Holding Tank Troubleshooting

Apr 5, 2019
Catalina 310 323 Brooklyn, NY
The holding tank seemed to empty ok using pump-out station. Using macerator pump offshore we couldn't seem to empty the tank at all even though we hear the pump running and all valves verified in proper position.
I'd like to check/clean the vent hose first before tackling the impeller.
I see the vent hose running from the hull vent down by the aft side of the tank. Whats the easiest way to access it and clean it out?

Sean

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
The holding tank seemed to empty ok using pump-out station. Using macerator pump offshore we couldn't seem to empty the tank at all even though we hear the pump running and all valves verified in proper position.
I'd like to check/clean the vent hose first before tackling the impeller.
I see the vent hose running from the hull vent down by the aft side of the tank. Whats the easiest way to access it and clean it out?

Sean
It should enter the top of the tank. I’m guessing it’s the original, small diameter hose? You can try back flushing it with water. Best thing to do is replace it with a larger diameter vent hose, and a mushroom fitting on the side of the boat. Your holding tank will smell better. Peggy Hall has lots of information about doing that on her forum here.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If you're certain the tank can be pumped out--completely, not just a gallon or two--without a problem, the tank vent isn't blocked...which means the problem is the macerator pump, most likely a worn out or "fried" impeller.
--Peggie

Apr 5, 2019
Catalina 310 323 Brooklyn, NY
Tank vent hose and hull vent all clear as suspected.
I cleaned them out anyway.
The macerator pump runs but I think the impeller needs replacing. Should I just buy the service kit or is it worth replacing the entire pump and upgrade to the newer run-dry protection model?
$60 kit vs. $120 pump.
I read it’s a good idea to order the stainless steel stud kit as well to replace the stock bronze ones...

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What would have to be changed?
Smitty put one in. I read in his blog. I was too interested in his hurricaneS stories to dig deeper to see if he wrote just that installation up. Knowing him, it most likely fit and/or was "doable."

Peggie's right, check the specs, 'cuz whatever somebody else had on their C310 doesn't mean it's just like yours.

Good luck.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Paulj gave you the pics. It was as close to plug and play as you get. The mounting feet are all on the wood plate but not in the same holes as the jabaco. It was a very easy upgrade.

We actually did it well before the hurricanes. But that area got so much salt spray during the storms that most things have failed (solar controller, Blue Sea Breakers, terminal strips, wire, etc.). Our original Raritan was no exception. (Really blame myself, should have washed the entire area down with rubbing alcohol, you learn some stuff going through two cat 5 storms).

So when I had to change it, super quick. And very clean.