Headstay modification

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter H23 Southwind YC, Milford, Kansas
Thinking about a roller furler for next season. The CDI FF2 furler instructions indicate that there must be a toggle at both ends of the forestay. On my 1985 Hunter 23 there is a rather peculiar upper end attachment point that consists of a slot into which and sort of ball shaped end of the forestay fits. I am wondering if that needs to be replaced with a new forestay and a new attachment point. What advice from those of you who have installed a furler on a Hunter 23 ????

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
My forestay has a T-Ball fitting at the top like yours and my FF2 works just fine.
-Z

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
I have looked into it a lot. it's very possible and not hard. I called the guys at riggingonly.com. Don't remember the pricing for the changes for the forestay but not too much. There is a place online that sells the cdi, sail, and attachments in one package, minus the forestay and parts to raise the attachment out of the anchor locker. in the end I decided to install a downhaul and keep the Hank on. Because of raising the tack of the sail so much for the CDI system making the foot so different to keep at 100% of Hank on you would need a larger sail. In my opinion. With the downhaul I find almost everything as easy as a furler. We charter a couple times a year larger boats and I would always want one on them. But for the 23 not so much

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Call cdi international in Canada and talk with them. Tell them 23 wing keel which requires tangs to raise the furling drum above the deck. They know the boat and the tang length. I have worked with them.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Also call Dave Groshong at the forum store and he is aware too. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me via private message

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Do not forget folks this is a hunter 23 wing keel which which the forestay chain plate is inside the anchor well, not on top of the deck