HMS Bounty - combined thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
Here she is in better times, St. Augustine last May.

Dec 27, 2005
Hunter 36 Chicago
Re: How does this happen in 2012

Darn! Saw her several years ago in Chicago for the Tall Ships tour. How in the heck did they get caught out there knowing this was coming since early last week?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I just heard on the CBC that the Bounty has sunk today. Yes that Bounty.
Its a school! Really. It is used with teenagers for training etc.
Here is a link to the CBC web story.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/10/29/ns-hms-bounty-hurricane-sandy.html
What were they doing anywhere on the water with a BIG storm brewing? How much notice did we have on this storm? A week at least.
It does suck. Two missing, as far as the reporting goes. We'll know more about the "why" soon.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine

Captain said he was trying to "skirt" around Sandy. I am no captain and I am sure I do not have the amount of experience this captain has but it has been plainly clear that Sandy is a big storm and extends well beyond the eye for the last 3-4 days. There is no possible way to "skirt" around something as big as sandy.

Hopefully they find the two missing sailors and we are just talking about material losses.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas

Unless they can raise it, the likelihood of ever seeing another one is pretty remote.

Pretty foolish to be out there when they could easily have come inland and layed up somewhere.

May 4, 2010
hunter 33_77-83 wilmington, NC
Re: Another victim of Sandy

I got to tour her last year in Wilmington, NC Sad to hear she is gone. Sounds like something mechanical was more the issue then the storm. I would not think she would have had any problem handling 18ft seas and 40mph winds.

Jun 15, 2009
Vancouver 32 Portland/Falmouth
Bounty

The bounty was built as a movie set in the late 50's if memory serves. I have seen it in for major rebuilds in Maine at least twice but even so it is a very old ship any way it is looked at. It will be interesting to find out if we do what the Captain was doing out there. It seems on the surface to be inadvised at best. I hope they have retrieved the crew.

Best to all impacted by this storm.

May 4, 2010
hunter 33_77-83 wilmington, NC

I got to tour her last year in Wilmington, NC Sad to hear she is gone. I would not think a 180ft ship like that would have had any problem handling 18ft seas and 40mph winds.

I do see in Wikipedia that she just came out of dry dock last week. Sounds like maybe something mechanical was more the issue then the storm.

Scurvy

Oct 2, 2012
Sabre ex: 28 MK 1 , ex: Albin Vega 27' Falmouth, ME

I hope the two missing crew members are quickly and alive. What a sad story this is turning out to be.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.

Its really a sad loss to hear she's sunk. When are sailors gonna start heeding the N.C coast as the Graveyard of the Atlantic? I grew up sailing N.C. waters & gained a healthy respect for them. We capsized some open sailboats there more then once. I can't beleive that a Captain of a special vessel like this would risk his crew & ship when there was a week's notice of this storm. I hope no one is lost, and the Bounty was irreplaceable. I saw a film on her construction, they spent over a year building her with hand axes, chisles & awls & spent millions of 1960's era dollars on her. What a loss, and completely preventable.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish

Kudos to the CG. It's wrong that they were called out in that weather but they did what they do - which is to be the heros. I don't know if everyone was recovered or not but 14 of 16 is pretty damn good.
I still regret not getting a tour of the base in Elizabeth City. It would have been a better afternoon than the tour of retirement development.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I've combined the 2 threads about the sinking of the HMS Bounty.

At this point, Coast Guard are reporting 2 of the 16 crew missing. There are other reports of 17 crew on board, but not confirmed. There is a C130 on scene and 2 helicopters involved in the search.

USCG Update

A crew member posted on his Facebook page his helicopter has arrived at USCG station in NC. USCG has not released names of those rescued.

https://www.facebook.com/n6tqs/posts/10151215260928396

HMS Bounty Facebook

The only report of what the Captain was thinking came from news interview with the Captains wife.

Claudia McCann, whose husband is the captain of the Bounty, said she hadn't slept since she received word the ship was taking on water.
She said her husband, Captain Robin Walbridge, was trying to get around Hurricane Sandy en route to Florida.
"He was just trying to avoid it, skirt it. Skirt through it, skirt around it," McCann said Monday.

Our thoughts go out the families of the crew. They're probably just now starting to find out who is safe and who is missing.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Guys, until we know more facts, we should all restrain our accusations toward the Captain.

Having been landlocked all my life the only tall ship ive ever seen or been aboard is the USS Niagara. While I never saw the Bounty, that ship has always held a special place in my heart since my childhood. Because of the massive amount of materials and labor needed to build a ship such as this, its doubtful she will be replaced. We have all lost a great treasure.

Our hope and prayers rest on the crew count being wrong, that were only looking for two crewmembers, and that they are found soon.

How long can they survive in one of those suits??

Status
Not open for further replies.