help!!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Never let reality get in the way of a good fantasy.
It's just interesting the basic question being how big of a boat; not what type of boat other than to inquire catamaran versus monohull. Recall that Tania Aebi circumnavigated in a Contessa 26.

Apr 6, 2007
Hunter Legend 37.5 Isla Saboga, Panama
We did that sail in June or 2012 on our way to Panama. The preferred route was east around Cuba, through the Windward Passage, then straight-line to Cartagena. You have a better angle on the trade winds going east rather than going west through the Yucatan Channel. But going west does give you multiple stops along the way wher you can wait for good weather windows.
In our case, it was the beginning of hurricane season, and I didn't want to linger too long hopping down the Central American coast. We just made the non-stop run in 11 days, with 4 days of gale force winds and 20 foot seas crossing the Caribbean.
It was a miserable experience I would not want to repeat!
Our generator shorted out at 3 AM on the 3rd night of the storm, and the scare of a fire on-board in 20' seas, still 200 miles from shore was a horrible thing to go through! Fortunately, no fire broke out, but the smoke filled the cabin, and for about 10 minutes, I was going through our abandon ship routine in my mind, just in case. Realizing that the odds of getting the life raft deployed and us safely in it were slim to none is pretty scary!

Jun 1, 2004
Beneteau 393 Newport
If you have to ask, "how much experience will I need", you apparently don't have enough. Once you have the necessary experience you will also know what type and size boat best fits your needs. Until that day occurs, start small, sail often and enjoy the experience.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
This thread is a perfect example of a 'Loaded' question that causes quite a ruckus.
With that said, all I can add is that every time I sail I an humbled by what I DON'T know. This is my motivation to practice more to close the gap between what I have learned and the distant, but by no means defined, mark of the 'expert' sailing knowledge level. I practice in a 22 ft boat in a sheltered bay with brief jaunts into open water but always in sight of land, and never alone. Every time I set foot on a larger boat (and I love to window shop) I am reminded of how much more practice and knowledge I need to gain.

Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
The OP posted once and hasn't responded to any of the comments. I think he has moved on.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Clue in yesterday's NYT crossword: "Who has ever won a debate on the internet?". Answer: "No one".
Cheers! Alastair.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Anyone remember the dude who wanted info on reinforcing his C22 for sailing to Mexico via Cuba with his reluctant wife and their 2 yr old? "Flame Sprayed!" CloudDriver wasn't here for that one!

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
A closer examination reveals that the fellow owns a Catalina 33. I would like to inquire about this boat, being strangely attracted to different stuff.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
A closer examination reveals that the fellow owns a Catalina 33. I would like to inquire about this boat, being strangely attracted to different stuff.
Yeah... I was threadjacking. Referring to a similar thread 2 years ago.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Looks like Mr. Orca Lopez only stayed around long enough to read @Brian D 's gentle admonition, and hasn't been seen since.

Perhaps he's busy.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Yeah Guys and I got jumped for not liking his title of "Help!!" With 2 exclamation marks thats like screaming help to us even if it is a forum. I didn't like it from the gitgo! Tell us what we can help you with, not title it "Help!!". Chief