Heating the forepeak

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
How do you keep your forepeak warm? I am living aboard in San Francisco Bay and have a 1500W convection baseboard installed from Home Depot which makes the cabin very dry and warm. But not enough warm air gets into the forepeak and I am trying to find some tricks to supplement the heat there. Electric blanket in bed? Some clever heating elements in the shelves?

Silence is top priority. This is a Catalina 30.

Cheers!
-Patrick

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
The best solution I have seen is the diesel heaters often installed on boats in the San Juans to support year round use. They are quiet, efficient, and safe. We twice chartered a Catalina 30 with one in the main cabin there. You could run a duct from the main cabin to the forward berth, or install the heater forward. You do have to run a flue through the overhead, but they seem to have good solutions for that.

Our solution is a mattress liner, and a good comforter/quilt on top, but our cold weather cruising is limited to a few weeks at the beginning and end of the season.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
You talking about forward cabin I'd say insulation either the hatch is drafty or ya getting cold air seeping out anchor locker ; on deck or in the cockpit I use a propane camping heater while winter sailing but that emits carbon monoxide and ya can't sleep with that on.

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
The best solution I have seen is the diesel heaters often installed on boats in the San Juans to support year round use. They are quiet, efficient, and safe. We twice chartered a Catalina 30 with one in the main cabin there. You could run a duct from the main cabin to the forward berth, or install the heater forward. You do have to run a flue through the overhead, but they seem to have good solutions for that.

Our solution is a mattress liner, and a good comforter/quilt on top, but our cold weather cruising is limited to a few weeks at the beginning and end of the season.
Are you suggesting forced air or one of the wall mounted diesel heaters? I'd really like to stay away from forced air for comfort and noise reasons, despite the relative convenience of being able to direct the output to specific areas of the boat.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
A warm body induces some cuddling by necessity, a small fan mounted in the throughway into the forward cabin to circulate that heat from the main salon.

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
A warm body induces some cuddling by necessity, a small fan mounted in the throughway into the forward cabin to circulate that heat from the main salon.
And where do you find this "cuddling" device? Home Depot? Do they come with a livaboard warranty for standard units or do they have units made especially for the lifestyle?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Electric blanket in bed? Some clever heating elements in the shelves?

Silence is top priority.
If silence is your goal everywhere on the boat then a diesel heater is out. Diesel heaters come in two flavors: air or hydronic. The air ones don't make much noise, but if that's your criteria, so be it. Generally the heaters are placed in a cockpit locker and the ducts or pipes get routed into the cabin. Hydronic is quieter in the cabin.

Since the heat you have works for the saloon, then get an electric blanket, although you'd have to turn the heat down when you plug the blanket in to avoid tripping the main AC breaker, depending on the loads, especially if you only have a 15A service. With 30A you'd be OK. Do the math.

A fan is a good idea. But you don't like noise. Can't have everything, now can we? :)

I sailed in SF for 35 years, and while I didn't liveaboard, I sailed and anchored out lots of times during the winter with just a catalytic heater, equivalent to a 1500 watt electric heater. It was cold(er) in the V berth, but bearable, with a good sleeping bag or two or a big duvet. Now that I am on Vancouver Island, it's a lot colder and I have to either curtail my sailing or install a diesel heater. It snowed last night and it's 0C!!! You won't see that where you live.

Our real trawler lamp http://www.westmarine.com/buy/weems-plath--trawler-lamp--6723563 also made a BIG contribution. Still does. It HAS to be REAL one like the link with that type of burner. A simpler one with just a wick won't do squat.

If you have 30A service you could get another electric heater, but couldn't run you water heater at the same time. Again, do the math on the loads. You shouldn't be running the water heater for any longer than it takes to heat the water anyway. It's becomes a management issue.

Good luck.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Well I didn't find any at Home Depot, but I did luck out at the grocery store a long time ago, don't remember what store it was, the warranty can be a lifetime warranty if you buy up to the premium model and keep up with regular servicing recommended in the manual.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
A heated mattress pad work well too.

I would try using a fan in the salon to move the warmer air into the sleeping area. This helps with the heat and the moisture too.

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
There is a MANUAL?? Why didn't anyone tell me. I've been running madly through the mine field all these years.
Yeah, likewise. Mine's covered in mildew after accidentally leaving it under the hull liner. It's for an old revision anyway, they keep changing the specs.