Help: Centerboard has popped out after collision

May 14, 2017
Oday 20 Smith Mountain Lake
I am a new owner of a 75 Oday 20 with a small cabin and pull up centerboard in a sealed trunk.

Several weeks ago in high winds we hit a hidden object hard and the centerboard was then seen floating and banging against the boat.

We returned to the cove and I cut the centerboard free. It is still usable but the boat sits at a dock. I've had daysailers before this and used to things being accessible.

What exactly is involved to fix this? I can pull it out of the water and know I'll probably need a new pin but clueless on how to start on this. Ugh! Any help is appreciated!

Craig

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I had one of those O'day 20's. Very nice boat.

Absolutely you have to get it out of the water. Job one is assess damage. I would assume you already know what, if any damage has been done to the board. Then it's a matter of assessing how much damage there is underneath, to the centerboard trunk, to the pin, and the hull. Who knows until you have a good look?

Good idea to take some well lit, sharply focused photos to share here.

May 14, 2017
Oday 20 Smith Mountain Lake
Ok thanks. It seems I have my work cut out for me. The centerboard has some light damage at bottom but otherwise is usable. The bilge is not taking on water, thankfully.

I'm going to have to get it on a trailer. I will definitely post pictures in a few weeks.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I would guess you tore the centerboard from the pin. That would be easier to repair than tearing the pin from the boat because of possible damage to the trunk. Either way, it should not be too critical.
Repairing the centerboard means rebuilding the hole for the pin. You will need to remove the mounting plate and spacers for the pin no matter what you damaged.
If you damaged the trunk by pulling the pin out, you will find that after you remove the mounting plate and spacers. You may need to replace the pin and spacers.