Help with identifying my boat?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
This has become an unexpectedly interesting thread. :beer:

I confess I did a google image search using a cropped image of your sail logo. Google thinks it is a bison...:biggrin::kick:
Yes, unusual that the brain trust here has not come up with a correct identity, yet.

Jul 22, 2021
O' Day 14 Auburn
This has become an unexpectedly interesting thread. :beer:

I confess I did a google image search using a cropped image of your sail logo. Google thinks it is a bison...:biggrin::kick:
Lol
Well, good try mate..
I’m becoming more and more at peace with the idea that I won’t find out what it is, and will just move on with sailing it...
Though the answer is surely out there somewhere...

Jul 22, 2021
O' Day 14 Auburn
It was suggested of me, to write to Good Old Boat magazine...which I did.
Here's the reply:

Hi Rich,

I'm stumped.

C&C (standing for Cuthbertson & Cassian), an Ontario, Canada boat builder designed and built a Viking 28' in 1968 and a Viking 33' in 1971 and then a redesign in 1973 (then calling it a Viking 34'). I only know this because one of their designers is my technical editor, Rob Mazza, and we've reviewed and published this boat in Good Old Boat Magazine, issue #116 Sep/Oct 2017. But a quick search on Wikipedia will also give you this basic information. And you are correct, they did not design the one you are inquiring about. In fact, the insignia for the Viking 28 & 33/34 is a large V, certainly not that distinguishable viking head in the picture you provided.

The only other sailboat designer that I could think of that is viking-like is the Ericson which uses a viking helmet as their insignia. They started building sailboats in 1969, starting with a Bruce King design of the Ericson 23' sailboat.

I tried a few searches online to try to locate your particular boat, but came up with no result. I also shared your email with Bob Muggleston, my editor. He was intrigued by the insignia but admitted he'd never seen it, and he too reported that a quick online search resulted in zero results.

If you don't mind, I'd like to put this on our Facebook page and see if our readers/audience can help identify her.

Cheers,

Karla Sandness, CEO, CFO, Publisher

Good Old Boat Magazine

• Wow
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
So here is a thought. You "HIN" says ASTRON 847 but your sail says 846. It almost looks like the owner cannibalized a sail from a sister boat. What if ASTRON is not a real boat manufacturer but a club class organization. There may have been a sailing club that made their own racers and had a fleet of these someplace. We have been searching for manufacturers but maybe need to be searching for a sail club racing organization.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think the search term I was trying to remember is "one design" racing.

Jul 22, 2021
O' Day 14 Auburn
Howdy fellas.. just a check in, to say I never did hear anything yet on what kind of boat she is...
Maybe the one design theory is THE theory...
At any rate, I (mostly) completed some glass work on the deck, and hope to sail her soon!

Cheers,
Rich