Help on a New Traveler

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Hi Everyone,
I recently purchased a 1988 Seaward 24. I want to replace the traveler on her and am looking at Harkin. They make a simple one (Model #2734, $270) and a windward sheeting model (#2746, $525). Any advice on either one of these, or alternate products would be appreciated.
Thanks,
carlos

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Hi Everyone,
I recently purchased a 1988 Seaward 24. I want to replace the traveler on her and am looking at Harkin. They make a simple one (Model #2734, $270) and a windward sheeting model (#2746, $525). Any advice on either one of these, or alternate products would be appreciated.
Thanks,
carlos
Take a look at Garhauer too.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hi Everyone,
Thanks,
carlos
Where were you planning to mount the track? That location will influence how you use the traveler.

Windward sheeting cars are cool if you're hiked out a lot, otherwise cleating at the track ends(instead of on the car) with a continuous control line will make it easy to release the leeward side if you want to pull the car above mid point.... and it will save you $250!

Mar 23, 2015
Track will be in the middle of the boom, just outside the cabin. I append a pic of a sister boat.
cec

Attachments

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
At Annapolis @Scott T-Bird was talking to the Harken rep about traveler setups. When we asked about the windward sheeting cars he wasn't that keen on them preferring traveler end cleats as @Joe suggested.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Both of my boats have travelers with end cleats as Ward says- the 25 footer has end boom sheeting and the 21 has mid boom. Both are simple and easy to use.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Windward sheeting cars work well for boats like J-24s where the crew weight needs to be on the windward rail when racing. In competitive racing the sheet and the cars will be frequently adjusted. The windward sheeting helps in these situations.

If you are not racing, put the money into something more fun.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Carlos, how do you plan to sail her? If she is for racing and you are constantly tweaking the rig to get every ounce of speed then the easiest system for you or crew to adjust the boom position is the way to go.
Each of the system Ronstan, Harken, Garhauer, Lewmar etc. have their pros and cons. Some it is money, others it is availability, others ease of use. As stated if your going to be on the rail while hiking on the edge you will find a Windward rail system advantageous.

Do you solo sail? Then controls being on the rail may be out of reach from the helm even with a tiller extension.
Before you place an order sit in the cockpit and identify your position as you tack or doing trim adjustments. Then select a traveler that matches your needs.

Mar 23, 2015
Hello everyone,
Thanks for the quick and informative responses! I sail on Lake Dillon here in Colorado and the winds change very quickly, from nothing to 30 knots and varying directions. I am no longer a "novice" sailor but still not very good ... :eek:. I almost always sail solo so need to respond all controls quickly and on my own. I recently sold a Catalina that had a Harken windward traveler car on her and I kinda liked it. As I read all these comments, I think that a simple traveler car with a block and cam cleat at each end would be best for my situation (pic appended). I don't really race even though I participate solo in Thursday night beer can "races". I have maintained my coveted last place spot each time!
Anyway, thanks for all the advice.
cec

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is a very good system. Will you need the track as well or do you have a track to try to match to that is on the boat.

You are probably getting better than you let on. After all you have had a season so you are now called a "Seasoned Sailor":laugh:

It will work well for your solo sailing. Place the traveler close enough to reach while holding the helm. It may compromise the seating a bit. You'll have to work that out. I'd encourage sitting in the cockpit at the dock with the system laid across the cockpit and mentally or physically go through the motions of sailing, trimming, adjusting, tacking, gybing the rig. See yourself moving about the boat. You'll quickly discover the best place to set the traveler.

I note that the online images of the Seaward 24 have the boom attachment for the mainsheet almost to the end of the boom. The end of the boom is a good place to attach the mainsheet to the boom. You will want the mainsheet to be vertical in alignment to the traveler. In rigging this setup you may find it an advantage to also shift the attachment to the end of the boom. It may be the best compromise for trim use and cockpit use. Only sitting on the boat and looking at all the options will you get a good sense.

Good luck.. keep us informed.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I would recommend that you get track that has the same spacing for fasteners. That will save you a lot of work. ( I haven’t downloaded your PDFs , so this comment may or may not be relevant)

All of those brands would make me happy. The biggest difference is price and weight. Garhauer is good quality and load bearing capacity for the price but is the heaviest by far. Harken gear is often the lightest for the same capacity. Both will last.

Judy
Authorized distributor for Harken, selden, ronstan, Schaefer, etc

Ps. I like Harken windward sheeting cars. They simplify tacking if you use the traveler a lot for trimming. The car doesn’t slide down when you tack and it’s less work (I shorthand a lot and steer, and trim the main simultaneously). It’s one less thing to do before you tack. I like it a lot, except in very, very light wind - then it’s more work. If you are used to it windward sheeting control and and your budget allows, I would saygo for it. It’s up to you.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2015
Hi John and Judy,
The Seaward has a wheel and I will be sitting forward of that when I solo. I should have good control of the main and jib sheets and access to the traveler. I kinda like the windward car, but the cleat direction is not adjustable and I would likely need to slide forward to adjust on a tack. After all this discussion, pretty sure that I will go with the Harken 2734 car. It is simple and the cleat can be adjusted so that the control lines are directed back to me. I'll take your advice, John, and play around a bit with the best angle.
Judy, since you distribute so many of these, is the Harken pretty good bang for the buck?

Attachments

Mar 23, 2015
Ah .. wrote before I say your response, Judy. So I was leaning in that direction until I read that the 2734 allowed cam cleat adjustment so that the control lines could be directed backwards a bit. Any issues with releasing/engaging the cleats on the windward car at an angle?

Jun 25, 2004
Ah .. wrote before I say your response, Judy. So I was leaning in that direction until I read that the 2734 allowed cam cleat adjustment so that the control lines could be directed backwards a bit. Any issues with releasing/engaging the cleats on the windward car at an angle?
IIt depends on the layout and ergonomics. I can’t see your pics, so I can’t comment.

Its very inconvenient to download your PDFs and view on my iPad so I can’t address your question. Can you upload a bunch of jpgs? Uploaded jpgs much more reader friendly because I don’t need to down load them to to my iPad to view them.

Judy

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
:plus: On the Garhauer . You can send them your old traveler if you have one and they will match the holes in the new track. Very substantial units built in California. Are you ice boating on Dillon yet?:)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Carlos, I took a look at a photo of a Seaward 24 cockpit. picseaward24103c.jpg The cockpit looks fairly narrow and the gunwales do not look all the that comfortable for sitting.

Windward sheeting cars work best when the mainsail trimmer is more or less in line with the traveller and on the rail. If your cockpit is set up like the one in the photo, I'm not sure you'll gain much if any advantage with a windward sheeting car. Especially if you are sitting in the cockpit. A fiddle block with cam cleat on a swivel will provide good control to the main sheet. The mainsheet tail will be long enough to control from the windward side.

Take a look at this photo of a J-24, the skipper is sitting on the rail, driving and trimming the mainsheet. 2003nationals1.jpg This is where a windward sheeting car comes into its own.

Jun 25, 2004
@catalanc
Is there a traveler installed now?
If so, What brand of traveler track is on there now? What size?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Another major consideration is the purchase of the traveler blocks for the control lines. Older systems were 3:1, newer ones are or 6:1.

What many of us have done is to remove the cam cleats from the traveler cars, and run the control lines aft thru bullet fairleads and place the cam cleats on the aft end of the coachroof. Some have also made these swiveling cleats.