Help Get Control Of Ethanol

bletso

Aug 20, 2013
Globe 38 PCB
Thinking? Well how about how much they can get for the next election campaign.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Another strike against the Ethanol project- it is taking from food production. The Ethanol demand has driven up cost for corn silage impacting the food sources for our dairy, beef, pork, and chicken. All of these protein sources are costing more because we've increased the cost of a primary feed. What were they thinking?
They weren't thinking.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
We have Ethanol free gas available near most of our local boat ramps. This is what I use for my old Evinrude on the dinghy.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I just signed. Bought a Lehr propane for the dinghy in 2014. No problems since. My 2003 Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke was a good engine until ethanol. We don't use the dinghy much, even when cruising, and that may have been the primary reason it stayed gummed up. No problem with the Lehr. I do an air bleed, pull the cord and we are running after sitting weeks.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I just signed. Bought a Lehr propane for the dinghy in 2014. No problems since. My 2003 Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke was a good engine until ethanol. We don't use the dinghy much, even when cruising, and that may have been the primary reason it stayed gummed up. No problem with the Lehr. I do an air bleed, pull the cord and we are running after sitting weeks.
:plus:

I'm with Jerry. One less fuel to have aboard. I split the Propane between the outboard and the grill. No problems yet. Just change the lower unit lube occasionally and check for water in lower unit at the same time. You do have to open the cover to bleed the air. It is the only down side I have found.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
If you do what I suggested in post 15 you won't have any problems. It's not that hard. Really.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Thinwater; you did some real yeoman's work with that fuel corrosion testing and gasoline management and treatment research (Practical-Sailor) . I bought a new fuel tank capable of obtaining a good seal, implemented recommended fuel treatments and have had no problems in the two years since. In hindsight I realize that my fuel management practices were out-dated and the source of my problem. Anyone who is managing their vessel gasoline fuels like they did "in the good old days" is going to have a problem. Adapt.

Jun 4, 2004
- -First 310 -
Agreed. It was bad politics from the start.

Meanwhile you really can learn to live with it. I've done a bunch of testing for ASTM and mags and I've learned how to make it painless:
  1. Keep the vents closed on integral tanks and portable tanks when not actually running. Even an overnight rain can ruin the fuel. Been there. But no vent = no aging or water pick-up.
We've tried to close the vents on the external tanks on the pontoon boat. Had a problem with fuel being forced out of the tanks as the fuel heated during the day.

Is there some type of value that will prevent this and still keep the moisture out?

We're currently pulling the tanks off the pontoon after every use and storing them in the boathouse with the vents open. This along with a fuel additive have solved our fuel problems, but it's a pain to always have to pull the tanks.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Randy, time for some new fuel line snap connectors...or all new hose assemblies. Better yet, disconnect fuel lines when not in use. And if you read Thinwater, you need to keep that tank closed all the time when not used. I once left my fuel lines connected to my outboard and the pressurized fuel filled my outboard cylinders and oil sump with fuel. Disconnect when not in use, and stow.

Mar 26, 2011
We've tried to close the vents on the external tanks on the pontoon boat. Had a problem with fuel being forced out of the tanks as the fuel heated during the day.

Is there some type of value that will prevent this and still keep the moisture out?

We're currently pulling the tanks off the pontoon after every use and storing them in the boathouse with the vents open. This along with a fuel additive have solved our fuel problems, but it's a pain to always have to pull the tanks.
Have you considered covering them to keep the sun off? They will also last longer.

Mar 26, 2011
Randy, time for some new fuel line snap connectors...or all new hose assemblies. Better yet, disconnect fuel lines when not in use. And if you read Thinwater, you need to keep that tank closed all the time when not used. I once left my fuel lines connected to my outboard and the pressurized fuel filled my outboard cylinders and oil sump with fuel. Disconnect when not in use, and stow.
A valid point, perhaps. E10 does have a higher vapor pressure. However...
  1. The float valve in the carb must be defective.
  2. Installing a cut-off valve would be much easier.
  3. Covering them to keep the sun off should solve the problem. You can't leave the tank in the blazing sun.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Vapor pressure indeed, the dink tank takes on the look of a mis-shaped beach ball. I don't have a suitable space for storing the tank other than in the dink, but it is easy enough to take the fuel hose off and store it aboard. I thought about painting the tank white or silver but at this point my plan is to simply replace the tank every 5 years.

Jun 4, 2004
- -First 310 -
A valid point, perhaps. E10 does have a higher vapor pressure. However...
  1. The float valve in the carb must be defective.
  2. Installing a cut-off valve would be much easier.
  3. Covering them to keep the sun off should solve the problem. You can't leave the tank in the blazing sun.
The tanks are the red plastic type and we were disconnecting the hose connection to the motor. With the vent closed fuel was still being forced out the connector. I suppose the connector could be bad, but we have 2 tanks and both are doing the same thing. We'll probably just continue to store the tanks in the boathouse between use. Thanks for the ideas.