Help Identifying model

apell

Aug 28, 2018
O'Day 12 Kingston
Just got back....The boat measures 23' stem to stern. The transom is plumb, but has an outward arc. The cutout in the transom appears to be aftermarket, as do the little windows in the forward cabin. There is a shoal keel (which looks rough.) The HIN is what it is. I did not measure width, and didn't climb about to check out the cabin. There are two teak panels/doors to go below into the cabin. The cockpit is not that large, maybe 6' long. The trailer is not a sailboat trailer and is in fairly rough shape.. Here are some other pics...
I have decided to let it pass and will keep looking for a Mariner...
thanks all.
a

Attachments

apell

Aug 28, 2018
O'Day 12 Kingston
I think that's it. But, it was made in 72..and the model letter "L" just doesn't show up. It even has the cut out motor mount.
The boat was last registered in '83..so it might have been sitting for quite a few years...on a motorboat trailer that has slightly depressed the hull...

Anyway...mystery solved..
Way beyond me to deal with..

Thanks all.
A

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You will like the Mariner better; 7' cockpit. Better for sailing with friends.

-Will

apell

Aug 28, 2018
O'Day 12 Kingston
You will like the Mariner better; 7' cockpit. Better for sailing with friends.

-Will
Well, I'll be doing this solo...7' cockpit I don't need... just getting it because I've read it's very forgiving, and seems like a good boat for the mid Hudson River where I am. At my age, I won't be racing. I've looked at the Daysailer, which is a possibility. And a Blue Jay, and Rhodes Wood Pussy.
I need a good, easy going, beginners boat...the West Wight Potter 19 I looked at just seemed Ike so much boat, and I didn't like the yard high freeboard..fretboard...

Thanks. Still looking. A guy in northern Maine has that Mariner, but it's a 7- hr drive. One way..
A

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There are a lot of Mariners in New Jersey, NY and Connecticut. In fact, those are the most active areas in the MCA. The Lake George region is where I bought mine. Rockland ME. is where Stuart Marine is still building them. Check their web site for used ones, as well.
Used Boat Index — Stuart Marine Corp.

-Will

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
That would be a 1972 O'DAY 23 (aka: 23-1).

XDYL03861172
XDY
= O'DAY
L = ?? There is no Model designated by an L, but the pictures are definitely an O'DAY 23, fixed-top (as opposed to pop-top) The 23 (all years) was designated by "T", but as I say, pictures are of a O 23.
0386 = Class# (this was the 386th O'DAY 23 built
1172 = November 1972 build month/Year.
Transom cur-out was to mount outboard, eliminating the need for an outboard mounting bracket, just clamp motor right to transom in that cut-out.
Here are a few picture of sister ships.

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
The 20 with an added window and transom cutout is a decent guess, but even that was first built in 73. I can’t find anything in the O’Day lineup at O'Day Corp. Archives - sailboatdata that fits, especially with a model year of 72.
The 20 was visibly smaller and the transom on the 20 had a slight reverse "rake" (angle), the 23-1 has a near-vertical transom as the pictured boat clearly has.

Jun 2, 2004
Just got back....The boat measures 23' stem to stern. The transom is plumb, but has an outward arc. The cutout in the transom appears to be aftermarket, as do the little windows in the forward cabin. There is a shoal keel (which looks rough.) The HIN is what it is. I did not measure width, and didn't climb about to check out the cabin. There are two teak panels/doors to go below into the cabin. The cockpit is not that large, maybe 6' long. The trailer is not a sailboat trailer and is in fairly rough shape.. Here are some other pics...
I have decided to let it pass and will keep looking for a Mariner...
thanks all.
a
The transom cut-out was original, from the factory. Forward ports (windows) also original (at least boat would have originally had ports there) The trailer looks to have been properly set up for an O'DAY 23, note the rollers under the keel, powerboat trailer would not need those all together in that spot, they would be spaced out along trailer to fully support the centerline of the hull. The rollers on posts are also set up for a shoal-keel sailboat. Bunks will support the boat over a longer area, but this roller setup is common on sailboat trailers for easier launching/hauling. Turns out, the setup on that boat is pretty common, (Not sure why each picture comes up multiple times?)
01.jpg08a.jpg06.jpg
01.jpg
08a.jpg
06.jpg
01.jpg08a.jpg06.jpg01.jpg08a.jpg06.jpg01.jpgcheck thes01.jpg08a.jpge out.

Attachments

Last edited:

apell

Aug 28, 2018
O'Day 12 Kingston
The transom cut-out was original, from the factory. Forward ports (windows) also original (at least boat would have originally had ports there) The trailer looks to have been properly set up for an O'DAY 23, note the rollers under the keel, powerboat trailer would not need those all together in that spot, they would be spaced out along trailer to fully support the centerline of the hull. The rollers on posts are also set up for a shoal-keel sailboat. Bunks will support the boat over a longer area, but this roller setup is common on sailboat trailers for easier launching/hauling. Turns out, the setup on that boat is pretty common, (Not sure why each picture comes up multiple times?)
View attachment 216633View attachment 216634View attachment 216635View attachment 216633View attachment 216634View attachment 216635View attachment 216633View attachment 216634View attachment 216635View attachment 216633View attachment 216634View attachment 216635View attachment 216633check thesView attachment 216633View attachment 216634e out.
That's it. If I had a bigger vehicle and the wherewithal, it is quite a deal..(and undertaking)

Thanks all.