Helm Seating - What do you do? (H38)

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Agree with Nodak7 that standing at the helm for long hours is not reasonable. I often sail standing at the helm when my strict attention is required. My helm seat front folds up to provide a comfortable leaning post when standing. MFD, for cruising boats sailing for long hours; consider that square rigged ships of old probably changed helmsmen every four hours or so due to fatigue. Many cruisers today do not have crew for such sharing of helm duty.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
To add to the last post, have your local canvas shop fabricate a fit-for-purpose cushion is contoured to the helm seat to a height acceptable to you and strapped to the seat using snaps. Also have them modify the dodger to give you a larger window as you suggested AND, if necessary, modify the instrument locations head of the wheel to optimize your visibility while sitting at the helm behind the wheel.
On the list for this summer is to entirely replace and reconfigure all the cockpit canvas so this will be taken into account. That will help some, but I still need to be elevated maybe 6" or so for best visibility over the instruments. I have a navpod with the chartplotter, often an iPad, and below that the compass and wind and autopilot heads. Depth and speed are mounted over companionway which I can see easily but are also repeated on the chartplotter. Chartplotter is currently at exactly the wrong angle to see while seated :(

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
Here was my solution and it works great!
Interesting. For me, mounting it on the swing up helm "seat" area would prevent flipping that over to get down on the transom which is imperative to access stern lockers, swim ladder, board the dingy, and would likely obstruct hauling the dingy up. It would probably be a little far back from the wheel also. Permanently mounting on the cockpit floor would be difficult and would obstruct movement in the cockpit, e.g. my handling jib sheets or traveller control lines as well as block emergency tiller.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
Regarding the dodger, unless your boat is prone to splash coming over the bow and into the cockpit you would be better off without it IMHO.
The problem is more rain. I don't like sailing with ski goggles on although in heavy/driving rain its required.

• Ha
Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
The previous owner of our boat designed this seat for our 08 H36 which we have since also replicated for an 03 H356 with some minor modifications. This is very comfortable for us to sit on as well as lean on at the helm. When we need access to the swim step it can stow under the dodger. Our dodger is very tall so easy to see under even for my over 6 ft tall husband.
I think this is the best option yet. Thanks. I'll whip something up and see how it goes.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I was on a friends boat taking a photo of a Bimini frame and noticed this raised seat on their C34. I can ask the owner where they had it made if interested.

IMG_2164.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@ward. Looks like one of those Closed Cell Foam seats from the same company that makes closed cell foam cockpit cushions. I have heard it referred to as a saddle.
Here is one site.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@ward. Looks like one of those Closed Cell Foam seats from the same company that makes closed cell foam cockpit cushions. I have heard it referred to as a saddle.
Here is one site.
Sure looks like a C Cushion saddle. I believe it was C Cushion who I talked to at the Vancouver Boat Show who said the max height was 7" when I was looking for 12". Maybe that's why the seat in the photo looks like two pieces.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I agree that is the last place I saw them. Think they were at the Annapolis show as well. Weren't they manufacturing in Texas?