high water?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
The governor of MI has declared a state of emergency for the city of Midland for immediate evacuation due to a dam failure

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Jon, your predictions were smack on. While it looked like the storm would sweep through the Mitten, it stalled instead.

Prayers for all you Michiganders. Stay dry where you can.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
my cousin texted me that they got 7" at the house in sturge. wow!

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
@jon hansen

I was looking at Lake levels means today and it appears that Mich-Huron has somewhat stabilized after the storm. Have the flooded areas started to recover?

May 25, 2012
it's ugly in sturge. marina, old PJ's dock is 6" under. cars have a no wake zone. water peaks in late july ish', then there are wind pushes. travel lift piers are under. mast hoist under. but on the bright side the kids report the fishing has never been better. granddaughter, 8, reeling them in while grandson , 3, is in charge of the landing net. he rides in the bow on a bean bag chair, naps between strikes.
life is grand

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
it's ugly in sturge. marina, old PJ's dock is 6" under. cars have a no wake zone. water peaks in late july ish', then there are wind pushes. travel lift piers are under. mast hoist under. but on the bright side the kids report the fishing has never been better. granddaughter, 8, reeling them in while grandson , 3, is in charge of the landing net. he rides in the bow on a bean bag chair, naps between strikes.
life is grand
Yeh - flooding is not good. We had roadways in Kingston last year and in 2017 that if the wind blew hard from a particular direction there were fish swimming across the pavement from the lake to a swampy area on the other side of the road. Interesting to see but NOT funny.

Kids do seem to always find the silver lining! Now that’s FUN to watch! :)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
It appears that Lake Ontario officially peaked May 5 at 75.40 m (247.38 ft.) and is slowly going down, yesterday’s level was 75.32 m (247.11 ft) just a little more than 3 inches in a month. The outflow at the dam has been lowered several times to ensure the level in Lake St Lawrence is adequate. All the other lakes remain very high so I hope we don’t get any more major weather events!

This is the latest Lake Ontario forecast

97D07F77-0AF1-4390-A3E3-DA7B83A31E33.jpeg

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 28 East Tawas
I am looking at the live cam for the East Tawas state harbor in Michigan. The ramp going from land to the new floating docks had a down slant from the land to the docks. This morning the slant runs down from the docks to the land (slightly). This means the docks are higher than the land side approach. A phenomenon seen in areas with high tides but unusual for the Great Lakes. Shouldn't run aground this sailing season...<[;o)

May 25, 2012
the forecast for the next 10 days is the driest i've seen for quite some time. yeee haaw. lots of sun, lots of mister evaporation doing his thing. a pox on those artesians and their evil ways.
don't forget your sunscreen.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
7025C784-EC1D-44ED-822A-8F5B1B961171.jpeg

I’m a little puzzled by this data. If you look at last month avg compared to this month current avg the lakes are pretty much static other than Ontario (which has been receding gradually for quite some time).

The standout is Lake Erie showing a slight reduction in level, which is the part that puzzles me. There isn’t any flow control from the “upstream” lakes and they are still a lot higher than “average” so how can Lake Erie be lower????

May 25, 2012
hunter 216, no puzzle at all! 99% of the water leaving the great lakes is through evaporation.
OK, for you ney sayers, the vast majority, the largest amount of, the way the system works is evaporation. the great lakes are a huge cauldron of steaming moisture that affects the weather around it.
all the squawking about river control is very minor.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
hunter 216, no puzzle at all! 99% of the water leaving the great lakes is through evaporation.
OK, for you ney sayers, the vast majority, the largest amount of, the way the system works is evaporation. the great lakes are a huge cauldron of steaming moisture that affects the weather around it.
all the squawking about river control is very minor.
No dispute about evaporation being a big factor, even more a factor when humidity is low and the wind is up.

My puzzlement stems from the other lakes are NOT going down like Erie is. Maybe more rain over Superior, Mich and Huron area equalizing evaporation???

At least they all seemed to have stopped increasing!! :)