Help, My Boat is Tipping Over!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Increased amount of water trapped under the sole? Washed the boat recently or had heavy rains?

Jun 22, 2012
Hunter 380 Seattle
Nope. I've got hatches to see almost all of the interior hull. Nothing damp, certainly nothing sloshing. BTW, mast is perpendicular, shifted stored gear completely out of port cabin, we drank all the beer--No change. Still looking for tenacles; we are ready to lop them off for dinner. Thanks everyone for ideas. I'll check back in when we get the boat on the hard.

Increased amount of water trapped under the sole? Washed the boat recently or had heavy rains?

kingle

May 24, 2011
Hunter 386 East Greenwich RI
Good day all, I’m scratching my head as to why my 380 has started listing (heeling, tipping) to the port side all the time. Almost as if there is a great weight on that side. On the dock it looks the be about 2 degrees and it certainly feels that way under foot. Yes, the fuel tank, holding tank, and half of the battery bank is on that side, but an empty fuel and holding tank don’t seem to change it, and the batteries have always been there. No changes to rigging, lockers are filled with the usual dock lines and pads. Seems to stay the same, regardless of wind over the starboard or port side. Hoping someone has insight.
My Hunter 386 also lists to port. As other readers have noted - the water tank is on the centerline forward. However, the batteries - 2 4Ds and a starter and the fuel and waste tanks are on the port side. I theorize the boat was designed this way to balance a starboard generator that I do not have. A friend had a 380 without generator. The PO relocated the batteries to the compartment in front of the galley to help balance. So - to balance the boat - buy a genset. You might not have noticed until now.

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
Do you have a water tank on either side of the hull? Did you maybe drain one side thinking that you drained the other?

My boat always lists slightly to port (the side where the galley is). In my manual, it states to drain the port side (the heavy side) tank first, then switch over to the starboard side.

• Helpful

CAVU

Mar 27, 2022
Hunter 380 Punta Gotda
I own a 2001 380 and also have the port list you mentioned. I think the lack of the genset may be a possible factor. I hadn’t thought of that. Interesting.

Jun 17, 2022
Hunter 380 Comox BC
I had the port list on my 380. Removed 160 lbs of batteries from the port settee and relocated about 48 cans of beer and pop that were stored to port in the master stateroom..... all is good now :)
If the fuel and holding tanks are full, then the list is just barely noticeable. It's been my experience that most boats will list to one side or another....

Jun 22, 2012
Hunter 380 Seattle
Following up... Pulled the boat last spring for routine love. Moved the "tool closet" to the SB side (maybe one or two big a$$ wrenches, and maybe 4 tons of beer, but I REALLY don't think that was it.) Everything seems fine now (at least until I fill the fuel and use the head) Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Looking for that squid/beer recipe.

Last edited: