Holding Tank Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 3, 2010
Hunter 326 Charleston SC
I have a Hunter 326, 2003 and the holding tank has developed a leak.:eek: Does this job stink! There is a crack on the top of the female fitting that attached to the macerator discharge hose. Can a crack in the fitting be repaired? (pic below) I know other have said they’ve used 3M products on a PE tank with success but the fittings? I’m concerned about the constant stress on the fitting and it's on the bottom.

Next issue is getting it out, 20 gal tank and a tight cabin door on the 326. I removed the door which got me closer but still can’t make the turn. Anyone have a suggestion? I’m looking at removing the wall between the head and aft cabin which looks like a huge job.

I'm Stuck

Attachments

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
The fitting had to be installed originally with some process so it seems that replacing it should be possible. It might be an ultrasonic process where very high frequency vibrations generate enough heat to melt the joint and then resolidify it? I'd suggest you call a tank outfit like ronco or ocean link Inc and aks their service people.

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina 30 Sidney B.C.
I have a Hunter 326, 2003 and the holding tank has developed a leak.:eek: Does this job stink! There is a crack on the top of the female fitting that attached to the macerator discharge hose. Can a crack in the fitting be repaired? (pic below) I know other have said they’ve used 3M products on a PE tank with success but the fittings? I’m concerned about the constant stress on the fitting and it's on the bottom.

Next issue is getting it out, 20 gal tank and a tight cabin door on the 326. I removed the door which got me closer but still can’t make the turn. Anyone have a suggestion? I’m looking at removing the wall between the head and aft cabin which looks like a huge job.

I'm Stuck
This is installed by a process called spin welding , check around ay plastic shops who they use or check an rv shop they fix these all the time as there is a fitting that hooks up to a router and spins a new one in , I have done it before

Jan 15, 2012
Dyer Dhow, Cats Paw 10 ft, 12 ft Montpelier, VT
I agree with Jibes138, but I'd try Ocean link first. Their website is www.oceanlinkinc.com.

They're in Portsmouth RI, just up the road from Newport. Been in business for quite awhile and are well known for their expertise in marine plumbing through-out the area, even by the boat builders there. I found out about them through Shannon Yachts years ago.

Ask for terri or Kevin. I pretty sure they build custom poly tanks.

As for getting the tank out I I'd say don't mess around, do it right. Take out what you really have to even if it means some serious cutting. Remember, if you think it through now, you'll save yourself a lot of grief later.

Head systems seem to be the boat builders stepchild. The least thought through, and I've seen some winners. On new boats.

Again, Ocean Link might be able to help. It's possible they've had to deal with your exact same problem.

Aug 3, 2010
Hunter 326 Charleston SC
Thanks for the info looks like SBO has a tank available if needed. Has anyone had a tank repaired, what was the cost.
Still trying to figure out how to remove the panel between the head and the aft cabin. Anyone ever try this. Hunter put laminate over the seams in the head and wood trim in the aft cabin. The adventure continues tonight

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I bought a fuel tank last summer from Ocean Link. Only one I could find like it anywhere. Turns out it was made and shipped from Mueller, but it is not advertised anywhere other than Ocean Link and looks like it is custom made for them.

The rotary process sounds like inertia welding, very spectacular process when done with high strength steel on a tube with a three inch wall thickness. Basically the friction at the interface of the joint with one piece rotating and the other held stationary generates enough heat to fuse the two material together.

Jun 15, 2010
Hunter 326 Bronte Outer Harbour
I have a Hunter 326 and had the idea that I could remove and repair my holding tank when a leak developed. I can assure you that the boat was built around the holding tank. It is not coming out through the cabin. Its plastic so I cut mine into pieces and removed it (hold your breath) and had a local fabricator make a new one from stainless that would fit through the cabin door for easy fitting. The tank is a little heavier and smaller, but not much.

Aug 3, 2010
Hunter 326 Charleston SC
tthomas
Thanks for the reply, I wasn't able to make it down to the boat last night to try and remove the tank from the cabin. I was hoping taking down the bulkhead between the aft cabin and the head would let me turn the tank enough to go straight out the door. Seems the tank is smaller than the door opening by 1/16th but it has to come straight out. If removing the bulkhead is futile do you have the drawings of the tank you had manufactured?

I was thinking of using the 3M Scotch Weld but it's 170.00 for the epoxy, gun and
accessories. Just about half the price of a tank.

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina 30 Sidney B.C.
I just looked up an invoice I had for spin welding a new fitting into a tank and it was 60.00 dollars

Jul 25, 2011
Hunter 340 Chattanooga, TN
I had a holding tank on my Hunter 340 and it was rotten. I took it out and replaced it with a Purusan waste treatment system from Raritan. I'll never go back to messing with a holding tank again. I paid around $1200 for it vs a new holding tank for $900. No brainer for me. Just my 2 cents.

Oh you can get the tank drawings from hunter if you decide to have one built.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I would just cut the old one up enough to get it out.

Don't use anything other than poly. You will be redoing again in the not to distant future.

Check out RoncoPlastic for something that may in the original. They will place the fitging wherever you need them.

Aug 3, 2010
Hunter 326 Charleston SC
Thanks for all the advice and assistance. The holding tank is out in one piece. I had to remove the bulkhead between the aft cabin and the head to do it though. I’ll write that up with pictures for the project site for future reference.
The admiral wants a new tank, so I’ll be calling all the sites recommended here and SBO for the replacement.

Again thanks to everyone for their expertise.

Status
Not open for further replies.