HMS Bounty - combined thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Here's a plot of their GPS path... I won't say what I want to....

Having witnessed and physically walked around this boat when it was undergoing repairs in Boothbay, Maine it is my opinion based on the condition, LOTS of ROT, she was a derelict and not fit for the sea.

I am horrified anyone would even consider taking this thing across a bay let alone set sail directly into a hurricane.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
What a tragedy! Somewhere in the dusty family archives of B & W pictures is one of the Bounty coming into Tampa Bay under full sail in the late 60's taken by my grandfather. I remember an elementary school field trip to see her in St. Petersburg when I was a kid, I got my hands on every Bounty related book I could find for a while there. I still have family in the bay area and have seen her moored in downtown St. Petersburg a couple of times.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Local news is talking about Claudene, saying her parents live in Vian Oklahoma. I dont know what to think, the whole thing has just been sad and tragic. Reports saying they were only 160 miles from the eye? I dont understand.

Of all the model ships ive wanted to build, the Bounty has always been in the top 3.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
What a beauty - what a loss...

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
it looked like his tactic was to go between the frontal system and the hurrycame, which were merging.
it could well have worked, had the water stayed out of the boat and generator continued to function.
rip captain, cc, bounty.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
she isnt going to come back--saddest pix i ever saw--from coast guard rescue--

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
There was a report that the boat had a generator failure. The ship seemed to be taking in water and with the electric pumps out of service they had to abandon ship. I'm too interested as to why that ship was out there. It has been known for a week that this storm was tracking to the area and at least for 3 to 4 days that it was going to be huge storm. Where they that confident that ship was up to dealing with the conditions and just had an unexpected mishap or where they lacking in receiving adequate weather reports?

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
he was using a tactic that could well have worked had the pumps not failed due to generator failure.
water was coming in until this happened---

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
To gamble with a storm the likes of this one on a small ship was pure foolhardy. Too many things can (and apparently did) go wrong.

I was watching the reports on the HMS Bounty Facebook page several days ago, with many people commenting as to why they didn't wait a few days for the storm to pass.

The Captains comment was "ships are safer at sea than in port". Which is pure BS unless you can outrun the path of the storm, obviously something very few ships can do. They were only making 7-8 knots!

His course took them into the lesser winds but rougher seas with winds blowing south and the Gulf Stream current running north. Hundreds of ships like the Bounty litter the bottom of the Outer Banks coast for all the same reasons.

Thankfully the USCG saved most of them.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Tragic loss. People will be second guessing this for a long time.

He was captain of this sailboat some twenty years? He should have been pretty well aware of mechanics on board, the soundness of her systems.

Does seem pretty foolish to leave a safe harbor and venture out into a hurricane.

For those dead and those presumed lost at sea, RIP. Sad event..

May 27, 2012
When these ships were current, they had no engines of any kind, they used man power for everything. Seems no one can do a damn thing anymore without connecting an engine. Perhaps if the ship had been equipped with two man jack pumps she would still be with us, or perhaps it was just meant to be, regardless.

Looking at the coast guard pictures the sea doesnt look that terrible. No, im a rookie sailor and dont have any hands on knowledge of those conditions, but I would expect a ship of that caliber to be capable of handling 40 knot wind in 18 foot seas, provided the commander and crew were up to the task.

But, if the only pumps they had aboard were electric, totally reliant on a generator, without any kind of sufficient manual back up, it was probably doomed a long time ago. Crap dont fail when the suns shining and the waters calm.

Some events touch our lives while others just seem to pass us by. For some reason this whole event has effected me deeply. From the very beginning I was so saddened to hear of the loss of the ship. But for some untold reason I felt deep anguish for Claudene, some kinship I couldnt explain. I prayed for the best, but knowing of the cryptic phone call, deep down knew she was gone. But then to find she had local connections and learn her folks live near by as well, just seemed, well, odd.

But I have lost nothing compared to those who were her crew, the families who lost a husband or daughter, or those who were a part of keeping that ship in operation and tending to her. I am sure that for those who were closest, the ships loss hurts as much as the loss of her captain and crew. And for some it may actually be worse. My only hope and prayer is she is salvaged and restored and sails again. Not very probable I'm sure, but its still my hope.

May 4, 2010
hunter 33_77-83 wilmington, NC
from the map posted above it looks like they were about 200miles due east of Wilmington. Seems to me they made it past the worst of it.

Have to say I agree with Anchor, this one event for what ever reason hit me harder then most. Maybe its because I was aboard her last year dreamed of booking passage on her some day.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Terrible loss, when I was 12yrs old I was invited aboard while on a sailing vacation in the BVIs. I had the pleasure of touring the vessel and then swinging out on a line attached to the lower yard arm and jumping into the water. I will never forget her.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
from the map posted above it looks like they were about 200miles due east of Wilmington. Seems to me they made it past the worst of it.
Not by half. They were angling for the NW quarter of the storm (decreased fetch), but even there they would have found +50kt NW winds against a 5knt current. This was an astonishingly foolish command decision. Rounding Hatteras into a named storm?

May 27, 2012
I believe Capt Bligh and Flether Christian would have sought a safe anchor somewhere to weather it out. But I still contend that if her only pumps were electric, totally reliant on a generator, she was doomed the minute they went in.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I was checking my basement for water this AM and came face to face with a framed print done by Rich Fiedler of the Bounty when she was in Greenport in 2006. I'll have to bring it back up to the office for a while.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
I think....that I'm kind of irritated by the whole thing. I spend my days on the docks, (or out there), and the only reaction that I have heard thus far is stunned disbelief. These guys around here know that this is the "Graveyard of the Atlantic", and it is treated with much respect. Very treacherous waters.
And I, along with some others would like to know what the thinking was. The LOGICAL rationalization of course. The Concordia at least was showing off. That made some kind of sense.

This appears little more than suicide, and the scuttling of a fine boat..

Status
Not open for further replies.