Help, My Boat is Tipping Over!

Jun 22, 2012
Hunter 380 Seattle
Good day all, I’m scratching my head as to why my 380 has started listing (heeling, tipping) to the port side all the time. Almost as if there is a great weight on that side. On the dock it looks the be about 2 degrees and it certainly feels that way under foot. Yes, the fuel tank, holding tank, and half of the battery bank is on that side, but an empty fuel and holding tank don’t seem to change it, and the batteries have always been there. No changes to rigging, lockers are filled with the usual dock lines and pads. Seems to stay the same, regardless of wind over the starboard or port side. Hoping someone has insight.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Does she list the same way when you take her out? Have you added anything to the mast, near the top, like a radar antenna?

How about removed something? Redone your head or your galley with lighter equipment?

Had a grounding lately? Are your keelbolts looking strained or bent?

Are there giant squid in the area? A French sailor once reported discovering a giant squid has attached itself to his keel while in a round the world race.

I assume you've checks for the obvious water in the bilge, etc.

-Will

• Wow
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
OP notices the listing at the dock according to my reading of post #1. While sailing I think it would be hard to notice or verify a 2 degree list.
So is there current at your slip? OP has eliminated wind. How about auxiliary equipment like generator, refrigeration, Spares?
He may have to remove all weight from the boat except tanks including anchor chain, any spare anchors, and all the other crap we accumulate, (This is a good practice anyway.) to see if the boat will float evenly.
You can bet the designer meant it to be level and the builder tried to follow the plan. But you can't rule out that the fiberglass crew didn't put an extra amount on one side Monday morning. In which case move some weight to the other side.

• Helpful
Jun 22, 2012
Hunter 380 Seattle
OP notices the listing at the dock according to my reading of post #1. While sailing I think it would be hard to notice or verify a 2 degree list. [indeed, hard to tell, but it might point better on one tack vs the other; I know the leech tends to buzz more on a starboard tack—I’ll try to report back on that soon]

So is there current at your slip? [not appreciable, and it would be down the centerline.]
OP has eliminated wind. How about auxiliary equipment like generator, refrigeration, Spares? [nothing new, nothing particularly high up.]

He may have to remove all weight from the boat except tanks including anchor chain, any spare anchors, and all the other crap we accumulate, (This is a good practice anyway.) to see if the boat will float evenly. [Gah! That sounds hard! I’ll report back on that.]]

You can bet the designer meant it to be level and the builder tried to follow the plan. But you can't rule out that the fiberglass crew didn't put an extra amount on one side Monday morning. In which case move some weight to the other side.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2012
Hunter 380 Seattle
Does she list the same way when you take her out? Have you added anything to the mast, near the top, like a radar antenna? [nothing new installed; hard to sort out tilt on the high seas, but noticeable regardless of docking port or starboard, stern or bow in.]

How about removed something? Redone your head or your gallery with lighter equipment? [nope, I wish]

Had a grounding lately? Are your keelbolts looking strained or bent? [seriously? That would really suck! No groundings, getting her bottom painted in the spring.]

Are there giant squid in the area? A French sailor once reported discovering a giant squid has attached itself to his keel while in a round the world race. [murals and statues in the harbor, but there ARE orcas also. I hear they are eating rudders off of Purtugal]

I assume you've checks for the obvious water in the bilge, etc. [yep]

-Will

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I know that as I have removed weight from my boat (in my case 700-800 lbs engine and transmission) the boat has been more tender. It leans 2-4 degrees to port because there are two batteries temporarily 3ft to port of center line, a tool box, sails stacked in port head, kayak on the rail etc. all awaiting the auxiliary power system reinstall. When accomplished the boat will again sit on her lines.

Be removing the water and setting the boat up for winter you may (like me) have altered the CG of the boat. The things that you do not see as significant may actually be influential in causing the heel. To address it start by repositioning items in the boat. Leaving them in new balanced homes til spring and you can put back the water and other items for the new sailing season.

You ruled out the water ingress issue and the fear that the boat is sinking. What‘s left is a CG imbalance.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
"...but it might point better on one tack vs the other..."
This has been discussed on this forum. I think we agreed that sailing better on one tack vs. the other is common. Many boats do that and boat owners have spent tens of thousands of dollars trying to correct that mostly to no avail.
I think that it is a result of the fact that wind does not encounter the sails in a straight line. The wind comes across a body of water in a curve. It's easy to imagine that on one tack that curve is in harmony with the curves of the sail. And on the other tack the curve is at odds with the curve of the sail. I did not think this up. I read it somewhere although I can't identify a source. Others may disagree.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
DO you pull your boat out for the season? Could the hull becoming waterlogged?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
You may want to check if your mast is perpendicular to the deck. Check by using the mainsail halyard and measure to the toe rail on each side. Adjust mast top position with turnbuckles on the side stays if required.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
are you located where there is a current? Water current against the keel can have an effect..

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
are you located where there is a current?
Unless you are lake sailing in the PacificNW there is a current 4 times a day.
Where you are located determines the speed of the current.
Here is a screen shot of the area showing the tidal currents at 05:15 this morning.
Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 7.29.52 AM.png

Shilshole Bay is a popular marina in the Seattle Area.
Here is today's tidal change.
1669649651222.png

• Helpful
Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Except for the fact that he said that the listing problem is a new development. Something has changed, and that's what he needs to figure out.

I vote for the giant squid. :p