Hitch extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Although an added extension is very useful for launching/retrieving, all of the experts will advise against a permanent extended hitch when towing due to a multitude of safety issues. The last post, the owner may want to reconfigure for removal when transporting the boat. I have seen many destructive remanents over the years with a permanent extended hitch. First for starters it requires a larger turning radius and due to that, I have replaced/repaired axles/rims/tires ect... I have also seen boat trailers swaying sideways alot more going down the road and so forth.

dave condon

T_well

Sep 13, 2012
Hunter H23 Lake Sinclair
I guess the caster wheels on the bottom of the tongue jack is not sufficient to use for strap launching????

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I'm so glad I found this thread. Checked my calendar to see why I missed it in July. Was pretty busy on the 26th and 27th.
Anyway, I've been struggling with the exact same issue. Since I already have an extendable tongue that isn't quite long enough, I was wondering if I had my welder make a 6 foot long hitch and use it only when launching would that be safe?
I like the idea of the 30' strap but I'd still like to know what y'all think of the extra-long hitch.
Thanks!

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
The best extension I've seen is on Timo42's Mac 22. He took the hitch and attached it to a smaller tube the telescopes in to the tongue. He tows it with it telescoped in and pinned in place. At the ramp he pulls the pin and pulls the extension out after blocking the wheels. He has a loaded pin using a bungy that drops in to place when the tongue is fully extended. He can so this in the parking before towing to the ramp. He reverses the process when going home. It takes him less than 2 minutes to extend hitch.
Hopefully he will post some pictures.

Oct 8, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Winthrop Harbor, IL Drummond Island,MI
The ramp I was using required the truck's bumper in the water, so I added this extension. 10 ' square tube(3/16 wall....maybe) fits inside existing tongue. Took about a day to complete....minus paint......not real high on the difficulty scale either....hardest part grinding clearance in front crossmember. Works well, easy to use........I sail mostly singlehanded, so can be accomplished solo.

Attachments

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Extra long dolly

Instead of an expensive extension added to the trailer or dolly wheels and a strap, how about a separate dolly added between the trailer and the tow vehicle that can be made rather inexpensive, very light to handle and made with just a drill.

Purchase a Trailer dolly from harbor Freight for $65.00 on saile right now for $50.00 and a Ball Coupler for $15.00

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-x-2-1-2-half-inch-ball-coupler-94771.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=boat dolly

At local hardware or plumbing supply find 2 sizes of pipe, one that will slide inside the other. Remove T-handle from dolly and drill and bolt larger pipe in it’s place. Insert smaller pipe into larger pipe and drill a 1/4 inch hole through both pipes every 2 feet. Drill and bolt the ball coupler to the end of the inside pipe. This should give you a portable extension length from 10 feet to 18 feet by inserting a 1/4 inch bolt or pin wherever the holes line up.

The dolly and coupler weights 32 pounds, the steel pipe maybe up to another 40 pounds and strap the whole unit to the top of the trailer under the hull for easy extraction when needed.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Generally if you purchase the two wheel dolly for the tongue of the trailer vs. single wheel, it is more stout than the single wheel and for the 23 hunter wing keel, many have gone that route when launching with a 30 foot strap, chain, heavy duty line and so forth. The only thing is guiding the trailer down the ramp if going that route and makiing darn sure that you know what you are doing to secure the strap. I use to carry chain. By the way as a former dealer, I use to trailer launch behind my pickup of course diesel with 4X4 up to a Hunter 340 and even lauched a 320 over a bridge with a crane. You have to know what you are doing and be safe no matter what.

crazy dave condon

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
The easiest and cleanest solution that has been tried and tested by flynfol and timo42 is to telescope your extension into the existing tongue. It may be a little work initially but far easier than using a strap.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Watercolors! said:
Instead of an expensive extension added to the trailer or dolly wheels and a strap, how about a separate dolly added between the trailer and the tow vehicle that can be made rather inexpensive, very light to handle and made with just a drill.

Purchase a Trailer dolly from harbor Freight for $65.00 on saile right now for $50.00 and a Ball Coupler for $15.00

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-x-2-1-2-half-inch-ball-coupler-94771.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=boat%20dolly

At local hardware or plumbing supply find 2 sizes of pipe, one that will slide inside the other. Remove T-handle from dolly and drill and bolt larger pipe in it’s place. Insert smaller pipe into larger pipe and drill a 1/4 inch hole through both pipes every 2 feet. Drill and bolt the ball coupler to the end of the inside pipe. This should give you a portable extension length from 10 feet to 18 feet by inserting a 1/4 inch bolt or pin wherever the holes line up.

The dolly and coupler weights 32 pounds, the steel pipe maybe up to another 40 pounds and strap the whole unit to the top of the trailer under the hull for easy extraction when needed.
This rig is not going to hold the forces exerted from larger sailboats. The harbor freight tool is made to move trailers you could lift by hand, but would rather save your back.

A trailer with a thousand pounds of force banging around on it, loading a larger sailboat would crush this, I fear.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
Sounds like a poorly built ramp. It's not steep enough. Have you tried other ramps?

T_well

Sep 13, 2012
Hunter H23 Lake Sinclair
Crazy Dave, are you talking about a double wheeled tongue jack maybe? Do you have a pic of what you're describing? I'm close to ready to launch again and want the easier course of action!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Fulton for example builds a dual wheel with a 1500 pound capacity trailer swing away tongue jack which I think they refer to as the XPD15L of a larger single wheel with the same weight capacity as the XPD150101 I think. Look them up and see what you think..

crazy dave

Jul 8, 2012
Helms 25 indiana
I have used straps to pull a boat out of a steep sandy ramp, but was thinking of getting a extension for my next boat. my f-250 dug into the sand when I tried to haul out. after that is when I made my mind up to buy/make one. the info that I just got here was a real eye opener. Thanks to you all....

T_well

Sep 13, 2012
Hunter H23 Lake Sinclair
OK want to let you guys pick this one apart. I'm sure there's a flaw, but I can't see it yet. What if we extended the hitch from the truck end? Just take a piece of 2" square tubing add a hitch ball to one end. On the other, attach a piece small enough to fit in your receiver. No to account for the vertical angle change in backin on a ramp, attach this piece with a horizontally mounted pivot point. Even as I type this now, I still see the need for a tongue wheel on the trailer. Anyway, it's another view at the same problem! Someone can take this and run with it.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
try this, formating went wonky earlier post

http://youtu.be/guLwzdAxFZ8
Nice trailer, was that $6000 productions cost or retail? If its retail its pretty inexpensive. Only $2000 more than I paid for my C27 boat and trailer. I like the idea of using electric brakes thinking switching over on mine. I just removed the brakes completely, they were toast. The other thing is I don't think using that trailer jack as a support wheel while backing down ramp will hold up. It would at our MDR ramp. We have some pretty deep traction grooves in the cement.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
So anyway, no one answered the question about making a long hitch on the vehicle end. 6' would be perfect for me. I would use it only at the ramp and not for towing. A friend said that would cause too much twist in the vehicle but I really don't see it. Comments?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.