Help with a new sail

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Next: Take that old crusty gooseneck fitting to a place that can "hard coat anodize" it, after you clean and wire brush it well. Then reinstall with a different type of pin or bolt......

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think OP should replace the boom fitting. Then attach the new sail. If it's a trailer situation, one of those that was original or another variety that are easy to place and remove. If not trailer situation a clevis pin will do nicely. A bolt will do too but I'd avoid a screw.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I urge the clevis pin. A bolt usually is a tool of convenience or an economic shortcut. It is a temporary substitute and as such works till it fails or is lost to the deep. In my experience it is not the bolt that jumps ship, it is the nut which slips through the fingers. Then the failure process begins. One tried to sail home. Eventually the bolt slips from the fitting and the sail blows. Murphy will arrange for this challenge at the least appropriate time.

A pin is just a better permanent choice.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
[QUOTE="jssailem, post: 1807406, member: 127717”] ...Eventually the bolt slips from the fitting and the sail blows… [/QUOTE]
Maybe ripping the (New) sail. Fix it , man. Fix it.

Oct 22, 2014
@NOLA looking at the condition of the SS pin, fractured near the last threads, and the rust on the other side of the goose neck there is a possibility the metal of the pin has exceeded it’s life expectancy. Replacement would be my goto action. Good on you for addressing this issue.

It would be easier in my thinking to remove the gooseneck and do the work on a bench. You may be able to save the gooseneck, on the other hand the corrosion that has occurred may have compromised the gooseneck. Getting the sail free will permit further inspection.

Sep 17, 2012
Morgan 383 Fairhaven, NY
Threaded stainless bolts, in aluminum threads, doused in saltwater creates corrosion. Old mariners put everything together with lanolin if it was meant to come apart or slide. Used to be sold at West Marine, before the shirt & fish rod era.
20240108_074931.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you decide to replace it, Dwyer still sells that end cap for the goose neck

1704724485254.png

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
The end of that threaded ss pin simply bonded to the aluminum gooseneck and he sheared the pin while attempting to spin it out. I'd guess that it would be suitable to drill out the holes in the gooseneck just enough to insert a slightly beefier clevis pin. Although I think I'd prefer a shackle instead of a pin even though a shackle isn't really needed here. A shackle would simply be easier to handle and remove rather than a small, slippery clevis pin with a ring ding. And I don't like split pins in this circumstance, either.

Oct 22, 2014
The simplicity of the original design was not bad. It provided a secure fitting to hold the sail and a simple pin to close. The issue was lack of maintenance. While not sure what the condition of the aluminum gooseneck will be after removing the sail, if practical, I would try to use the same system.

Lacking practicality in the repair, then anything that meets the need and can be serviceable.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Former Catalina dealer. Just saw this.
In the past the stainless steel tack pin was screwed into a gooseneck made of pot metal. The poster got it out the way I would have done it to. Two words of caution.

Drill out the threads slowly and use a round file to remover any burrs. Secondly, use a pin with cotter ring as suggested with the diameter of the pin close to th hole diameter

NOLA

Dec 19, 2021
Catalina 22 New Orleans Lakefront
Thanks for the advice - and i thought I was done!! I found the correct sized clevis pin at West Marine, (could not find a shackle in stock with the correct dimensions) but understand the work may not be done. It has been "cold" in New Orleans but the high will reach 71 on Thursday, so if I can get the main sail up I will do that even if I need to dor more maintenance on the gooseneck fitting. I sail in Lake Ponchartrain (which is actually an estuary with a mix of fresh and saltwater depending on where you are in the lake).

ambler

Dec 7, 2013
catalina 22 11619 Watauga Lake, TN
My '83 cat22 has that setup. A clevis pin will hold the sail in place but the long "tang" is to hook the grommet when reefing. You'll need to rig an alternate way of holding the grommet in place when reefing..

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
My '83 cat22 has that setup. A clevis pin will hold the sail in place but the long "tang" is to hook the grommet when reefing. You'll need to rig an alternate way of holding the grommet in place when reefing..
Ingenius!

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Update - after brushing, application of PB blaster and a few whacks with the rubber mallet, we did get the tack pin to turn and it was threaded on the opposite end. Unfortunately, a portion of the scre remains stuck in the oppisite eye. Will go back with a drill in a few days. Instead of resinstalling thia same type of tack pin, I will probably just install a bolt. Will post again when done in case anyone is curious. Also here is a pic of the portion of the pin we were able to extract.
That's the standard Catalina pin. Heat the fitting as you use an ez out to extract the remaining part. Repairs vary from a bolt to a pin as recommended. If you use a bolt (that what I have) I recommend that you thread a wing nut on it up to the bolt head to make a nice handle. The bolt / pin should go hand tight and then pack 1/4 turn. It should be easily removed for reefing, sail changes, etc. It should be checked occasionally for binding and be replaced / lubed if needed. Same goes for your rivets and things on your end cap. That boom looks like it has seen some substantial salt spray so other components may need a little TLC as well.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
My '83 cat22 has that setup. A clevis pin will hold the sail in place but the long "tang" is to hook the grommet when reefing. ..
One of these would work
1704841686350.jpeg

1704841709265.jpeg

just run the Cleven spin through the hole and the hook will be ready at the tabernacle when you need it for the reef tack (grommet).

Google mainsail reef hook and you’ll get many options

NOLA

Dec 19, 2021
Catalina 22 New Orleans Lakefront
We could not salvage the threads when drilling the remainder of the old pin out. Inserted a 1 and 1/8 Clevis pin which was barely long enough. For nwo will tie teh reffing tack down with a line and may ultimately replace the end cap on the goose neck. Thanks for all of the help!!!

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
That works.

Think about using a non stretch line for that job. Dyneema works well if properly lashed. Dyneema is slippery and a simple knot will not work.
A soft shackle in 3/16 dyneema might be just the ticket.