX than I did bringing in my boat and crew.

Nov 22, 2008
Customs guys were really friendly.
That's always been my experience as well. Having to stop and trundle up to the office to show my passport and vessel document is a bit of a pain compared to just the phone call I make when entering Canada but it's never been more trouble than buying an ice cream cone once I have to divert and make the stop.

It's interesting to hear what Canadians say about re-entering their own country. I guess their customs figure it's more likely that their citizens will be bringing in stuff they are concerned about, like liquor and drugs, than visiting U.S. yachtsman. Canadians are always amazed that I enter with just a phone call because they usually get a complete locker tossing inspection each time they enter their own country.

Sep 5, 2007
MacGregor 26X Rochester
I've always found the Canadian folks to be polite and easy to deal with when entering Canada. I've always found the US folks to be grouchy and impatient when reentering the US. Both ends have always been by phone, with the video/picture phone on the US side (holding up passports so they can presumably snap a pic of it). You can't draw broad conclusions from just a few data points, but that's been my experience when crossing Lake Ontario.

I also fly the quarantine flag off the starboard spreader when entering Canadian waters, before getting cleared by Canadian authorities, but I don't know if it's actual black-letter law, or one of those things you're supposed to do but most don't, or what.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Q Flag

I also fly the quarantine flag off the starboard spreader when entering Canadian waters, before getting cleared by Canadian authorities, but I don't know if it's actual black-letter law, or one of those things you're supposed to do but most don't, or what.
LOL! years ago while returning for the first time to the US from Mexico, I flew a Q flag after I crossed the US border. A CG cutter hailed me from a distance and wanted to know vessel, crew and destination info. I gave them what they asked and told them I was flying the Q flag. Well, that caused a rush of questions: who was sick, how long, what was the nature, etc. I replied no one was ill, that I simply understood it was required to fly a Q flag until cleared. That actually made the Coastie laugh. He said I was probably the only one he knew to actually do that. That flag has been in the bag since.

My experiences coming back to the US have been professional and courteous for the most part with a couple of grumpy exceptions, but everyplace has that. Checking out of Mexico this time, I was glad I had an agent since some things had changed. It was not a big deal, just the typical paper paper stamp stamp, paper paper stamp stamp and a couple of certificates suitable for framing. What surprised me is on the US side I was asked for the exit papers from Mexico. Never had them ask for that before.

Sep 5, 2007
MacGregor 26X Rochester
I'm planning on dragging this boat over the border into Canada late this summer, and launching near Toronto. I've heard it's wise to request (and hopefully receive) some sort of documentation that the boat crossed the border by land, as a boat with NY registration and a US ensign flying off the stern may bring questions from customs/immigration. Best to have some sort of documentation, I would think.

I've only ever crossed into Canada by water (bigger boat; not the Mac), so this will be a new experience. :neutral:

Status
Not open for further replies.