Help me purchase the right 30 Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael Brill

My name is Michael and I am looking to purchase a Catalina 30. Through my shopping I have become a little confused. I am looking for an older boat 75 to 85. My budget is a little limiting. How does the 2cyn hold up to the 3cyn diesal. Should that be one of my main concerns because of the cost of engine replacement. I also want hot an cold running water both AC and DC power. If i was to purchase a boat that needed to be modified to add hot and cold running water is that a big job. Am i talking in the thousands or a few hundred. Any advice would be helpful.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

You're on the right track

Start with a list of what you want in your boat & how much you have to spend & you're WAAAY ahead of the game. I'd just look at ones with the h/c water system already installed. You're not going to find that much of a difference to justify installing one yourself. Just about any C30 you look at should have both AC & DC power. Each system may vary, but they should all have them. Maybe what you need to do is learn about how each system should be set up so you can identify a good set up & a dangerous one. I'm not much help there but Nigel Calder literally wrote the book on boats electrical systems. You can find it at Amazon or any marine store. Can't recall the exact title but it's something to the effect of "The Complete Boatowner's Electrical Handbook" or some such. It's the bible! Regarding the engine: Personally, I'd look for the one in the best shape. The 3 cyl will give you more power but if it's a choice between a well maintained 2 cyl & a poorly maintained 3 cyl, I'd go with 2 cyl any day. That said, it's really hard to kill a diesel & most boatowners are pretty conscientious about maintenance. In any case, both the 2 & 3 cyls will probably last longer than you'll own the boat! Have fun! LaDonna

B

Bob Camarena

Condition, Condition, Condition and Equipment

In real estate it's location, location, location, in boats, condition is everything. A well maintained 1980 is better than a poorly maintained 86. You didn't mention your location, but in my area (Northern CA) we have a choice between freshwater boats (Delta) and saltwater boats (SF Bay). Generally, the freshwater boats are in better condition. Educate yourself between cosmetic issues (weathered teak, surface damage to gelcoat) and big problems such as water-logged decks, major engine problems, etc. You'll also learn to spot the difference between deterioration and just dirty. Some otherwise well-maintained boats sit for a while before being sold and just need some TLD. Others have been truly neglected. The pressure hot water system should be in most of the boats in your age range, but it's probably only a few hundred to add. Try to find one with the shower option in the head. The shower isn't that great to use since the whole head gets wet, but the shower equipped boat has extra water tankage. A bigger expense is upgrading from an alcohol stove to propane, which will be about $1,300 on a do-it-yourself basis. Look for newer sails in good condition and a dodger in good condition. Both of these will cost $1,000's to replace. The same goes for roller furling if you want it. There is usually not that much price difference between a boat with good sails and one with poor sails. Don't put much extra value on a boat with "eight bags of sails", most are likely to be old and blown out. Check the web or your local sailmaker for prices on the sails you're likely to want and factor that into your purchase decision. LaDonna is right on about the engine. My 81 has the 5411, 2 cylinder diesel. I'd rather have the 3 cylinder, but the boat was in fantastic condition and a newer boat with the bigger engine would have been at least $5,000 more. Do some research on when Catalina made changes to the boat. In the late 70's the rudder was modified, etc. Check out the Catalina 30 National Association's web page and order the Tech Talk Manual written by Dick Dickens. It has a wealth of information on the C-30 and is indispensable to owners and prospective owners. It also lists the dates of the key changes. Good luck.

R

Ron

Survey, Survey, Survey.

After recently purchasing an 83 Catalina 30. I have learned the value of a survey. If you have one done you will learn what needs attention and what really need fixing. Mine had a recent survey so I decided not to have one done. You know "money $$$". The couple that sold me the boat had it surveyed 4 years ago. Other than changing the oil, and repairing some small blisters, everything checked out ok. I have a AC water heater. When it is heated it will hold it's heat for over a day. I did not know they had a DC heater. I also have the 5411 2 cylinder diesel. The only thing that needs fixing is the motor mounts and the coupling to the shaft. CHECK FOR RUST! Other than that I don't have a lot of speed to windward, but she sips the diesel slowly. Good luck, the 30 is a great boat for the money. I hope you can find a boat that was cared for as much as mine. Also check the mast for corrosion. Mine will be getting a new white finish this spring.

M

Mark Gale

right boat

Go for the larger diesel. You will be underpowered with the 2-cylinder. Don't listen to the tall vs. standard rig debate unless you plan to race seriously in light air. Our standard rig is more often over-powered than under on Lake Michigan. If you're cruising with 30 miles to go and the wind dies, you're going to motor anyway. On early models stay away from steel keel bolts. You want stainless. Updating water is easy. Try to get a dodger. They are very expensive new and even an old one will be be benefit. Be sure to have a survey. As a previous note said, get the TechTalk manual from the C30 site and read it. We love our '83. It had the advantage of being kept inside during winters and is in great shape. Condition will vary drastically on older boats. Good luck, --Mark

J

Joe Spadaro

The Right Catalina 30

Michael. An older (late1975 to 1985) is probably your better bet. The early 80's have been improved over the 70's. Catalina has used the same molds for all of the catalina 30's Mark I 1974-1986 Mark II 1986-1993 Mark III 1993+ More than likely an early 80's have their sails replaced and often have been repowered. I am also looking for a Catalina 30 and after much research my choice would be a late 1986 (Mark II). I feel it is the best value for the money. Good Luck Joe

B

Bob Camarena

TLD?

I meant TLC in my earlier post. I'd also echo the advice on tall rig vs. standard. Unless there's a clear predominance in your area that could affect re-sale or if you race, I'd go for the standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.